“Clean Classy & Comfortable!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Anchorage Hotel

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #24 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Kelso, Washington
“Clean Classy & Comfortable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Sheraton Anchorage was a welcome retreat from the sub zero temperatures that we were having outside. We were staying on business. The lounge on the lobby level was nice and warm. The bar service/wait-staff a bit slow, but very friendly.
We stayed 3 nights. The upstairs workout room was small, but efficient, and the view from the top is beautiful.
Great location, and easy parking. Going back in 2 weeks, and we will be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Cskerbeck,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your stay on tripadvisor. We appreciate your taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It was great to read that you found our Ptarmigan lounge warm and welcoming. Thanks too for mentioning our friendly team members, the exceptional views and our convenient location. I will be sure to share your comments/experience with our entire team.

We are grateful for your feedback, and look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Nottingham, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We enjoyed this hotel in downtown Anchorage in September of this year!
We were able to stay on the Club level.
The club rooms were very nice and the Club level lounge was especially nice to enjoy.
Thanks to the staff for a lovely stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Rddiggins,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. I am so glad you had a nice visit with us. Thank you for commenting on our club level rooms & the exceptional experience and value of our club lounge. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our team members.

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Rooms are comfortable and staff is excellent. The biggest drawback of the Sheraton is there is nothing really close by in the way of restaurants. Capn Cook is better for just strolling around downtown; but Sheraton restaurant, at least for breakfast, is much better. Eggs to order makes it and buffet is pretty good and reasonable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Aspen5,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Thanks for commenting about our comfortable rooms and the tasty food in our Jade restaurant. We appreciate your sharing your experience and comments.

We would be honored to have you come back and see us again soon!

Homer, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have stayed at the Anchorage Sheraton at least three times for business trips.
On every occasion the condition, cleanliness and staff were superior to all the other hotels which we have visited in Anchorage.
They have good accessible parking.
Their meeting rooms are very nice and the hotel restaurant is very good. Although it is a tad expensive.
And get this,,, their beds and pillows are not like the sandbags you find in many other hotels.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the mountains.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex C
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Alex C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us whenever business brings you to Anchorage, and for posting a review on trip advisor. I am so glad you have enjoyed your visits with us. We appreciate your commenting on our clean rooms, comfortable beds & pillows, easy parking and exceptional staff. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. We appreciate your patronage, loyalty and recommendation. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is one of the best experiences I've had at a hotel in a long time. I've gotten used to hotels (no matter how expensive) providing the minimal acceptable service. Instead, I actually felt at home in the Sheraton Anchorage. Upon my arrival at a late hour, the clerk upgraded me to a suite that was very comfortable and aesthetically pleasing, with a renovated bathroom and a cool four poster wooden bed and wooden Alaska-style furnishings, very cozy, with a great view. I felt like I could live in the room, which I never feel in most hotels. I slept well, and in the morning ate at the buffet in the Jade room, which was quite decent for a buffet. But the best thing about this hotel is the service-- every single employee behaved in a way that was both personable and helpful, as if they actually cared about my experience. That never happens! It was wonderful. I wanted to stay longer. The bellman was even reading a cool book and carried it with him on his trolley, and helped me pack up a box as if he was my friend. Lovely place with excellent vibes.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Veronica S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, for posting a review on trip advisor and for the exceptional rating. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our helpful and personable team members, comfortable, cozy rooms, exceptional service and "wonderful vibes". All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. Your comment about our team members actually caring about you and your experience was extremely gratifying to read. I believe we have an amazing team and it is rewarding to read that you saw and felt it as well. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I held off on writing this review in the hopes that Sheraton would try to do something about our experience, but unfortunately the lack of management of this issue only made our impression of Sheraton worse. I originally called Corp the night we checked in and although they promised to give us a call back they never did and had the local manager email us. After our vacation I wrote a very detailed experience of exactly what had occurred because it was not acceptable. After not receiving a reply to my email for 13 days, I decided to write Corp about my experience and not receiving a reply. The next day I received a response from the local manager, never from corp, which leads me to believe they aren't concerned about customers. The response tried to justify what happened with the following: "Our hotel is unique in that we are not your typical property where check-in is at 3 and check-out is at noon. A lot of our guests are airline employees and, in the summer, tour attendees. Because of their fluctuating schedules, we constantly have guests checking in and out at all hours of the day and night " My check in time should have been 4pm that day, but a room was still not ready for me at 3 am. When I finally got one it was filthy- including fecal matter in the toilet and stains all over the carpet. I find this completely unacceptable they continue to do this to people. I've chosen to post this review because it isn't an isolated occurrence and people should be warned. I paid more to stay here based on its high ratings. I was appalled by my experience and response from Sheraton.

