“Could be better”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Could be better”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed at the Anchorage Sheraton for 5 nights the end of May using Sheraton points. In hind sight, we might have saved the points and stayed somewhere that could have provided a bit better view. As others mention, our room looked out over the cemetery. There are mountains in the distance, but nonetheless it is disappointing to have that cemetery view! It appears half the rooms would have this view, with the other half (other side of building) having the better mountain views.

I should start with some of what we liked about this hotel... The lobby is fairly nice with a nice gas "modern style" fireplace. Staff for the most part seemed friendly, (but our server for the one breakfast we had seemed to not be real happy). While parking (half of which is in a garage) is $10 per day, we quickly found this is somewhat of bargain parking in Anchorage. While it is a few blocks walk into the "better" part of the small Anchorage downtown area, the location of the hotel is very easy to get to if driving the main highway north or south of the city.

Now unfortunately there was more (other than the view) which would probably lead us to look elsewhere next time...
The room seemed small with not much place to lay out luggage. And the bathroom was, well, TINY! Don't expect two people to be able to move around as the door barely is able to shut with one person occupying it. There appeared to be NO bathroom ventilation, and even with the bathroom door wide open and using only warm water for showers, the mirror still fogs. Management, as it appear you read these, perhaps you could at least consider anti-fog solutions for the mirror?
I also suppose it should be good that the water pressure is high, but no matter what setting we had the shower head on, the water pressure is so high it feels like a sand blaster.
The sliding closet doors in our room were also too big for the closet, so it's near impossible to access the middle of it.
There are no extra outlets in the room to plug cell phone chargers into. Lamps were already unplugged when we got to the room (couldn't initially figure out why lamps wouldn't come on) and we quickly figured out that is the only way to plug anything in.
We noticed the huge sign next to the bar area that notes the Sheraton Wine Spectator 90+ rating wines, seemingly indicating a great selection of wines, right? Upon asking for a wine list, though, the server said they were out of most wines so they don't have a list but he could just tell us the few they have verbally. Huh? Hey management, TAKE THE SIGN DOWN! Kind of false advertising, don't you think?
There is no wifi or wired internet in the rooms, but free wifi can be accessed if you sit in the lobby. Usually I find no wifi isn't a huge problem with a good cell phone data connection, but if you have Verizon or Sprint, forget about getting much of a data connection at all in Anchorage, or any of central Alaska as we found out.
Oh, and by the way... we were trying to figure out if there would be a swimming pool at this Sheraton, but couldn't find any info before we went. Note... There is NOT a swimming pool. Not a big deal for a trip to Alaska, but sometimes it helps to know whether we might want to bring a suit for jumping in after a long day of hiking.

So, all in all, not terrible, but we weren't really impressed and it seems there may be better options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side (cemetery is on east side)
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Jon&Kathy,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your stay on TripAdvisor. I am grateful for the detailed comments you have provided. Our ultimate goal is to improve when presented with an opportunity (opportunities) to do so., I am very sorry that the view from your room wasn't as spectacular as it could have been. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment. Your review suggests you encountered team members who did not exhibit a can do attitude. For that I am very sorry.

I will share your comments and experience with our entire team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we may all learn from your experience and improve our product and the service we provide

We do offer complimentary wireless in our guest rooms for SPG members. It is free for all guests in the lobby and mezzanine levels as well as in the Link @Sheraton experienced with Microsoft. The signs you mention in the lobby referring to our offering wines rated 90+ by Wine Spectator magazine are advertisement for our Sheraton Social Hour. We do Sheraton Social Hour Monday through Friday evenings from 5-7 PM. We do offer at least 8 wines rated 90+ by Wine Spectator on property at all times. I apologize if any of our servers were unable to assist with having a glass or bottle of these amazing wines.

