“Quality control needs attention” 2 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Canberra, Australia
“Quality control needs attention”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I'm only writing this review because I couldn't find anywhere to provide non-public feedback to the hotel. We've been travelling for over three months and this is the first place we've stayed where we've felt the need to address quality issues. On the negative side, the doona had a blood stain, all the surfaces were very dusty, the coffee machine hadn't been cleaned and we didn't have enough regular coffee. In addition, I went to the restaurant at 7.30 to ask what time they closed. There was only one customer in the restaurant and the server was in a conversation with him and ignored me for 5 minutes. Another person working in the restaurant (maybe the room service deliverer) tried to help me but didn't know the answer to a question and tried to ask the server, only to be told brusquely "I'm speaking to someone"! Rude to him and to me. I left. On the positive side, the front desk sent a housekeeper to our room quickly and the housekeeper was apologetic, helpful and lovely. The linens were changed and the room dusted. We ended up having room service (chowder and salads) and it was all fresh and delicious.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stiranne
Lisa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to do a review for us. What you experienced at the hotel is definitely not the standard we hold at the hotel. I will be reviewing your comments with all staff and addressing your issues. The owners of the restaurant will also be notified and made aware of the issues you had. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of all the staff and management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
latrobe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Although not a new hotel and not in the middle of downtown it's a gem. It's not The Ritz. From check-in to leaving every member of the staff displayed pride in their job and place of employment. That's a big plus when housekeeping, maintenance, front desk and managers work closely together with everybody smiling and talking with guests like they were friends. Anchorage is a highly diversified city and the staff of The Golden Lion reflects the same. The facility was clean and if a problem was found and reported it was addressed immediately, not a put off 'til later. Any question about the state, city, food, travel, taxis or shopping got answers that were, at times, brutally honest. One can't get much better than that for advice.

There is a contract restaurant there but it only serves breakfast and dinner since most guests are out during the day. The lounge is a fun place and has dance lessons on certain nights. Salsa night was an eye opener for some of the older guests. Children and pets are most welcome and the contract nail/beauty/barber shop was in the main lobby. Exercise room and business center are 24/7. No pool, but big bathtubs. Clean, friendly, homey and on a bus line-if you want an inexpensive tour of the area. I will stay there again and heartily recommend it.

Room Tip: Due to "long" summer light there are dark curtains able to be closed. No room was in a no...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank armedinfidel
Lisa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your very kind review. I have passed your comments to all of the staff. As a manager of the hotel I am pleased that we were able to make you feel at home. We strive to give all our guest the comfort of home and make each of them a part of our hotel family. If you are ever in Anchorage again I hope that you will be our guest.

Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is a little further from the downtown area (>2 miles) than I thought and does not offer shuttle service. However, the price was less expensive than more centrally located hotels even when adding cab fare into the mix. The room was spacious, clean, with comfy beds & pillows. There was a good internet connection. For members of their frequent flyer program, a cooked breakfast to order was included at their restaurant (also available for purchase.) The hotel is walking distance to several restaurants and to Fred Meyers. Their fitness room needs help as all of the weight machines were broken. There were cardio machines but I didn’t try them out. We even took advantage of the Hair Salon located near the lobby to get needed haircuts, with a skilled and quite pleasant stylist.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Pat M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review for us. We appreciate that you are a loyalty member and chose to stay with us while in Anchorage. I hope that you had an enjoyable visit to Alaska and hope that if you are ever in Anchorage again that you will choose to stay with us.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel when arriving late into Anchorage and needed a place not too far from the airport, or too far from Downtown area. This was perfectly situated and a very easy check in process. The room was very comfortable and had everything needed - bed and pillows were especially comfortable. Bathroom was adequate, but some parts a little outdated - as were some parts to the room and hotel, but was still ok. There is a restaurant for breakfast and meals, but I didn't take advantage of, only a quick take away coffee to start my day.
In all, not a bad place to stay for a quick over-nighter, otherwise I would have preferred to stay somewhere more central. Although the bus into downtown area was very user friendly. AND free wi-fi was a bonus.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
2 Thank Cindy E
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review for us. We appreciate your business. I hope that you enjoyed your trip and if you are ever in Anchorage again that you will think of us.

Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of days while exploring Anchorage and around. Pretty neat location and basically has whatever you need. The rooms are huge and spacious. Overall a very good experience.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank arorareshma
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to do a review for our property. We appreciate your business and hope that if you are in Anchorage again that you will choose to stay with us again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. The hotel does not provide any shuttle service to airport, we had them cal the cab, which arrived an hour later. Their front desk personnel aren't the greatest. There was repair going on in the front of the lobby, and we have to circle around couple of times to enter the hotel. When reported to the front desk, they were like 'Not my problem'.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank 6anuradhap
Lisa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,
I apologize that your stay was not up to our standards. I will be addressing the issue you had with the front desk. It is not acceptable that you felt that they did not care. I can assure you that is not the standards I hold my staff too. Yes unfortunately we have had some outside work that can only be done in the summer going on during your stay. Apparently our contractors did not execute it in the best way possible if it caused even one guest to be frustrated and I appreciate your comments so we can try and make sure this does not happen when we have work going on in the future. I thank you for taking the time to do a review for us. All input is important to me so I can make changes where needed.

custer, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

It was a clean hotel, good beds, and very good for a nice nights sleep. I didn't find out about the breakfast- I seen that there was a restaurant in the upstairs- didn't want to spend more money than what we had to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Douglas H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us while in Anchorage. We appreciate you taking the time to do a review for us. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Alaska.