“Fair value, good service, slightly tired facilities”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
San Francisco
“Fair value, good service, slightly tired facilities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Great service from friendly staff. Parking was outdoor with no valet service, which is OK apart from check in, which involved dragging luggage through a downpour.
Room was OK, bathroom was dated & tired.
Public areas suffered from wear & year.
Bit cheeky to describe the hotel as a spa without a pool or hot tub.

• Stayed August 2013
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Hutchero,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your stay on tripadvisor. Thanks for mentioning our fair value, great service and friendly staff. I will be sure to pass your compliments on. I am sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that could have been better. Our bell staff serve as valet, I feel bad that they were not available to assist you.

I did want to clarify that while we don't have a pool or hot tub on premise we do have a full service spa on the top floor of the hotel.

Thank you so much for your feedback and patronage. We hope to have the opportunity to serve as your hosts again.

Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Encinitas, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Our first impressions of the Sheraton Anchorage hotel provided a somewhat mixed picture, the splendor of the jade staircase notwithstanding. The check-in procedures proceeded smoothly and efficiently and we were off to a good start. We had just stepped off the train, having enjoyed an excellent journey from Denali and were ready to see the sights of Anchorage.

The hotel's halls, elevator, and entryways were tastefully decorated and provided a welcome upbeat note, without being gaudy or excessively cheerful.

The room was of average size and the beds were comfortably firm which is a major factor for us after a long day of traveling. The bathroom seemed rather small for a hotel in this class. The room overlooked the south side. It would have been nice to have the view to the east side mountains but the orientation was quite acceptable for our purposes.

The flat screen TV in the room was of good size but the cable service left much to be desired. As a result, we ignored it, effectively making the large flat screen HDTV capability rather useless. Free wi-fi was available and we briefly took advantage of this feature.

The staff was helpful, but frequently preoccupied with other matters such as phone calls, etc. The lobby and the lobby bar both exuded a comfortable ambience, although service was somewhat slow, possibly because of a shortage of staff.

The hotel restaurant, Jade, was acceptable but otherwise not noteworthy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Leonard K,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I am very disappointed that some of the aspects off your stay were less than favorable. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed here for four nights in August of 2013. The rooms are the typical quality of the Sheraton brand but it goes down hill from there.
The location of this place is great if you have a car...or feel up to the long walk to the old-town area. Seriously...there is nothing nearby. The immediate surroundings are desolate.

The worst part of my stay was one evening when I started talking to Brittany, one of the evening receptionists as the front desk. She acknowledged me and I began speaking to her. Midway through my second sentence she answered the phone...and continued speaking, ignoring me. This was not one of those times where a receptionist says "Thank you for calling, please hold," and then returns to the REAL person standing in front of her. No, she literally just bailed on the customer in front of her (me) who had already begun speaking to her in order to take a call.

EPIC FAIL for customer service.

Room Tip: I suggest booking a room at the Hilton. The location is better, and you are likely to get better ser...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Leif D,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you encountered during your visit to our hotel. I am very disappointed that the service you received was not up to your expectations...or ours. We are known for providing exceptional service in a clean, well maintained environment. I feel awful that you experienced anything less than superior service.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team, and will personally follow up with the individual who you mention in your review. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My family and I stayed in Sheraton for two days and those two days have really be delightful! It was my first time in Alaska and I'm really glad I had stayed in Sheraton. It is a very classy hotel with a great staff. Our view that we had was amazing. And the best part was that it was located right in downtown Anchorage so everything was in walking distance! The showers were so soothing and the beds were so comfortable that you don't even want to wake up in the morning. I'd recommend this place to anyone who is coming over to stay in Alaska!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear babypenguin9,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our exceptional staff, amazing showers, comfy beds and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review, and receive your recommendation. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you had a wonderful time on your first visit to beautiful Alaska.
Fresno, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is a pretty good hotel, and although not perfect, it's probably one of the best in Anchorage. You just can't beat the comfortable beds SPG properties have. We were upgraded to Club Level, which was great, because we had a hot breakfast ( we stayed 5 days) , appetizers, bottled water, sodas, juice, etc all complimentary. The hotel is a nice high rise on the edge of town, but no too far from good restaurants if you have a car. We had "city view" in which we overlooked a cemetery...which could bother some, but we thought of it more as a nice green park...;) As we were on vacation, we used Anchorage for a centralized location for day trips. Since we spent much time driving to sights on the Kenai Penninsula, we might consider staying at The Aleyska Ski Resort next time, but as for Anchorage, this place suited us just fine.

Room Tip: try to get "club level"
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear N2Travelling,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on your club level experience, our comfortable beds, and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you had a great trip and enjoyed amazing Alaska.
naples florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed two nights before a cruise.
About a three block walk to center of town.We walked everywhere from here.
Large room, very comfortable bed, city street view.
Good breakfast in hotel restaurant.
Small bathroom and some street noise.
Would stay again if in Anchorage.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear NaplesFloridaJfk,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our large, clean rooms, great food in our restaurant and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

This was our first time staying at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Anchorage. It was a great experience. The staff was nice, helpful. The rooms were clean and quiet, spacious. We had a beautiful view from our window. The beds were very comfortable. There were only a couple of minor issues. We had a VIP club room but had to ask a customer how to use the pass because we weren't given correct information as to how to access the 11th floor. Breakfast was excellent but the area for people to gather their food, plates and silverware was very small and poorly laid out. We had to reach over people to get a plate from the stack that had been tucked in the corner. All in all though we had a great stay and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a good view from any location but a higher room facing the north or east would be best.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ak3250
Dear ak3250,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. I am so very happy that you had a nice experience. Thanks for mentioning our helpful staff, spacious, clean rooms and comfy beds. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment. I apologize for the challenges with the club lounge. We do everything we can to keep up with the volume of business during the summer. I feel bad for any inconvenience we caused. I will share your comments and experience with our Food/Beverage management and club lounge service team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from your experience and improve.

We look forward to an opportunity to serve as your hosts again very soon.