“Anchorage life...close encounters”
Review of Black Angus Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Anchorage
Black Angus Inn
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Virginia
“Anchorage life...close encounters”
Reviewed 16 July 2007

Well...I was aware of the reviews written here and "rolled the dice". I have been to Anchorage a half dozen times or so, usually on cruise destinations, but this time it was just my brother-in-law and I doing some fishing around the Kenai area. I wanted a room at the Comfort Inn, but that cost $200/night. The Black Angus was almost half that, so my expectations were accordingly. The receptionist at the desk was very pleasant and helpful. A man was busy picking up litter around the property both nights we stayed. We were assigned one of the "nice" rooms according to the receptionist. The room itself had a modern card key lock, the sheets were clean, bathroom clean, tv worked great. A small fridge and microwave oven were present and in fairly new condition. The carpeting was not very clean, so I wasn't running around the room in bare feet. The neighborhood in which this hotel is located is a lower income area, with a couple liquor stores nearby and the usual types of people which frequent these areas. While we were on the hotel property, nobody bothered us. However, off property we did get an offhand proposition from a woman who "needed a ride to the Black Angus". Another time we noticed an individual urinating behind a telephone pole beside the hotel. This hotel is probably not the best for a family to spend the week, but if you're needing a place for a couple nights and the budget is tight--I'd do it again!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Bugsy3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Anchorage
Reviewed 6 July 2007

Where do I start! First of all, there are drunk homeless people hanging around the Hotel asking for change and digging through the garbage for scraps of food. The dead bolt on my door doesnt work and the window (which has no screen) didnt lock. When I asked for a differnet room, they told me there wasnt anymore available. Here are some more things (in no particular order) that is wrong with this place.
1. All the vending machines were empty.
2. The Laundry room was out of order (the entire week I was here)
3. Homeless people roam the halls (I found one passed out behind the ice machine)
4. The rooms stink.
5. The bedding has cigerette burns in them ( I was in a non-smoking room)
6. Sirens from cops or firetrucks are a constant noise in this nieghborhood,

Never again will a settle to save a few bucks when it comes to a hotel stay

• Liked — WHen I checked out....for good
  • Disliked — The nieghborhood
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
8 Thank dc1randy

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2007

This palce is not worth the money. Spend a little more and have peace of mind. The promised airport pick-up was a lie. When I made the reservation I specifically asked if they have 24 hour airport pick-up service. They said yes. Two days before our arrival my wife called again and they said just call us upon arrival we will pick you up. We arrived at the airport called and were told the van driver went home to take a cab and they will deduct $10.00 from the hotel room. Well the cab fare was $20.00 and they only credited $10.00. We needed to go to the train station and they also said that the hotel will provide transportation. Twice we reconfirm and both times they said not a problem. Well when the time to go the train station came guess what; no van they said it will be another our before the van will show up that if needed to go we will have to pay for a cab. We did it and no reimbursement. On the lbby there is a sign saying that they provide transportation to airport hospitals train station ect. What a joke.

The rooms smelled like cigar smoke or something funky, no AC just a floor fan. The reoson we stay there is because we were going on a cruise. If you are on a cruise DO NOT STAY THERE.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank aquiyo
Reviewed 18 August 2005

Lets start off by saying that this hotel is across the street from the city's homeless shelter. The one night we stayed at the hotel, four cop cars with a K-9 unit showed up to raid the place. You could seriously knock on the next door over and get crack or a prostitute. There are dudes outside the lobby asking you for a dollar or a cigarette.

If you cancel a room with less than 72 hours advance notice, they charge you for the room! I have not stayed at one hotel in my life that actually did this... So when you decide after the first night that the place is a crap hole, you are stuck paying the bill for the next night at least.

Two words:
DRUGS and FILTH

It's AWFUL! Avoid this dive at all costs.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 June 2005

I have taken the time to review the comments made of this hotel and I took the chance to stay at the Black Angus Inn. Apon arrival I was very pleased with the driver. My ride was safe and prompt. I was able to speak with the manager apon arrival. She told me the hotel was sold to a new owner quite recently. I was booked in a nicely remoldeled Non Smoking room. It looked as though the walls were newly painted as far as the rooms and the lobby, hallways etc.. The front desk staff were as pleasent as could be and very helpful concidering I am new to town and I really needed help to find certain locations. Me and my husband had dinner that night at the Black Angus Resturant and the food was deliciously prepared. We also took a walk around the facility to evaluate the comments made of this hotel, true enough there is a grocery 1 block away, a bar next store, and local shops across the street. Not at any point did I feel unsafe at this hotel, so Hopefully the others who had a unpleasant stay in the past would think about giving the Black Angus Inn one more try because I whole heartedly believe the changes made ( during my experience at this hotel) are for the better. Thank you to all the great staff at the Black Angus Inn June 2005 for all the hospitality shown to me and my husband and we look foward to comeing back in Sept 2005

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 December 2004

My god. I can't even begin to describe our atrocious stay at this so called "comfortable, charming" place recommended by a travel website. Let's begin with when I get there with my children. We are greeted by the howls of police sirens. We go to the front desk and there is no one there, but a foul smell that resembles alcohol. We ring the bell, and a man with his shirt ripped in several places comes out. He says "whaddya need?" and I tell him we have reservations for 3 weeks. I'm already doubting staying one day in this dump, much less 3 weeks. We then get into a long argument about whether or not I actually have reservations, which is ended by saying I will call the police if they do not let me stay. (I have showed him my reservation receipt and printout reciept prior to this.) When we get to the room, it reeks of mildew. Our window is wide open. I look out and a person is running away fast from the window! I look around the room and see many of the ammenities missing. My daughter then starts to cry because the light was knocked over and hit her on the head. I decided that's the final straw. I leave the hotel and decide to stay somehwere else.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toms River
Reviewed 1 December 2003

My wife and I were booked at the Black Angus in July of 2002 on the day of our arrival. Thank God everything was uphill after our stay at the Black Angus. In case you think all of these reviews are an exageration, I can assure you they are not. Rather then repeat all of what was already mentioned in other reviews, lets just say I was much relieved to find that our rental car was still there in the morning.

12 Thank sheltercove