“Captain Cook Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Anchorage, Alaska
“Captain Cook Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Captain Cook, but there are a few things I wish I had known before I went. First, the hotel does not have air conditioning and the rooms on the upper floors can actually get quite warm during the summer. We stayed on an upper floor with a mountain view, and that side of the tower heated up quite a bit. There was only one small window and we slept with the fan on, but were still very hot (even though it was only 70 degrees outside). Next time I would stay on a lower floor if coming in the summer for that reason. Second, parking in their garage is really expensive. I was shocked to find out that parking is over $25 a day in the garage that is a half block or so away. After parking, I found out that it was included in my room rate so this was not an issue for me, but I do not believe that it is included in all room rates. If you are there over the weekend street parking is free and very easy. Third, room service is fairly inexpensive. We ordered a pizza that was quite good and was only $16 or so including the room service fee. Fourth, the club floor has a lounge with a great view and free nonalchoholic beverages and breakfast. Whether this is a good deal depends on how much you would spend on breakfast and drinks, but we found that for not much more money, we enjoyed the club floor (although we did not enjoy that you have to keep track of a special metal key to make the elevator stop at the club floor).

Overall, I liked the hotel. I had heard that it was one of the nicest places in town, and therefore was a bit surprised to find that it is fairly dated (1970s colors and beadspreads, the old (and not particularly comfortable) styles of beds and pillows, kitschy decor with everything named after various captain cook adventures). However, the hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and efficient, and there are some great views of the inlet. There is definitely a cruise ship feeling, but I suspect that would be difficult to avoid in Anchorage in any hotel. This is a solid hotel choice for families or business travelers.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Finnish first
Flagstaff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

Stayed at the Captain Cook prior to heading to Denali and then on a cruise. I am a travel agent (Journeys Around the World) but I was on my own vacation. This is a great hotel...certainly one of the best in Anchorage (also stayed a night at the Marriott and definitely preferred the Captain Cook). The staff were very friendly, attentive and accomodating...worked hard to get us an upper room floor with a spectacular view...and a window that opened! Room was a good size with a separate sitting area. Hotel bar and food was good; had some interesting shops in the lobby too including a nice sporting goods shop in case you forgot something. The outside of the hotel is pretty bland looking and the dark wood in the lobby made the lobby feel dark and dated but I prefer this to a hotel where I can't tell what city I am in!

We had gone to the hotel bar but then decided to bring our glass of wine back to our room toe enjoy the view from our sitting area...since we weren't allowed to carry our drinks through the building, they sent a waitress with us carrying our glasses of wine which was extremely nice of them to do!

The front desk clerk at the Captain Cook had suggested we go to the Saturday Market (which was great!) and try the salmon burritos...they were absolutely outstanding. We also ate dinner at the Glacier Brewhouse which was crowded but fun...great food and beer. We were able to find a table in the "bar" area which serves the same food but is first come, rather than a 1 1/2 hour wait in the main dining area (although the areas are really all combined and you can't tell much difference between the two). We also ate breakfast at the Snow City Diner while in Anchorage and that was filled with locals and a fabulous breakfast/lunch type of place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Suburban Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

We had a adjoining suite, with a master, and then a separate bedroom with two beds with a living room that accomodates a rollaway (and has a separate full bath). So, the room was big, had the right stuff we needed, and functionally was fantastic. The problem is that the hotel needs a significant renovation, so it's feeling is that it was a pretty nice hotel 30 years ago and has pedaled in place since then. Because of our need with three teenagers, the room configuration was fantastic. But don't expect this to be a top-shelp hotel in say a major city. Anchorage has 230,000 residents, and this hotel befits a better hotel in a midwestern town of that size (including all metropolitan area). Moreover, Anchorage itself is not really worth venturing to; if you have a reason to be there due to flights, etc., and want a night, then this place is well serviceable. Nothing more.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

We stayed as part of a small package group of English people travelling on a small expedition cruise ship.
Perfectly adequate for our 2 night stay prior to the cruise but would not personally chose.
Caters for the mass tourism market and is obviously the long term choice of the main cruise ship lines, some of which have offices there! As such it was overrun with mainly middle aged / old Americans.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
frbill92@hotmail.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

I have made countless trips to Anchorage for business and especially leisure. This was the first time I stayed at the Captain Cook. It was pricey but well worth the money. In the past I've stayed at the Westmark, Sheraton, Hilton--but there is no comparison to this remarkable hotel. Let me highlight a few things I loved. First, I loved the location. it was close to everything. The check-in staff was friendly and accommodating. The Hotel is classy inside from the moment you walk into the lobby. But the rooms are what make this hotel a winner for me. The bathroom decor was attractive and plush. The bed was heavenly. I was on the 11th floor and had a spectacular view of the inlet. The room decor was stylish with a flat screen TV. Like I said, it was a bit spendy, but well worth the extra money if you want to pamper yourself. It's as good as any 5 star hotel I've stayed in for beauty and comfort.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I am a frequent business guest at the Captain Cook, I visit 3 times a year. The hotel is a throwback to a time of more unique hotels when the chains were not as ubiquitous. The Captain Cook isn't that pretty from the outside but that which is lacking on the outside is more than made up for on the inside. Great coffee shop in the am, great food in several restaurants in the pm. The rooms are nice not fantastic but always clean and comfortable with nice beds/sheets and good blackout curtains if you visit in the summer. If you can get the VIP floor you have a nice lounge with drinks/snacks and a really great view. Great location for walking around the city and close proximity to some good restaurants if you wish to leave the hotel. The service has always been good and the people friendly. Some of the best native art can be seen in the galleries in the hotel. Expect to pay some big dollars here but the quality is top notch. Even if you don't stay at the Cook its worth a visit for the galleries and lunch at Fletcher's its one the best lunch spots in the city.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Charleston, South carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

The Captain Cook is named for the famous british explorer Capt. James Cook who came to Alaska seeking adventure & discovery. The hotel lives up to this legacy by offering guests a comfortable and convenient location from which they can explore and enjoy all that Anchorage has to offer.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family