My email detailing my experience: I'm not sure if the complaints we addressed last night were expressed clearly to you or not, but I can assure you I felt that the situation presented to us was extreme and unacceptable in every way. I have worked in management and customer service now for over 15 years and can appreciate the gravity of online reviews, which is why I'm taking the time to write you now and clearly explain to you what happened in the hopes of a resolution to the issues and for this not to happen to others.

First, I chose the Sheraton over the Marriott based solely on how great the online reviews were. At the time of booking, being at the Sheraton meant I was spending hundreds of dollars more over the Marriott and other choices. I made the decision to pay the extra money since you were currently the highest rated hotel and I felt assured that our time there would be comfortable and we would experience cleanliness and excellent service. Sadly, this was not the case at all. I travel a decent amount and have stayed everywhere from hostels in Thailand to Ritz Carlton's and I have to say I have never experienced anything like this in my life.

After landing we got our rental car and promptly headed over to the hotel. Upon arrival we were told they didn't have a room ready for us. Seeing as how it was after midnight and we'd already paid for the entire day at the hotel this seemed very odd to me, but we were understanding and polite about it. We were told it would take 30 minutes and the front desk associate recommended we go to have a drink and relax at the Polar Club behind the hotel and she would call my cell phone when our room was ready. We had a couple drinks while waiting as patiently as we could, but exhausted as well, for the phone call that our room was ready. Half an hour passed, then an hour, and still no call. An hour and a half into our wait a random woman at the bar approached us and started telling us how she had just gotten out of jail for stabbing someone in the same bar we were at. She started crying, telling us in detail about the event and making us feel very uncomfortable. We promptly closed out our tab because I was not feeling safe in the bar that was recommended to us and headed over to the hotel. Upon arrival we found a lobby full of people waiting with their suitcases for their rooms to be available too. I checked in at the front desk to hear that our room was still not ready. An hour and a half later! She assured us it would only be 20 more minutes and to have a seat and they'd grab us as soon as the room was ready. We took a seat and again waited as 20 minutes passed, then 30 minutes. I again approached the desk and was told that they, "Didn't want us to have to wait any longer and that she had arranged for us to stay at the Marriott for no additional charge." First, when I was booking hotels, the Marriott's price was significantly lower than the Sheraton's and I chose to spend the extra money based on reviews. I understand prices fluctuate and perhaps at that exact moment the Marriott and Sheraton prices were comparable, but I didn't find this an acceptable solution. First, if I had wanted to stay at the Marriott, I would have booked the Marriott. Also, she had just sent us over to have drinks while we waited and then she was suggesting we get in the car and drive somewhere? I basically told her I was exhausted, wanted my room there and was not able to tolerate anymore for the night. I told her I didn't understand how if our supposed check in was earlier that day a room could not be ready for us at this point. She explained that you guys have a contract with cruise ships and pilots and give them extended check out hours so in theory you're double booking the rooms and making the customers paying more wait hours on end and this is just a policy you have there? I am perplexed. Anyhow, at this point magically a room was instantly ready and supposedly clean and ready to go.

