“Good enough experience but a little below the normal Sheraton service levels”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Stayed here on Aug 3rd for one night. Rooms were nice and up to par with other starwood hotels. Hotel fitness center, restaurants, etc were all really good.

The staff at the front desk were apparently all brand new though and haven't had any training. I was told by one staff member that they had just let a bunch of people go at once and hired all new staff.

I talked to 3 different people at the front desk and none of them knew basics like the code to get onto the club floor or the starwood preferred welcome bonus program. I then talked to the "senior" staff member who was just as hopeless. I asked to talk to a manager but was never contacted for this.

Location is ok but not great. It's a little bit of a walk into town to where all of the other hotels and services are. Not really the nicest or safest area to walk through either.

If I were to go back, would probably stay at the hilton in the middle of town instead.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear Climbingbum,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. It was nice to read that you found our rooms nice, enjoyed our fitness center and restaurants. I am very sorry to learn that our front desk associates did not provide to the level of service which you expected and for which we are known. I feel terrible that we let you down. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests.

I will share your experience and comments with our front desk and management teams (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from our mistakes, become a stronger team and improve our product/services.

Thank you again for letting us know about your stay and how we can improve.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Anchorage Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel for one night and were impressed by the beautiful lobby with a bar and restaurant. Our room was spacious with a beautiful view of the city. Room was very clean and had a flat screen TV and king size bed. We walked to the area with all the tourist action but enjoyed being in a quieter part of the city that night. Check out was noon instead of 11am at most hotels and we asked for a later checkout and it was available with no problem. Would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Room with a view if available.

Dear JosieJo02,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was so very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We are very proud of our pleasant, clean rooms, excellent food and exceptional team members.

All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for all of our guests. We appreciate your recommending our hotel to other travelers to Anchorage.

Thank you again for your patronage. We would be pleased to serve as your hosts again soon.

Take care

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. We had booked a room on the club level via American Express. Unfortunately there was no room available and we were put in a room on the 14th floor with access to the club level club on the 11th floor. The room was not clean so we moved to a room on the 7th floor. We found the club Lounge to be very over rated. The nice thing about the lounge was the non alcoholic beverages like water bottles, coffee, and juices. The breakfast was nothing special...no eggs, etc..more like cereal and fruit. It was also really packed with families and children rather than business people. Our biggest disappointment was that at checkout they would not give us the difference we paid for a room that was not available. They said to take it up with American Express so we will. Guess you pay for what you get. Our friends stayed at The Captain Cook hotel and there was no comparison. If you can afford it and there is availability you should stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Marty L,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you encountered during your visit to our hotel. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our housekeeping staff, as well as our club lounge service teams. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I was in Anchorage for a week for a business trip back in January 2012 and stayed at the Sheraton in Anchorage. The service at the restaurants in the hotel were good, but it took me a while to reach the front desk. The room was clean, but the quality of the room was nowhere close to other hotel I have stayed in previously with a similar price range (approx. $200/night).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear Joon H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. Thank you for recognizing the good service provided at the hotel and how clean your accommodations were. I am very disappointed that you were unhappy with what you quality of the room. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

Thank you.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Last minute booking requirement was handled very well by Michael Jesperson; who manages our companies account at the hotel. Arrived early after a fishing expedition and was overtired and in need of sleep. Mr.Jesperson personally assisted my brother and I to ensure we had the best chance of an early check-in.

My team and I are always grateful for his assistance.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Martin l,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to rest up after the fishing trip. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I am also a big fan of Michael Jesperson. He is an outstanding sales team member. His commitment to guest service is second to none. He really takes it to heart, and takes pride in the relationships he builds with our guests. It is truly a pleasure to work with Michael. I will be sure to share your comments/compliments with him and the rest of our team.

We are grateful for our ongoing relationship with your company and look forward to serving as your hosts in Anchorage again very soon.

Take care.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Planned an overnight here prior to departing for a cruise. We arrived into Anchorage after 17 hours of travel from Florida, and checked in without issue. As a Starwood Gold, I was offered either free internet or points. That day I received an e-mail from Barinder Singh, who is the Asst. General Manager. It stated he wanted to ensure we'd have a good stay and to let him know if we had a bad experience. I didn't even think that I'd be writing him days later wanting resolution for a major issue.

The problem began at 6:15am with loud noise from outside. Two men with megaphones were on the sidewalk screaming "It's wake-up time! Time for check-out!". We were shocked to say the least, and it wasn't the most pleasant way to start a vacation.

