“Bed bugs / low quality beds / lack of amenities / overpriced / AVOID”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage
Ranked #33 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 4 September 2013

At $150 a night (including taxes) this is one of the costliest hotels I have stayed in. The problem is, I have stayed at FAR better hotels which costed much less than this.

1. Horrible beds with mattresses that were ages old. They made weird noise even when you moved a little. Nightmare to sleep on.
2. Lack of amenities. Hotel was really shady.
3. BED BUGS!!! A day later we noticed bug bites all over our neck and hands. Soon it got worse the next day. After our awesome vacation in Alaska, we are back to washing our clothes.
4. Very uncourteous and rude staff. Mostly clueless about questions we asked them. Other times, they responded very rudely.
5. The shuttle to/from the airport was the only good thing.

AVOID!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rajat85
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. We value your comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

There are newer reviews for GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We got in late and left early. Decent continental breakfast and got us an extra cot. Pick up from the airport took about 40 minutes. That was a bummer so late at night. Room is very basic so I only recommend if you are in transit to another location. We choose this location because we could pick up a rental car down the street for less than an airport pick up and didn't need it til the morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fillymay1
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Please visit us again when you are in Anchorage.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Comfortable beds and decent service, its a good place for the right price compared to other local hotels. The only problem is its right next to a club and the main downtown road so you can hear all the traffic go by if you have the wrong room

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Teatoe
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

We appreciate you staying with us and providing your feedback. We will definitely take your comments and work to ensure we are providing timely service. We want our guests to enjoy their stay and use all the hotel has to offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

To start off with, the service was great. The drivers were very knowledgeable and the front desk workers were extremely helpful and understanding. I was placed on the 4th floor, it was spectacular. I could see Mt. McKinley right from my window! There was free unsecured wi-fi and a computer downstairs with a printer. There was no free breakfast but there was coffee/tea and convinient vendings on every floor. Even though they're located outside downtown, they are close enough to most shops and restaurants. I recommend this place! It may not be a 5 star hotel, but like I said, "Best bang for your buck!"

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Christina C

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing about your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

As usual, I'm going to say if you stay in 5 star resorts, you will find this place lacking. However, if you are looking for a clean (but dated) room for rest while sightseeing, this place is good! We stayed here as part of Vegas/Alaska/Vancouver holiday. The free wifi is excellent (fast and strong). The hotel is older, but the rooms are well maintained. We did not find the checkin staff rude, but more of the plain/boring personality side, but there's nothing wrong with that. If I was in Anchorage again, I'd include this place again in my price comparison.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pilotsh

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Booked at the last minute. This is an older hotel in a less desirable part of downtown. There were voices on the street all night long. I was concerned about car theft (unprotected city parking) the room was older (bathroom, shower carpet). Everything was clean. For the $169/ I would go to a chain next time if I could.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Tradingken

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced. We value your feedback and have shared your concerns with our management team.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We spent a night at this hotel and the experience was just average. Few issues, first of all the airport shuttle comes only every hour, we just missed by 5 minutes and I was not about to wait another hour after such a long flight. Second of all the rooms that face the street are really noisy, although I used my ear plugs which remove 28 decibels, I still could not sleep from the traffic outside, it felt that the walls were made of papers. And the biggest issue was that I forgot 2 sets of pajamas in the hotel room. I called couple of days later and they assured me they have them, a week later I arrived back in Anchorage only to find out that those pj are not mine. Who in the world would take 2 sets of pj? Mine was $200 so I was not happy to loose it, but more importantly the "manager" said it is possible that will show up later!!! Are you kidding me? That is poor management the way she handled it, obviously the maid stole the pijamas, how hard is to take ownership of the situation????

Room Tip: try to get a room with a window in the inner courtyard
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family