“Downtown Anchorage and decent”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Reno, Nevada
“Downtown Anchorage and decent”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I normally don't review chains because they tend to be predictable. The Sheraton Anchorage however deserves comment. I hadn't stayed here in a number of years so what seems new to me may not be so new. However, when you walk in the front door you are welcomed by a nicely appointed lobby. There is a gas fireplace that is lit and welcoming. They have a nice business room with computers/printers etc. available for use just off the lobby. The bars offer inexpensive wine tastings with a good selection of decent wines available to taste. You get a small taste for $5 which is nice because you can sample a couple before ordering a glass. The rooms are normal although the bathrooms are a bit cramped. The beds are exceptionally comfortable and that is of course the primary reason you stay in a hotel - right? Easy parking is available. This is a worthy hotel in downtown Anchorage.

Room Tip: If you can manage an upgrade to the SPG club floor try to do so.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Traveloften028,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I am so glad you had a nice visit. I appreciate your complimenting us on our well-appointed lobby, exceptionally comfortable beds and convenient, easy parking. I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy our exceptional wine offerings during our daily Sheraton Social Hour. Thank you for commenting on the value and exceptional selection. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Wasington
Reviewed 7 May 2013

One thing right off the bat - the neighborhood feels very unsafe. If you walk anywhere, do it as a group especially if you're a woman. There are alot of homeless/transient in the area, and we were definitely not happy that front desk staff and security seemed to think it fine that these folks would come in and hang out in the lobby and near the rear entrance. The front desk staff, especially at night, seem more interested in their I-phones then what's going on in their hotel.
The hotel itself is ok, although in our room, the remote had to be replaced, the phone worked only periodically, the direct spa dial gives you some weird ATT connection, and although the material says there is a pay-per-view in the room, the front desk informed us "Oh yah, we don't have that anymore" Perhaps management might want to update their in-room information, which we had to call to find out where it was. (In a desk drawer) Most hotels put this info where you can see it immediately.
On the upside - the bed is excellent, and very comfortable. The maid service is very friendly. We do not however recommend room-service. Not one in our party had a good meal - two had to be sent back, and one arrived luke-warm.
The biggest plus this hotel has, is the view of the mountains on the east side. Simple spectacular, and the one 5 star feature.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view - the higher up, the better. (East facing)
Dear RainerRock,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

Thank you so much for your patronage.
Soldotna, Alaska
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Managed to get a room here during Alaska Junior Olympics 2013. Room was clean, well-priced and the staff was absolutely awesome. Breakfast at the hotel was sufficient for our purposes and we slept well both nights. Thank you Sheraton!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Roserph,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from you recent stay at our hotel. We are so glad we were able to accommodate (rescue) you. It made me happy to read that you had such a nice stay. Thank you for commenting on how clean your room was, and our "awesome" staff.

I hope you enjoyed the Alaska Junior Olympics competition. Come visit again soon!

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I just stayed at the Sheraton for 9 days and I am very happy to call it home away from home. The exercise room is very nice and awesome view. The breakfast is probably one of the best in town and the staff is for sure the best in town.

The location is perfect and close to everything without being in the middle of it.

So between the staff, facilities and food I would not think of staying anyplace else.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Room Tip: There is no pool, sorry.
Dear Mike D,

Thank you for making us your home away from home when in Anchorage, and for posting a review from your last visit on TripAdvisor. I am so very happy that you enjoy our hotel and have had such positive experiences staying with us. Thanks too for commenting on our amazing fitness center, how tasty our food is, and our convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment. It's nice to hear back from guests that we are doing a good job.

I will be sure to share your comments/compliments with our entire team.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Thank you again for your patronage and loyalty.
Aston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed here just before my Alaskan cruise. This hotel is very convenient to most places. We walked to a lot of the downtown attractions. The views of the mountains are great. The rooms are spacious and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Gunnermax,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I am so glad you had a nice visit. Thanks for commenting about our clean & spacious guest rooms, the amazing views and how conveniently located our hotel is. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Alaska and had a great time on the cruise.

Brentwood, California
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I spent 4 nights here in March 2013 for a trade show (also held in the hotel convention center). Service is excellent here, at check in as well as in the restaurants. The rooms are larger than most and feature views of Anchorage and the surrounding mountains. This is my go to property in winter time as the rates are reasonable and everything you need is under one roof. Covered parking is also available.

The main downtown area is walkable in summer but in winter you will have to drive. There are not a lot of restaurants in walking distance, so be prepared for that.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear BrentwoodBear,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you found our service exceptional, and location convenient. Thanks too for commenting on the amazing views. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service and a clean, well maintained property for our guests.

Texas
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This hotel got amazing reviews, but we weren't terribly impressed. It certainly wasn't a bad experience; it's just as if the reviewers rave on as if this is a five-star resort. It's a nice hotel at best. I'm pretty sure it's the best hotel in Anchorage, though.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on TripAdvisor. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Anchorage. We appreciate your describing our hotel as nice and for statement about your being pretty sure it's the nicest hotel in Anchorage.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again soon.