“A few hickups along the way, but otherwise pretty good”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I arrived late at the Anchorage Sheraton to witness a group of people at reception complaining about their rooms being given away. The manager had been summoned and they were asked to sit and wait for him. Luckily my room had been held, but it took me 20 minutes to get checked in because the trainee receptionist needed help from the manager, the only other person on duty. My long wait at reception meant that I got to the hotel restaurant just after it closed, so I went to bed on an empty stomach.

So my first impressions and experience of the Sheraton were not particularly great but things got better after that, so I have decided to award this place a four-star rating. My room was large and well appointed, with a nice view east towards the mountains. The only thing missing was a safe storage box, but it seems a lot of hotels I stay in these days do not have this vital piece of equipment. I only had breakfast while I was there. I had the buffet ($17 all inclusive), which included reindeer sausage, juice and unlimited coffee.

My other minor gripe about this place is it is located in a rather seedy part of the city, away from the action that surrounds the Hilton hotel a few blocks away. So if I visited Anchorage again I would probably look at staying closer in. Still, this is a pretty good place to stay if your options are running low.

Room Tip: The rooms on the east side have a good view of the Chugach Mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank OilRover
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear OilRover,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from a visit. We appreciate your compliments and comments on your large, well appointed room, and the great view facing the mountains. I would like to apologize for the challenges at check in. I will be certain to share your feedback with our front office management team (in an educational and constructive manner), so that we make sure we improve from your experience.

I did want to mention that every guest room does have a safe for our guests to use. Our laptop sized safes are conveniently located in the bottom drawer of the dresser.

We very much appreciate your patronage and hope to have the opportunity to serve as your hosts again soon.

Jon Kranock - GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a great 2 day stay at the Sheraton Anchorage. The Club rooms have a greet view of the city and the mountains beyond. The room is well appointed too. The restaurant seems to shut early as I remember having a bit of a challenge finding food in the hotel at 11pm, when we checked in. The breakfast at the club room was a total mess and best avoided. There is just factor which would dissuade me from returning to the hotel and that is the location. The hotel is located a couple of blocks beyond where the "real downtown" Anchorage ends (real downtown is really very small) and the area does get a little quiet. One notices it only if you are walking back to the hotel, which in our case was from the Anchorage museum. Not an issue at all if you are taking a cab back. A good option to stay in Anchorage albeit with a caveat!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jigiindia
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Jigiindia,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing feedback from your visit. So glad you had a nice stay with us, appreciated the view and found our guest rooms well appointed. I apologize for the challenge you had in the club lounge. Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so. I will be sure to pass your comments/experience to our food/beverage service and culinary teams so that we make sure we improve.

Thanks again for your patronage and the feedback.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, close to Downtown of this City. Great rooms with magnificent view. Restaurant is perfect, service staff great as well. Perfect place for your vacation. Loved every moment. 10 min walk to city centre and near by shopping places such as Nordstrom, where you can shop a lot since there is no tax.... Love it

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank fabioinmontreal

Dear Fabioinmontreal,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your exceptional rating and comments on our beautiful hotel, convenient location how much you loved everything. I will be sure to pass your compliments and comments on to the team and let them know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in a great location - everything was what you would expect from a Starwood Sheraton resort. What took it to the next level was a single employee - David Blome was the epitome of an empowered caring employee. I would definitely stay there again an highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Matt H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing feedback from your visit. I was very happy to learn that you describe both our location and hotel as great. I agree with your comments on David Blome. He is an amazing associate who truly cares about "his" guests and does whatever it takes to make their visits both memorable and amazing. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to him and the entire team.

We look forward to your next visit and appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here awhile back for our vacation. Outstanding services, awesome view of downtown Anchorage. Many shops and restaurants. Bars and couples activities near by. Personally recommended for couples for a long get away from it all

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alvin C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for providing feedback from your visit. We are grateful for the exceptional rating and comments on our outstanding service and the amazing views from our guest rooms.

We look forward to your next visit and sincerely appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

First let me me say the staff was very nice and helpful. The room was spacious. The bed was comfortable. The sheets were clean. And there was always plenty of towels. Breakfast is included with your stay, but it is bare bone minimum.

The hotel itself needs a lot of work. It is a bit run down. There is no doorman or bellhop. Front doors do not open automatically (imagine, tired with no one to help, holding a door open and dragging heavy luggage). So, if you arrive weary in the early morning hours tired from traveling all day, you'll have to lug your heavy luggage yourself. Luggage carts were no where to be found.

We had some minor issues. Both telephone in the rooms were not working, the safe was inoperable, and the tv remote batteries needed to be replaced. These issues were resolved the day they were reported. But, really, this shouldn't happen.

Although the room was spacious, the furniture and carpets need to be replaced or thoroughly cleaned. There were visible stains on the sofa. There was a small refrigerator, but no minibar. There is a club area where breakfast is served that is open 24 hrs to access free water, juices, sodas, and snacks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Adri0809,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing feedback from your visit. It is obvious from your comments that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. For that I am truly sorry. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you so that we can best improve from your experience. I appreciate that you have already taken a significant amount of time to post this review and promise that I will do everything I can to insure we improve from the feedback you have and will provide.

I can be reached at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com or vie phone at 907-343-3143.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton one night before we headed east on the Glen Hwy. The hotel is right on the street that heads straight out there. That was very convenient. The lobby was pleasant and the front desk people friendly. We parked our car across the street. The room was good Sheraton standards clean and comfortable. Sheraton is not really that close to downtown if you are walking, driving not a problem. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear WA_traveller57,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. We appreciate your rating, feedback, and comments on our convenient location, pleasant lobby, friendly staff and clean/comfortable rooms.

I hope you had a great visit to our beautiful space. We would be honored to serve as your hosts again very soon.