“First hand experience.”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Well we stayed at Sheraton Anchorage for three separate nights within a week. We found the staff to be excellent and the Club Level while not like other hotels adequate. That the Club room was available 24/7 was fine since we arrived after midnight. But we enjoyed the cocktail lounge even better, the staff there especially Yong to be very efficient and caring. I also belong to SPG and a few other chain member clubs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Roger T,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us (3 times in a week). We appreciate your patronage, and feedback very much. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our club lounge and food/beverage service teams. Our goal is to improve any time we are presented with an opportunity to do so.

I will be sure to let Yong know how much you appreciated her attentiveness, efficiency and caring attitude.

We are grateful for your loyalty to SPG & hope to have the opportunity to serve as your hosts again soon.

Jon Kranock - GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great location - close to downtown and museum, comfy beds, clean bathroom (tub is slippery, take care!), nice gym ... the breakfast buffet is good, the seating area a bit cramped when several groups queue for breakfast. Pity the bar closes at 11 pm.

Room Tip: The first night I had a room on the 14th floor with a stunning view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Birdssalad,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit to our hotel. We appreciate the comments on our cleanliness, convenient location, comfy beds, and tasty breakfast buffet. Your feedback is very much appreciated. I will be sure to pass it along to the team.

We hope to serve as your hosts again very soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed at this Sheraton for 2 nites for a work trip. I have stayed here before and previously found it one of Anchorage's better hotels. Unfortunately this was not a good stay. Upon check-in, I was given rm 318. When I got to the room the door was open and lots of linen were on the floor. Front desk apologized and quickly moved me to 1118, next to the club lounge. The room itself was comfortable nondescript Sheraton room. However, the bathroom was probably the smallest of any hotel I have stayed (I don't remember them this small) so small you had to step in toward the back before closing the door to use toilet (use of toilet could not occur if door was open as the shower curtain prevents 90 degree angle - one of the curved rods).

Unfortunately the 5th street side of the hotel faces the railroad tracks. As someone that needs a cool room to sleep, the air con was not cooling (or became hot at night) requiring the windows to be open. The good thing, is this hotel has windows that open. Monday night that was not a problem but Tuesday night it was impossible to sleep with the train whistles/horns. The airport would have been quieter. The club room, which I appreciated the hotel granting me access, was noisy both mornings (because it is small, the worker seems to stage food in the hallway). While I appreciated access to the club, it was the poorest quality of any club room I have visited in a while - they seem to ration food, and its not the full breadth of breakfast or evening finger food that other Sheraton's offer. It was nice tho' go have many cans of Diet Coke.

The hotel charges $10 per night to park a car across the street. Hotel wifi was awful - it constantly booted me off and was very slow. I eventually had to start up my own IPhone hotspot to get my work done. When I returned home, I called AT&T as I was also having slow wifi at home, they reset my Iphone, so it may not have been completely Sheraton's issue (tho' I see others with similar comments).

If you are noise sensitive ask for a room overlooking 6th-the Cemetery.

I gave an average rating, partially because they gave me access to the club after the room problem and from past experiences at the hotel.

Room Tip: Face the 6th Street-Cemetery side, as the opposite side gets a lot of rail yard noise
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mary V,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again during your recent trip. I very much appreciate your taking the time to let us know about this past visit. It is obvious from reading your comments, that we did not provide you with the experience, and level of comfort you deserve. For that I am truly sorry. I feel just awful that you were unable to sleep due to noise.

I was hoping that I might have the opportunity to speak with you so that you can share some specific details from your stay. Your input is vitally important, and you have my word that we will take whatever steps possible to improve.

I understand that you are busy, and appreciate the time you have already given to writing your review. Any further help you can give will allow us to become a better organization and to present a better product for our guests.

Thank you very much.