While checking out, I brought the issue up with the girl at the front desk. As soon I as said "megaphone", her eyes dropped to the floor. I asked if she knew about it, and she said it was a well known issue, that it was carpenters protesting their work agreement with the hotel. She also tells us it had been going on for weeks. Why no warning? I asked to speak with a manager, and she said one wasn't available but she'd make a note and be sure to have one contact us.

Two weeks went by and I heard nothing. I took initiative and e-mailed Mr. Singh, describing what happened and wanting to find out why I hadn't heard from anyone at the hotel. It's now been two weeks since that e-mail was written, and I've had no response from Mr. Singh. What does it say about a hotel when their management can't even address customer complaints?

The room itself was fine. Most people on our cruise ship stayed at the Captain Cook and had very nice things to say, and in the future we'll be staying there.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank panda952

Dear Panda952,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a survey about your visit on TripAdvisor. I want to sincerely apologize for the challenges and inconvenience we caused you during your visit with us. While some things that occurred outside of the hotel are out of our control, they still impacted your stay. We should have handled your inquiry better and at least provided a straight answer. There is no excuse for our not providing you the level of service you deserve. I will not even try to make any. I completely understand your frustration and why you rated us as you did.

I can assure you that we do learn from our mistakes. I will share your experience and comments with our front office, and management teams (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can grow as an organization and learn not to repeat our errors. I will also personally follow up with the hotel Assistant GM with regard to not properly responding to your email. Your feedback is both welcome and important to us. In order to improve, we must learn what we can do better.

I am sorry we let you down. I do hope in the future that you will allow us another opportunity to serve as your hosts and to show that we are able to learn and improve from our mistakes.

Take care.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Sheraton Anchorage Hotel was the worst location during our vacation in Alaska.

We understand that a hotel that size is not able to service each guest as individually as smaller hotels can. But concerning the high room prices, we expected at least a comfortable accommodation.
During check-in and check-out we were treated with very false friendliness and got the feeling, we were supposed to pay, be quiet and leave as soon an possible. Unfortunately, we aren't pilots (who seemed to be pampered all the way and every time we passed front desk).
Our room was on the 15th floor. The floor was surprisingly dreary, with dark colors and little light. But that's of course a matter of taste (as is the lobby, which we found a little bit too dark and brown-colored, but nice).
The room itself could have been nice as well (breathtaking view over Anchorage!), but unfortunately, it was very dirty. There was dust everywhere (we could "write" on the desk and the tv) and the trash can hadn't been emptied. The bed linen were clean, but unironed. The bathroom was okay (clean, but uncomfortable and old). Nevertheless, you usually don't expect just "okay" in a Sheraton. And furthermore, you nowadays expect such things as a decent television reception and wifi. Our tv's reception was rather bad and for wifi they charge you. We got wifi in almost every lodge in Alaska for free (even in the deepest wilderness), but the big and expensive Sheraton in Anchorage wants you to pay for it - come on!

However, the really annoying part was the noise in our room. Even being on the 15th floor, we heard every car passing by. The air con was remarkably loud and the worst was the terrible noise coming out of the walls (during the afternoon for a short time - ok, this can happen in a hotel - but in the evening almost nonstop). We didn't know what it was and called guest service. They promised to send an engineer up to our room. He arrived about ten minutes later (surprisingly quick at about 11pm), obviously recognized the noise directly, told us that this must be a problem with the water pipes and promised, to take care of it right away. The noise stopped just a couple of minutes later and we could go to sleep eventually. Unfortunately, the noise came back the next morning and woke us up at 4.30am and didn't let us go back to sleep again.
We still don't know what it was exactly, but we think, it was the laundry of the hotel (which is on the 16th floor).

Altogether, our stay at the Sheraton Anchorage was not impressive. Of course, what happened was not a complete disaster. For less the price, it would have been ok. But 350$ for this room in this hotel are way too much. We are more than prepared to spend such an amount of money for a nice stay. And we are absolutely aware of Alaska (and especially Anchorage) being rather expensive. But, from our point of view, the Sheraton Anchorage is absolutely overpriced for what we got. Wouldn't stay there again.

1  Thank gonewiththesun
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Gonewiththesun,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that we did not provide to the level of service which you expected and for which we are known. I sincerely apologize for the challenges with housekeeping and hot water. I feel terrible that we let you down. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests.

I will share your experience and comments with our housekeeping and engineering teams (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from our mistakes, become a stronger team and improve our product/services.

Thank you again for letting us know about your stay and how we can improve.