“Our Favorite Hotel in Alaska”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is my favorite hotel in Anchorage.
It is located in downtown Anchorage and is within walking distance to the PAC (Performing Arts Center) and several good restaurants and bars.
The Captain Cook is the nicest hotel I have stayed at in Alaska - It is considered upscale for Anchorage/Alaska.
I stay here a couple of times each year. With that said, Anchorage does not really have any hotels that I would consider 5 star. If I can get a reservation at The Captain Cook for a decent price (regular room less then $99-$125 Fall/Winter/Spring) (Jr. Suite $125-175 Fall/Winter/Spring) I book it and I am very happy with the accommodations at that price point...if you need a hotel in the Summer expect to pay a premium; probably around $350.00+ for a basic room and at that price point you will probably be disappointed.
The captain Cook has a very nice restaurant at the top called the Crow's Nest (expensive) - I like to have coffee service and dessert or a glass of wine there. It also has a wine bar/bistro (Whale's Tail) and another pub type restaurant (Fletcher's) - I have not eaten at either of those two places. I have had breakfast in the 4th restaurant (The Café) - it is just "okay" and I can't recommend it.
The reason this hotel is my favorite is: the staff are usually very nice, the lobby is decorated very nicely during the holidays, the hotel is clean and the common areas are nice, I can park in the covered Captain Cook parking garage (sometimes it is included in the price of the room and sometimes it isn't - check the fine print) the location is perfect for downtown Anchorage, it is near some of my favorite restaurant and bars and within walking distance to the PAC.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Aurora_21,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your detailed review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. You can always find really good deals in the off season and some real finds during the peak as well. Look to book our packages that come with breakfast credits, parking, athletic club access, and more. The value is excellent and it provides a great platform for exploring Anchorage. We look forward to seeing you again this year.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hotel Captain Cook has:
A great location, excellent access to Anchorage and beyond, great restaurants and shops, and friendly and professional staff.
One staff that stands out for me is the daytime concierge, Brian. Prior to arriving at the hotel I had a conversation with him that helped ease my concern about accessing certain points of interest and other details about my upcoming trip. From my initial call to Brian to my last day, he was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, professional and made my stay an exceptional one.
Thank you Brian!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa11182014

Dear Lisa11182014,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we appreciate you for sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. Brain has been a staple at the Captain Cook for the last 10 years. His extensive knowledge and professionalism has a profoundly positive impact on our guests. I am happy to see he was able to provide clarity in a big state. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lovely hotel, tastefully decorated and provides great access to the highlights of Anchorage. The room was clean, nicely appointed with a very comfortable bed and linens. Can't say enough positive about all the staff we encountered. We had a late flight out and had had a medical issue arise the prior day and they were very accommodating to see that all our needs were met. If in this area again we would certainly return to this beautiful caring hotel!

1  Thank Cindy45_12

Dear Cindy45_12,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Such a warm review. Rooms, amenities, all that set aside, it's truly an pleasure to step up and take care of guests in need. How is everything? I remember you specifically and was hoping to hear how the progress is going. I was very proud of our team that worked diligently to make sure you were taken care. I'd love to hear from you, talk to you soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a great room, very clean and beautiful view. Our room was a corner room so we had windows on 2 sides. Our friends had one down that hall and had no view at all though. The bathroom are a bit small and awkward, but ok. The room was huge, we loved it. Went to the pool/hot tub after walking on a glacier. It helped with sore muscles. I would stay here again. Lots of places to eat and shop without ever having to leave the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cmbbell

Dear Cmbbell,

Thank your for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. It's always nice to come back and relax in the Hot Tub after an adventurous hike on one of Alaska's awesome glaciers. Thank you from visiting from Florida and we'd love to see you again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent our first night on land in Anchorage at this awesome hotel. Had a corner junior suite with a great view. Bed was so comfy. Got the parking and breakfast package. Breakfast at the cafe was excellent. Don't let a line deter you. It moved pretty quickly.

Room Tip: Request a high floor. We had a city view but could also see the mountains.

Dear Tricia198,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. What a nice review. I love it when people from Mass visit because you're always so down to earth. I spent 2 months in Boston and had a blast, great people live there! Come visit us again, tons more to see!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed for one night prior to an Alaska cruise. Princess cruises arranged the hotel.
It was truly a "run of the house" room category. Low floor, no view, and two very small beds.
It was very crowded with cruise passengers and some kind of convention.
I didn't feel the love at this place.
No future trips planned for this hotel.

Dear oxmyrsis,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review. The Hotel does receive lots of requests for high floor rooms with great views because Alaska is gorgeous. Sometimes we aren't able to accommodate those requests do to already occupied rooms. Come back and see us in the future, send me an email, and I'll hand select you a room. Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed AK.

guestservices@captaincook.com

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Hotel Captain Cook offered a great start for our Alaskan vacation. Our room was booked for us by Princess Cruises as a start to our land tour. This is a very attractive hotel with shops and boutiques around the lobby. Good central location within walking distance to restaurants and bars. Our room was roomy, quiet and very well appointed. I can not imagine a better first stop for our vacation in Alaska.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sambo53,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. It's always a pleasure to get our guests off to a great start to their Alaskan Vacation. That's what it's all about really. Seeing Alaska and all of it's splendor. I hope you had a great time in the 49th State and we look forward to your next visit.