“WARNING: Not as appears in photos”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage
Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
London, Canada
“WARNING: Not as appears in photos”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

WARNING - Guest House Anchorage Inn is NOT what is represented on their website.
Our room was down this sketchy alleyway (which was dark even in the day), which had a pile of garbage right outside our door, the room had a terrible smell that gave my boyfriend a headache, the bed was incredibly hard and the TVs are very old tube TVs that had a blurry, crooked image which was hard to look at (not LCD tvs like featured in the photos on the website). My boyfriend and I had been travelling for over 24 hours and we really just wanted a hot shower and comfortable bed - we weren't even able to have a hot shower. It was only 1:30pm and there was no more hot water. It was a miserable start to our vacation, and luckily, we only spent one night there. We were returning to Anchorage in a week and had booked another night there, but we cancelled - forfeiting the amount we paid for the room, because it was just that bad. Service was also pretty bad - leading up the trip, I called to alter my reservation. I called 3 days before the trip to re-confirm my reservation - and I am glad I had. The reservation had not been altered like I was promised it would be. Got forwarded to the manager, who gave me an attitude. We should have taken that as a sign. My boyfriend and I are big travelers, having stayed in hotels, motels and hostels around the world, and we agree that this was the worse accommodation we have encountered.
There is a Sheraton and Hilton just a block or two down the road from the Guesthouse Inn. I strongly recommend those hotels over this one. I usually try to support smaller businesses, but in this case - BEWARE!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HDTrott
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that our housekeeping services did not meet your expectations. I will share your feedback with the team so we can work to improve to ensure our guests have a great stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 27 April 2013

For the reduced rate I was able to get, this hotel was certainly good value. The carpet and furnishings appear to be new albeit on the plain ... the room was kept clean; and it is within walking distance of some good restaurants and the 5th Avenue Mall. It also provides a free airport shuttle service and one can do one's own laundry here. If you're not having to spend too much time in the room -this hotel offers a decent stay for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank VYMOE
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing about your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again!
Homer, Alaska
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Had some trepidation getting this hotel for the first time on a lowball Priceline bid, but it turned out far better than most such deals. We got a small two bed room on the 4th floor overlooking the courtyard. The furnishings and appliances appeared to all be brand new, and the bathroom had been cheaply but competently renovated recently.

Located right downtown, walk to any of the major attractions, many restaurants, nightclubs, tourist traps...

Getting in at 8 on a Sunday in March we were able to park about 100 ft from the main door. If one were to get in late on friday night in high season, though, he might find himself walking a full city block of alleyway from the bigger overflow lot. So be prepared for that.

Room Tip: Inside, overlooking the courtyard, would undoubtedly be quieter. Don't forget to reset the timer...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank akfletchers
Thank you for the kind feedback. We appreciate you staying with us and hope we can Host you again soon.
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Cheap but the condom under end of bed gives it a zero star for my stay. Not sure if I wanna use the bed... Price is great as is the location. Would prob be fine but got the hebejebes... I'm sure this is just a result of careless cleaning.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank akrusty
We appreciate you staying with us and providing your feedback. We will definitely take your comments and work to ensure we are providing timely service. We want our guests to enjoy their stay and use all the hotel has to offer. We hope to see you again soon.
Chicago
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed here the night before heading out to Denali and another night before moving on to Seward. The rooms were clean and quiet. Shuttles to the airport and train station were convenient. Walking distance to downtown and seemed safe even late at night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank CTDesign
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Please visit us again when you are in Anchorage.
Altamont, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We flew into Anchorage and needed a place to stay for a night before we could pick up our RV. When my husband and I travel, we really don't look for 5 star places. If you do, this is not the place for you! It's definitely in need of an update, but our room was clean and the price was right for a night in town. The shuttle driver made a great first impression. He was prompt picking us up and was really nice and entertaining as well!
We didn't go out at night as we were tired, but we were able to order in easily. Early the next morning we were able to store our luggage with them and walk around town. None of Anchorage is really "nice" in my opinion..but I never felt unsafe walking around that area. There are also plenty of places withing walking distance to eat. You just have to be willing to walk!
All in all, I would stay here again. However, I would use it for stop overs, not my home base!

Room Tip: Based on reviews, we did ask for a room looking onto the center courtyard. We didn't have any n...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple