“nice stay”
Review of Westmark Anchorage

Westmark Anchorage
Ranked #40 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 2 August 2010

i stayed with a friend in anchorage and we choose this nice city hotel with great view of the ocean. it is in a good location for shopping and many restaurants are in close walking distance. rooms are clean and have a good size and beds are comfortable. bathroom was clean. breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good, however we had to wait after ordering for 30 min before we good it.
would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank loves2travel1975

Reviewed 24 May 2010

Despite it's location, I wouldn't really recommend this hotel. The internet never worked the whole time we were there, the staff was less than helpful and the room was definitely cheap motelish. Also not a good location if city noises bother you. On the plus side, the location was great, you could walk everywhere. However, you can probably do better price-wise and still have a good location.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2009

room was dirty, floor wasn't vacuumed, bathroom same thing and tub wasn't cleaned. had hairs. sheets had some red spots like there were stained blood. stuffy rooms. no refigerators. for the amount we stayed, no breakfast was included like some other hotels. no laundry access for guests, they had said they send them out to where we would like them to be washed. staff were polite though.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank akuqa
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I do stay in the hotel since it is close to the business area and in the month of October 2009, during one of the breakfasts there I personally found a hair about foot and half long in my eggs and bacon. I did not get a response from the manager as of today....I hope that this will not happen to any other customer other than that I do have any other complaints. This is a rather nice hotel and I do enjoy staying there...........

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2009

When I made the reservation I explained for what event we were staying there and what sort of room I needed, and I booked a room that fit the bill. When we arrived, they tried to put us in an entirely different room and we had to hassle with them to straighten it out.

The hotel is dated and rundown, and so was our room. The room was large and it had a balcony and King size bed, but the floors needed a good cleaning, the bathroom was not cleaned thoroughly, and the walls were dirty. There was even red gunk smeared on the wall by the door just inside the room. It was gross.

We ate in the hotel's restaurant and the hostess ignored the two of us for a long period while we waited behind a huge group. Finally we got a table, but the hostess was surly as she sat us and when she brought menus and water, and she even had one of our glasses tucked Under her arm to carry it! Ewww! The food wasn't very good either.

It looks like the company has enough tour customers that will show up for the cruises and Denali tours that it doesn't bother to put money into fixing up the hotel or providing quality service, and has little interest in customers who are not part of the tours.

We won't stay at the Westmark again, especially since the Sheraton has better deals and much nicer rooms.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lookwestward
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Considering it is the hotel for Holland America (which we did not know prior to booking), this is a terrible hotel. I would rate it 2 star (maybe 3 at a push). The lobby is old & tiny, worse if there is a tour in. Coming out of the lift, you have to push past all the Holland America people to get to the tiny hotel desk and nobody wants to help you. The rooms are old and tired and not particularly clean. The only good - is the rooms have balcony's and the rooms are quite large.
Hotel staff are not friendly at all, I have to say we were so disappointed in not just the hotel, but Anchorage as a whole, we really did expect Anchorage to have more of a large country town attitude, but the staff just about everywhere we went, just could not be bothered to help you.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BE2468
Reviewed 26 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here when we arrived in Alaska for a Holland America land excursion and then again when we returned for the cruise. I had considered making other arrangements due to the reviews I read but what the heck, it was already paid for as part of the cruise so how bad could it be? What a shock, it was great! We were on the 12th floor the first night facing the north. We had a balcony and I could see on the distant horizon Mount McKinley. The room was very spacious (in its class), clean and comfortable. The people at the front desk were very accommodating and friendly. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I’ve slept in away from home and I’ve been to many four and five star big city hotels. The Westmark is very well located if you are a tourist. Many fine restaurants and gift shops are nearby, two of the best right across the street. The gift shop across the street could almost be a museum with many fabulous forms of original art.

The second night we were again on the 12th floor but this time facing the south and again on the distant horizon, I could see Mount Redoubt from the balcony. This room was just as good as the previous room. Maybe the 12th floor is charmed because I don’t understand the negative comments. I thought that perhaps people weren’t taking into account that this is not Vegas, it’s Alaska and amenities may be a little less forthcoming but no, this was a good hotel no matter where you put it. Maybe they knew I would review their hotel in tripadvisor or maybe I was just lucky but my wife and I were very pleased.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple