“Awesome Experience”

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Work as a pilot in Denali National Park every summer. Booked a 2 night stay at the Sheraton in Anchorage to celebrate a birthday. Overall, an excellent experience. The desk staff was friendly and helpful...he even upgraded our room to a nice suite. All the cool places in downtown are within walking distance. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed July 2014
Todd C, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for you kind comments. We hope that you can visit us again sometime soon. We have posted your comments where the team can enjoy them also .We are so happy that you were able to enjoy downtown Anchorage, Happy Flying!

Todd Capizzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We really liked this hotel. It's in a perfect location and you can easily walk into the main part of town. The beds are really comfy, the rooms are quiet and the staff is friendly. The only suggestion would be for the hotel to do a better job with the black-out curtains. In the summer it's light until late at night and sunlight comes through the sides and middle of the curtains so the room is pretty lite up (believe me...we messed with them but didn't get it to work). Overall though, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experience. We Alaskans cherish the sunlight when we have it but I understand it can become bothersome when you are trying to sleep. We do have special black out curtains, but if they are not effective enough, then that is something that we need to address right away. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

General Manger
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I am a Starwood devotee but also have Marriott loyalty, so when choosing between the two hotels for a two night stay in Anchorage, it would have been nice to know that the Sheraton is about a mile away from all of the restaurants in town.
My wife and I got our exercise on this trip.

The hotel is fine however the rooms are somewhat small (single vanity in bath and barely enough room to walk past bed) and the tv kept resetting back to the SPG channel which was annoying.

In summer in Alaska with 22 hours of daylight, better blackout blinds would have been nice as we had a constant glow of light from the sides.

The lounge was packed full of families during our stay, so most of the snacks were gone whenever we stopped by. I always find it strange how people use the lounge as a replacement for meals. The coffee is pretty bad, but I think the locals go for weak coffee anyway (even Snow City's coffee was pretty weak).

Generally I cannot recommend this place to stay. If you are choosing between the Marriott or Sheraton like I was, definitely go for the Marriott which is about a block from the city center. And I've come to realize that full service Marriott's are more equivalent to the quality of the Westin line, where the Sheraton brand is a step down.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. I hope that I can address some of your issues.
While we are on the “other side” of the downtown area, we are less than one block from at least 5 different bars & restaurants and within 2 to 3 blocks of many many more. We are actually the closest hotel to the Anchorage Museum of History & Art and to the largest mall in the downtown area. We are always glad to give directions and recommendations
While we do provide black out curtains if they are not working up to your expectations, that is something that I want to address with my housekeeping staff.
We so much appreciate you giving us the opportunity to take your comments and use them to make the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel & Spa a better place for you to stay.

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here for one night.

Location: Excellent. Nearly everything was close by.

Parking: $10/day in open lots

Building: Nice spacious lobby with two very different entrances. Has a large restaurant on one side. Elevators to the Club floor required a five-digit code.

Rooms: Normal rooms - badly need upgrading. Need more outlets, especially near the headboard. Bathroom can also use an upgrade.

Staff: Nice & professional.

Billing: Even though we have SPG Platinum, they charged us for internet, requiring us to call to get it removed. Tacky!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on your time with us. We are so glad that you were pleased with our location, building and above all our staff.
You will be happy to know that thanks to comments like yours we are in the process of making many upgrades to our guest rooms.
I am sorry that you had an issue with your billing. I hope that it was quickly and easily resolved. If it is not resolved or there is anything at all that I can do for you, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton. Staff was very friendly/helpful. Concierge helped us plan an awesome train/whale watching excursion.

Meals at the restaurant were good. Price was what I would expect for location/hotel.

The only thing that was a negative for us was location. We had to take a cab to get anywhere.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your great comments about our hotel and our staff. I have made sure to share it with them. I am so excited that the staff was able to make such a great adventure as Whale Watching happen for you.
I am sorry that you felt a little isolated, but we are less than one block from several bars & restaurants and only 2 or 3 from many more. We are also the closest hotel in town to the Anchorage Museum of History & Art and to the 5th Avenue Mall.

General Manger
toronto
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for one night as we had a medical emergency and had to leave early. front desk was most accommodating as we expected to have to pay for two nights. Wonderful hotel. Our room was fine and we did not experience what others said about the room. we were conveniently located just a few blocks from downtown. that was perfect for us.
our breakfast was exceptional. fresh fruit, delicious breads, cheese blintzes, and a fresh omelet station.
the staff were professional and friendly. we enjoyed our conversations with the very friendly staff. we would stay there again.
the concierge service was extremely helpful and planned a perfect day for us. we loved the fresh lemon/fruit water in the lobby and the lovely apples.
we hope to make another trip to Alaska and would only stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: just ask for a room with a mountain view....
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Deblam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing feedback from your visit. So sorry you had to leave early, I hope the situation was resolved and all is well. We appreciate the exceptional rating and comments about our accommodating staff, convenient location, and the little extras (infused water in the lobby & complimentary apples at the front desk).

We hope you do get the chance to make another trip to Alaska soon. We would be thrilled to serve as your hosts again.

Take care.

Jon Kranock - GM
Houston, TX
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is located in a good location for most everything you would need on a trip. The lobby area was nice, the bar area served some good food and the rooms were adequate size. I did find this particular Sheraton needed some updating. One of the drawers in the rooms' dresser was broke and the bathroom tile needed some hard scrubbing. The rest of the room was fine and the continental breakfast was more than adequate. Overall it was clean but did need some renovation and upgrades.

Room Tip: This location is great for getting in and out of town. It is located on a major street but I did n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chantz52,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit. We appreciate your commenting on our convenient location, nice bar and good food. I am sorry that you had some challenges in your guest room. I was hoping you might reach out to me to share the number of the room you stayed in. I want to make sure the issues you mentioned have been addressed.

I can be reached at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com or via phone at 907-343-3143.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We hope to serve as your hosts again soon.

Take care.