I was hoping that I might have the opportunity to gain some additional specific details from your visit so that we may improve. Would it be possible to set up a phone call so that we can discuss your stay? Please contact me directly via email at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com or at 907-343-3143.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

Great hotel with all standards you would expect from SPG hotels.
Pros:
Very friendly and helpful staff
Clean and well equipped rooms
Very comfortable beds
Great Wi-Fi
Cons:
Location about 8 blocks from the center of downtown (still walking distance)

• Stayed June 2013
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Worldtravel1420,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our friendly, helpful staff, clean, comfortable rooms and great Wi-Fi. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Nacogdoches, TX
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed here for five nights on points, so I would not know if it is a good deal money wise; however it is a standard Sheraton which is nothing to be ashamed of. Room has a nice size with a view of the mountains (although not all views are of the mountain- you could look out over a cemetery). Came in on a late flight and still had a room held (have had issues with other hotels)- did call ahead of time and give notice of late arrival. While I was walking down hallway to the room the noise in the hallway got louder and louder. Sounded like a plane engine (even though I know it wasn't)- so loud it drowned out the fan in the room. Went back downstairs and explained and they gave me another room that thankfully did not have the awful noise. However, now one of the elevators was stuck on the ground floor and none of the other elevators would come to ground floor. Called mechanical and got it working- I mention this since the comment was made by the hotel staff that this elevator had acted up the same way the night before. Room was quite functional- lots of countertop room in bathroom and nice sized tub/shower and quite comfortable bed. Curtains were able to black out the light at night. Cons- lots of scratches and banged up items in room (although the all worked) and the above issues make the wonder about maintenance. Alarm clock was set to go off (I turned the alarm off) and had to crawl under desk to plug in coffee machine. Extremely tight quarters between toilet and rub. Have one washer and dryer for use on 3rd floor ($1.75 to wash and $1.75 to dry, front desk has quarters). Would stay here again if got a good deal. It does add about 5-7 minutes to your walk downtown versus some closer hotels..

Room Tip: Ask for room with mountain view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear TravelTexan1,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your visit on Trip Advisor. I very much appreciate the detailed comments about your experience staying with us. Your feedback is very important to us. Our goal is to improve whenever presented with an opportunity to do so.

Thank you again for allowing us to serve as your hosts when you are in Anchorage. It was great to read that you would come back and stay with us again. If you do return to Anchorage it would be a true pleasure to have you as our guest.

vancouver
Reviewed 2 June 2013

If you are planning a meeting in Anchorage this is the place to be. The condition of the hotel rooms and meeting rooms are great and well appointed. The staff on the other hand are not that friendly, they are there to do their job but not anything extra, like a smile. I checked in at 2 in the afternoon and there was someone sleeping in my bed, went back down to the front desk and they just said oh! and moved me to a room 5 stories lower without a sorry we downgraded your view and sorry about the mistake. I spoke to others clients about this and they had done that to 3 other rooms also, so open your door slowly and check before you enter. I stayed a the Sheraton in Puerto Rico 2 months ago and this hotel in Anchorage is far superior in cleanliness and style. It must be the two months without sun that gets to the staff.

Room Tip: Open the door slowly in case someone else is in the room I think all rooms are the same in design...
1 Thank VancouverCraig
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear VancouverCraig,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review from your visit. I appreciate your comments about our meeting capabilities, and the condition and cleanliness of our guest rooms. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay and interaction with some of our team members were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our front desk management and team members. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. I feel awful that your experience was not what it should have been.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

Jon Kranock - GM

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I try to be fair in these reviews (see my other ones). I travel a lot and am very familiar with hotels. I don;t expect perfect, but I praise hotels that make an effort... The Sheraton Anchorage didn't even try to meet my expectations.

I was there for a 4 day conference. The problems started at check-in. I noticed on my confirmation there were some errors, so I called well in advance to correct them. When I arrived, they still had my reservation wrong (dates & rates). At least I got the correct bed type... multiple people attending the conference got wrong room types. I will say the staff at check-in was great about fixing issues.

Got to the room, it was FILTHY! Stains on the carpet, damaged furniture, sticky stains on the dresser, broken drain in the bathroom, it looked like they didn't care about the quality of the room. I read theotehr reviews here, so maybe I just got a bad room. but it was B.A.D. (Check out the photos I took... yuk!) To be fair I have to say that the bed was VERY comfortable, but it didn't make up for the other misses.

