“AWFUL Experience”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage
Ranked #33 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 19 June 2014

First of all, let me say there was one helpful staff member who gave me directions to the hotel and that was nice. The location is good, the room is reasonably clean, and the restaurant is great with good service. However, I was in an upstairs room with no elevator. AND a small toddler. The steps were no small obstacle. Every time I got upstairs, my room key was demagnetized. I had to take said toddler and bags down the stairs to the desk and get the key remagnetized. I followed their directions and kept key away from phone, electronics but it still happened AT LEAST once a day. Unacceptable. They were very unapologetic. Also, the bed was uncomfortable. Bad pillows, bedding, and mattress. The TV remote would not work. The other guests were loud and had kids running around and jumping at all hours. Dogs barking, horns honking, very urban experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you have elevator access.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Arkalaskan
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you for your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that our services did not meet your expectations. I will share your feedback with the team so we can work to improve to ensure our guests have a great stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were glad to have a refrigerator and the room was plenty large, but the bed was not comfortable at all.
The maid service needed to be upgraded to the making of the bed and the cleaning of the
coffee pot.
The floor felt like it needed to have the carpet cleaned and the elevator scared me at it sounded like someone hand turning a big wheel on a cable to lift it. Not kidding.
But all in all, it was a fair place to stay. The maintance man fixed the valve in the tub very quickly and that was nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan V

On behalf of the entire team at GuestHouse Anchorage Inn we apologize for the concerns you shared about your recent stay. I have addressed these issues with our team and I assure you we are working diligently to correct these problems. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have stayed here three separate occasions. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Hotel is pet friendly. Very clean. Parking is provided in locations surrounding the motel. Breakfast is included across the street at a local restaurant. Walking distance of tourist attractions, Visitor Center. Hired time I had a room on the lye and it was a little noisy.

Room Tip: Not the alley, main building with elevator access.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brenda H

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay with us! I'm glad you had a good experience and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Guesthouse is a former Days Inn. It's a convenient location, and has great shuttle to train and airport. We stayed in the tower, and we had an elevator. I did ask for a room that had not had dogs, because I am allergic. Great service. They call to make sure room is OK, they store luggage, even for 3 days while we went on excursion, and followed up on every request. Not 5 star, but they try hard and it is convenient. Bedding is pretty good. They just need to lose the old bedspreads which give it an aged look.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the tower with an elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank csloat
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Please visit us again when you are in Anchorage.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed for one night. Parking is not really comfortable. You have to walk in cold and rain for parking. They don't have an elevator. We could hear noises from neighboring rooms all night and couldn't sleep at all. Not recommended. Do yourself a favor and choose a nice b&b or some other hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sktravelworld
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced. We value your feedback and have shared your concerns with our management team.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were looking for a place to stay before our early morning flight without paying too much and we were happy with our choice. It was great to have their shuttle pick us up from the train station (you have to call for it to pick you up) and then the shuttle to the airport was perfect. It's not a 5 star place and isn't trying to be but it was clean enough and the staff were efficient and pleasant. For the price, you can't beat it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank qbtraveller

Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. We value your comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This place is a disgrace to the guesthouse brand. After two nights of staying I woke up with bed bug bites. When I went to the office to complain, the idiot day manager told me right away "we don't have bed bugs." I replied well I didn't have them before I arrived and I didn't bite my self! She said pest control will check in the morning. Meanwhile I have to spend another night with these bugs. I will be contacting the Anchorage Health Department first thin in the morning. I will also be seeking a full refund!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank supremelygifted
Tammy W, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Mr. Supremelygifted,

Please accept my apologies that we were unable to provide you with the refund you requested.

As I advised you, we take bed bugs very seriously and take every precaution necessary to make sure that these uninvited pests are immediately eliminated prior to being reported. American Pest Management has helped us prevent these bugs with their monthly inspections of the Hotel, the installation of bed bug monitors and mattress and box spring encasements on the beds. These encasements prevent the bed bugs from making our bed their home.

I understand that you wanted immediate satisfaction in the form of a refund, but as I advised I cannot do so with out the room being inspected by the professionals, American Pest Management. Once they confirmed directly with you that the room was clean of the pests you were advised that no refund would be provided.

Thank you for your understanding.

Most Sincerely,