We went upstairs to our room to find housekeeping in the room next door. We could hear smirking and laughing and I looked to see who it was, only to find it was the same gentleman who had been at the front desk when we first arrived and then was out back smoking and laughing with a group of people as we walked over to the bar that was recommended to us. Suddenly it seemed to make sense that the room that was supposed to be ready in 30 minutes wasn't for over 2 hours if he was indeed who was in charge of cleaning the rooms. To add insult to injury, when we walked into the room it was not clean at all. There was still fecal matter stuck to the side of the toilet, the bed was disheveled looking and there were stains all over the carpet. This is when we placed the call in regards to the room to corporate and basically received no help at all. We were told they would check in with the staff and then call us back, which never happened.

The next morning we went downstairs and had breakfast while we got together our plan for the day. I realized I'd forgotten something in the room so 20 minutes into breakfast I ran upstairs to grab it- we left the hotel room and immediately went down to eat, no stops in between- and found that our room had already been cleaned by housekeeping and was finished as far as they were concerned. Is there really that big of a discrepancy between night and day staff that a daytime housekeeper takes 20 minutes and a night housekeeper takes over 2 hours? The stains on the carpet remained, but the toilet was finally cleaned. Because I didn't want to deal with this situation while trying to have a mini vacation I decided to just deal with the given situation and enjoy the other aspects of Alaska as much as possible. Based on our reservation and other reviews I was really expecting a pleasant stay with great customer service, and was upset by the experience we had. While I always make a note of above par service, I also usually let below average service go and rarely complain, but I have to be honest with you in saying that this was a really horrible experience for me overall. With our booking it mentioned club level access or something to this effect, but when we checked in there was no mention of this. On our second to last day I inquired about it and found out that we were supposed to have been given a second key to access it and would have been provided with coffee and breakfast every morning if the front desk had given us this information. Instead we paid for breakfast and Starbucks every morning.

After checking in and being shocked by what was occurring we did go online to look at the reviews again and found that there had been several poor reviews after I'd booked the hotel complaining of very similar issues, which further upset me. It seemed that this issue had been going on for weeks without any resolve, which really leads me to believe it was not a priority of management's if it continued to happen and huge steps had not been taken to avoid the same issues. I want to believe that this is not a Sheraton issue across the board, but I couldn't believe 1. the experience we had at the rates we paid 2. that the corporate phone number we called and left a message with never returned our call 3. that the original email I received as a response was pretty unapologetic.

I'm not sure if the depth of detail wasn't conveyed properly or if these circumstances weren't viewed as being as big of a deal as I believe them to be. I have taken the time and effort to write all of this in the hopes that with the details of my experience it will be taken more seriously. I've opted to write you first instead of making an online review because of my experience in management and I believe it's fair to give management a chance to make things right and correct staffing issues without one "off" night being recorded and shared with all, but I also feel that if this really is an occurring issue others should be saved from having an experience like mine, especially with how much money we spent to stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer M
Dear Jennifer M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to post a review of your visit. I feel awful that you were disappointed with your stay at our hotel and that we did not do a better job of communicating with you during and after your visit. I can promise you that providing our guests with great service, and a clean, well maintained facility for our guests is a top priority. Obviously we committed a series of mistakes in your case and for that I am sincerely sorry.

I will be sure to share your comments and experience (in an educational and constructive manner) with our entire service team. Our ultimate goal is to improve from each learning opportunity presented.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Took over a month to clear up an accounting issue. I talked with someone that said they would clear it up for me and after checking a month later and several phone calls I finally resolved it by going in personally. I was frustrated by the non communication. A simple returned phone call would have been nice. I will not stay at this hotel again. I don't feel that I was treated well.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Linkalive
Dear Linkalive,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review of your visit on tripadvisor. Thank you for complimenting us our guest rooms. I am very sorry to learn that you encountered a problem with our hotel accounting and that we did not do a good job of communicating with you to resolve the issue. You absolutely should not have had to come into the hotel to get it fixed. I don't blame you for being frustrated and for not feeling like you were treated well. I won't try to make any excuses on our part. We should have resolved your issue immediately and showed a sense of urgency in doing so. I feel terrible that we let you down.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about the issue, and what we could have done better. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your experience with me so that we are best able to improve.