“Why can't they do better?”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I mean, its a Sheraton. I can't believe they still charge to have WiFi in the room. The "lobby" area is free, but, come on! Mickey D has free WiFi ! The TV thing was a pain in the @$$. They sent a "techy" type, but he couldn't fix it. Also, it must be on a timer to turn off to save engergy. It went down as penalty kicks were going on with World Cup! How come no vent for the bathroom? I have taken a cold shower before, but not often - - - mirror has to be steamed up! When 2 people come to stay the night, do all hotels think only 1 bag comes so only 1 stand for it is provided? This latter comment pertains to all hotels of the hundreds we've stayed at. I guess the chair is planned to be the stand ? Its what we use it for.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul R
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Paul R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. We are grateful for the great rating and the feedback from your visit to our hotel. From reading your review it is clear that you had some challenges during your visit. For that I am truly sorry. It would be very beneficial if I might be able to speak with you about your visit, so that I could get additional details and apologize in person. I can be reached directly at 907-343-3143 or via email at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

I did want to address some of your concerns. We do have exhaust fans in our guest bath rooms. The fans are active all the time with no switch needing to be turned on. We do provide a second luggage rack in every guest room, the spare is kept in the closet.

Thank you again for your patronage and feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent our first 2 night in AK at this hotel before leaving for Seward. It's in a good location and easy to find driving from the airport. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Our room was modest but adequate. I would recommend they update the bath. Visits to the hospitality room for breakfast were pretty rough. On our first day's visit there were no plates, utensils or staff! Serve yourself scrambled eggs were loaded onto one's plate with a teaspoon. The second day there was no coffee or juice either. Returning from Seward, we spent another night here before going to Denali. This time they gave us vouchers for breakfast in the dining room. Much better! (I'm an SPG Lifetime Platinum Member.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Don B,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing feedback from your visit. We are grateful for your loyalty to SPG and for the comments on our convenient location and friendly/efficient team members. Sorry about the challenges with the club lounge. Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so. I have shared your comments with our club lounge management and service teams (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can most effectively benefit from your experience and feedback.

We look forward to our next opportunity to serve as your hosts.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Anchorage Sheraton for 5 nights. The room, lobby, elevators and all other common areas that we visited were very clean. We stayed on the 12th floor and had a view over looking downtown, the water and the mountains. Every staff member that we encountered was very friendly. Every time that we ate at the hotel, our meals were very good. At the morning breakfast buffet we had the most attentive waiter, his name was Alvin. For our vacation, the hotel was in a perfect location. The hotel is located a few blocks from all of the stores, restaurants and bars downtown; which made souvenir shopping and meals easy. We rented a car on this trip, and from the hotel's location it was very easy to find and get on the Seward Highway for all of our adventures outside of Anchorage. If we travel to Anchorage again, I would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Jessica M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. We appreciate your commenting on how exceptionally clean the hotel and your room were. It's great to know that you found our staff so friendly and enjoyed your meals in our Jade restaurant. I will be sure to share your compliments and experience with our entire team, and will go make sure I let Alvin know how much you appreciated his attentive service.

Thanks for making the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa a small part of your Alaska adventure. We would be honored to serve as your guests again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Not reallly worth the price per night in my opinion. Dated facilities, slightly over priced menu, and the AC iin the room is weak. Very nice staff though, as well as the bar near the spa. If not for being there on government expense, I would've stayed elsewhere. I'm not sure if it being Alaska really justifies the rates.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank flying_okie
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear flying_okie,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing feedback from your visit. I would like to apologize for the fact that you did not have a great experience at our hotel. I appreciate your commenting on how nice our staff members are.

It would be very helpful if I could speak with you in person or via email so that I can gather some specific details from your visit. Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so.

Thank you for your patronage and for letting us know what we can do to improve.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Overpriced, no free wifi, no shuttle service and have to pay to park. Ice spa is also over priced couples message was acward and not enjoyable. Booked a suite bathroom was small and outdated. Please stay elsewhere not worth time even thinking about this place

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank John88823

Dear John88823,

Thank you for providing feedback from your visit to our hotel. I am terribly sorry that you did not have a good visit to our hotel. It would be very helpful if I could speak with you so that I may personally apologize, and to gather information from your visit so that we can take whatever steps are necessary to improve.

Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so. I appreciate the time you have taken to let us know about your experience and hope to speak with you very soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here in July 2014 and had a wonderful experience. It is true that the hotel looks a little dated and are not manned by super cool staff but it is compensated by the sincerity of service and genuine warmth of the staff. The restaurant in the lobby also served some excellent seafood like Halibut with Coconut and Curry Powder and a rather rare Hawaiian fish called Wahoo. Both tasted great. We had a clear view of Mt. Mckinley from our 10th floor room facing the bay/inlet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear AnjanSen,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your commenting on the genuine, warm, & sincere service you received from our team members, the exceptional food in Jade and amazing views from your guest room.

I hope you and your family enjoyed your Alaska adventure.

We hope to serve as your hosts again very soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked 3 rooms for 2 nights before departing to Seward on our cruise. There are expectations one should have when staying in a $300 + night hotel. Working light fixtures for one. .. 2 lamps were unplugged, I'm guessing to the lack of outlets in the room for charging devices. The bellman didn't know what to do. The lone office style chair was in such poor dilapidated condition I had to take a picture of it. When I brought it to the attention of a woman who was in the lobby conducting a "how is your stay survey" = I showed her the picture. Her comment? We have new chairs on order....really? We had an issue with transportation - twice - due to staff misinformation. The first night, we asked the desk clerk about getting to the zoo and he 'knew' a guy who could take us there for $40 per person - we had 7 people. In the morning, I awoke early and came downstairs to ask again about getting to the zoo - the desk clerk told me about the 'free' shuttle bus that makes regular stops...really? The second transportation issue occurred when the young lady who was working the tour desk, helped us with getting limo service to the train station at 5:45 am. No room for error at that time in the morning. At 5:50 I called the company contracted and they had no record of a reservation being made from the hotel - but could pick us up in a hour. Really? How about trying to get a taxi to the train station at the same time as hundreds of other folks. We were very disappointed with our first Alaskan hospitality stop.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve R
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Steve R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. I want to sincerely apologize for the challenges your room, and for the poor communication/follow up by our team members.

I can promise you that we do learn from our mistakes. I have already shared your experience and comments with our entire management team (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can grow as an organization and learn not to repeat our errors.

We appreciate your choosing to stay with us. I am very sorry we let you down.