“Close to everything”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage
Ranked #33 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We got this hotel from a bid on priceline. We stayed here for two nights for a pre-cruise stay in Anchorage. This hotel was walking distance to most everything in downtown Anchorage. Anchorage is a pretty large city so it's a 15 min distance to the airport, but this hotel provides a shuttle. They also gave us a shuttle to the railroad. The only problem we encountered with this was the large amount of people in the lobby waiting to go. They only have one van that can hold a hand full of people, so get in line early. The staff here was among the friendliest staff I've encountered at a hotel. I would go back just for them. The room was a little older, but was kept up well and was clean. It would definitely be a place I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dolphirefighter
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Anchorage!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

This Inn could be a good choice for you when visit Anchorage. Room is tidy and clean. Staffs are nice. However, there were some people making noise (laughing loudly and music) just outside throughout the night (and perhaps this was a weekend). It just deduced my rating. I just hope that could be improved.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on road side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank YYT
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

On behalf of the entire team at GuestHouse Anchorage Inn we apologize for the concerns you shared about your recent stay. I have addressed these issues with our team and I assure you we are working diligently to correct these problems. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

It was clean, quiet, the staff was courteous, they let us stay about 2 hours past check-out time, and we slept well. It was the least expensive place we could find in downtown Anchorage. What more could we want???

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wtgdds

Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Please visit us again when you are in Anchorage.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

The only plus point was the 24 hr airport shuttle .Everything else about this place is substandard .The pictures on the website make the place look cozy and warm but the reality is quite different The room we got were on the ground floor of the main building and the room and the carpet felt dusty .The electronic appliance were clean and in working order .The internet connection was also slow. Would pick another place

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank avm_13
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced. We value your feedback and have shared your concerns with our management team.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

WARNING - Guest House Anchorage Inn is NOT what is represented on their website.
Our room was down this sketchy alleyway (which was dark even in the day), which had a pile of garbage right outside our door, the room had a terrible smell that gave my boyfriend a headache, the bed was incredibly hard and the TVs are very old tube TVs that had a blurry, crooked image which was hard to look at (not LCD tvs like featured in the photos on the website). My boyfriend and I had been travelling for over 24 hours and we really just wanted a hot shower and comfortable bed - we weren't even able to have a hot shower. It was only 1:30pm and there was no more hot water. It was a miserable start to our vacation, and luckily, we only spent one night there. We were returning to Anchorage in a week and had booked another night there, but we cancelled - forfeiting the amount we paid for the room, because it was just that bad. Service was also pretty bad - leading up the trip, I called to alter my reservation. I called 3 days before the trip to re-confirm my reservation - and I am glad I had. The reservation had not been altered like I was promised it would be. Got forwarded to the manager, who gave me an attitude. We should have taken that as a sign. My boyfriend and I are big travelers, having stayed in hotels, motels and hostels around the world, and we agree that this was the worse accommodation we have encountered.
There is a Sheraton and Hilton just a block or two down the road from the Guesthouse Inn. I strongly recommend those hotels over this one. I usually try to support smaller businesses, but in this case - BEWARE!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HDTrott

Thank you for your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that our housekeeping services did not meet your expectations. I will share your feedback with the team so we can work to improve to ensure our guests have a great stay.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

For the reduced rate I was able to get, this hotel was certainly good value. The carpet and furnishings appear to be new albeit on the plain ... the room was kept clean; and it is within walking distance of some good restaurants and the 5th Avenue Mall. It also provides a free airport shuttle service and one can do one's own laundry here. If you're not having to spend too much time in the room -this hotel offers a decent stay for the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank VYMOE

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing about your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Had some trepidation getting this hotel for the first time on a lowball Priceline bid, but it turned out far better than most such deals. We got a small two bed room on the 4th floor overlooking the courtyard. The furnishings and appliances appeared to all be brand new, and the bathroom had been cheaply but competently renovated recently.

Located right downtown, walk to any of the major attractions, many restaurants, nightclubs, tourist traps...

Getting in at 8 on a Sunday in March we were able to park about 100 ft from the main door. If one were to get in late on friday night in high season, though, he might find himself walking a full city block of alleyway from the bigger overflow lot. So be prepared for that.

Room Tip: Inside, overlooking the courtyard, would undoubtedly be quieter. Don't forget to reset the timer...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank akfletchers

Thank you for the kind feedback. We appreciate you staying with us and hope we can Host you again soon.