The service was horrendous. After starting off well a the front desk, things deteriorated throughout the stay. Multiple quickly. I had to visit the front desk on multiple occassions and was left waiting every time. Most of the time staff was either talking on cell phone or to other staff. 1 time they left me waiting for over 10 minutes while they finished a conversation about the weather with teh bellman. Staff in the lounge acted like they were doing us a favor by serving us. They were slow and whenever we needed anything we had to go find them. During the conference they put out coffee stations with paper starbucks cups without lids. When we inquired about lids we were told there weren't any (they had a Strbucks in lobby). Only after talking with a banquet manager did that get resolved.

To top it all off, they were having issues with the heating / cooling systems. Meeting rooms were well over 80 degrees, uncomfortable for all. Originally there was no reaction from staff, but after being prodded by us, they open exterior doors and pointed big floor fans into meeting rooms (it was 50's outside).

So to summarize, room, service, meeting rooms, F&B all disappointed. I would never go back. I'm sure the Sheraton standards are not being met here. If you're going to Anchorage you can find WAY better for the $.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear I3putt2,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that we did not provide to the level of service which you expected and for which we are known. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered while staying at our property. I feel terrible that we let you down. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests.

I will share your experience and comments with our entire team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from our mistakes, become a stronger team and improve our product/services.

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Belize City, Belize
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We were in Anchorage for business but we took two days for sight seeing. On the first day we consulted with the concierge about possible tours and the gentleman was very helpful in giving us information that was very useful. He proceeded to tell us that the best tour is the Whale excursion and even offered to booked the tour for 5 of us. He assured us that he would make it happen and we were impressed with him. When went to our tours in the city and totally enjoyed the city. People were very friendly. upon our return I hit the gym as my normally routine and around 6p.m. return to the front desk to inquirre what time our tour leaves tomorrow morning just to find out that the concierge got all the information but never booked the tour. He stated he needed our credit card. He had asked for phone numbers and e-mail from us before leaving which were provided but he never called us. after 6p.m. the tour companies close and we were in panic how to book the tour and the train passage since that was the last day we could do the tour. He was in a panic mood for 1 hr running like crazy trying to find a solution after he had completed messed up our tour. My groups emotion changed after hearing that we might not be doing the whale cruise after all and might have to hang around the hotel next day. Lucky his manager came to the rescue and found a way to book the tour. we were 1 1/2 hr late for our dinner appointment and the entire evening was a different tone with the group.
The furniture of this hotel needs some help as well.

Dear TedTejada,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I want to sincerely apologize for the difficulty we caused setting up the tour you asked for help with, and for any miscommunication. I am glad that our Director of Rooms was able to step in & get something set up for you and your party. I feel bad that your evening’s plans were interfered with while arrangements were being made.

I can promise you that we do learn from our mistakes. I have already shared your experience and comments with our entire management team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can grow as an organization and learn not to repeat our errors. Thank you also for pointing out the issues with the furniture in your room. We are currently undergoing a furniture refinishing process in all of our rooms which will have everything looking like brand new by the end of this month.

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us. I am very sorry we let you down.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed one night waiting to fly out after a cruise.This downtown hotel is in a fairly sad grotty area of the town and is seemingly surrounded by many empty featureless car parks areas, which may be a general feature of Anchorage.

Our room was adequate but not entirely clean ( quite dusty) and the hallway carpet needed cleaning.The beds were very comfortable.

Our reception experience was okay but our request to dine in the restaurant was not possible as it was not open due to the'season' not started yet. Our chicken meal in the bar area was however good and we did really enjoy the accompanying fresh vegetables that are often lacking in North American restaurant meals.

The breakfast was fairly ordinary with a buffet with a limited selection of hot and cold dishes plus some confusion from the waitress about our voucher only catering for one person( there were two of us and we had already checked on checkin that this voucher was adequate for both).

As a Sheraton hotel this one is definitely at the lower end of their usual standards.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Auswalkers
Dear Auswalkers,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor from your visit. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our housekeeping and food/beverage service & culinary teams. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented. I feel awful that your experience was not what it should have been.

Thank you for your feedback.

Jon Kranock - General Manager