907-343-3143
jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Overall, we were disappointed in this hotel. Anchorage is not all that large but the hotel is at one end of the city away from the downtown. We upgraded to the concierge level so we could ensure a magnificent view. Breakfast, evening appetizers, and snacks were offered in the Club Room as part of the package. This, however, was a huge disappointment. Not enough seating for everyone, dishes piled up in the sink, constant food shortages (we were told we would have to wait 30 minutes for scrambled eggs, they ran out of coffee, orange juice and water). The hotel does not have a pool or hot tub but does have a fee-based day spa which we did not use. Also, there is no shuttle to the airport. Save your money and do not book a Club Level Room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mary-Lou S,

Thank you for posting a review from your visit to our hotel. I would like to thank you as well for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. I am terribly sorry you had challenges in our club lounge. From reading your comments it is obvious that we did not do a good job of taking care of you in the lounge, and for that I am truly sorry.

Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so. I will personally share your comments and experience with our food & beverage management/service teams to make sure we address the challenges you faced immediately, and get better.

Thank you for your patronage and for the very helpful feedback.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

After debarking from a cruise ship in Seward we found ourselves stranded at a Resort in Girdwood as I would miss the rest of our land package. The folks at Girdwood offered no help - seriously - no help. My wife called the Sheraton in Anchorage as that would be where the land package ended in a few days. The lady on the other end told my wife not to worry and hold for 5 minutes. In those 5 minutes she arranged for our room for the 2 extra nights and a shuttle was on the way to Girdwood to pick us up. During our stay there they did everything we asked of them and I was able to get to a Doc and make my scheduled flight home. The place would have gotten a good review from me anyway, but THIS is the kind of "go above & beyond" customer service that I had not seen in quite a while. In my opinion, they deserve your business. They sure earned my loyalty.

Dear Dave F,

Thank you for providing feedback from your visit to our hotel. We are so glad that we had a room available during your time of need. We appreciate your patronage, comments, recommendation and loyalty.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful state. We would be honored to serve as your hosts again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I mean, its a Sheraton. I can't believe they still charge to have WiFi in the room. The "lobby" area is free, but, come on! Mickey D has free WiFi ! The TV thing was a pain in the @$$. They sent a "techy" type, but he couldn't fix it. Also, it must be on a timer to turn off to save engergy. It went down as penalty kicks were going on with World Cup! How come no vent for the bathroom? I have taken a cold shower before, but not often - - - mirror has to be steamed up! When 2 people come to stay the night, do all hotels think only 1 bag comes so only 1 stand for it is provided? This latter comment pertains to all hotels of the hundreds we've stayed at. I guess the chair is planned to be the stand ? Its what we use it for.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul R
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Paul R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. We are grateful for the great rating and the feedback from your visit to our hotel. From reading your review it is clear that you had some challenges during your visit. For that I am truly sorry. It would be very beneficial if I might be able to speak with you about your visit, so that I could get additional details and apologize in person. I can be reached directly at 907-343-3143 or via email at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.

I did want to address some of your concerns. We do have exhaust fans in our guest bath rooms. The fans are active all the time with no switch needing to be turned on. We do provide a second luggage rack in every guest room, the spare is kept in the closet.

Thank you again for your patronage and feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent our first 2 night in AK at this hotel before leaving for Seward. It's in a good location and easy to find driving from the airport. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Our room was modest but adequate. I would recommend they update the bath. Visits to the hospitality room for breakfast were pretty rough. On our first day's visit there were no plates, utensils or staff! Serve yourself scrambled eggs were loaded onto one's plate with a teaspoon. The second day there was no coffee or juice either. Returning from Seward, we spent another night here before going to Denali. This time they gave us vouchers for breakfast in the dining room. Much better! (I'm an SPG Lifetime Platinum Member.)

Dear Don B,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing feedback from your visit. We are grateful for your loyalty to SPG and for the comments on our convenient location and friendly/efficient team members. Sorry about the challenges with the club lounge. Our goal is to improve whenever presented an opportunity to do so. I have shared your comments with our club lounge management and service teams (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can most effectively benefit from your experience and feedback.

We look forward to our next opportunity to serve as your hosts.