“OK Hotel”

Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
“OK Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I'm not sure that there are any really great hotels in Anchorage at a decent price, but this one comes close. It is a Sheraton, so you get the good Sheraton beds. The rooms are clean, and the bathrooms are OK. Free Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby, unless you are a member of Starwood Preferred Guest.

We had several maintenance issues, including a lot of mold in the shower. Most were taken care of promptly.

Front Desk staff is very good.

There is a Starbucks in the lobby, and the usual hotel buffet. We ate breakfast in the Sizzelin Cafe across the street, and liked it.

The hotel is several blocks from the main downtown area, but is an easy walk (not the best neighborhood).

They do not run a shuttle. Taxi $20-25 from the Airport, $10-15 to the train station

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Todd C, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beds and that any maintenance issues you may have experienced were taken care of promptly, I am especially pleased to know that our Front Desk staff was up to your standards.

Todd Capizzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
La Porte, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because our travel agent told us the wrong date when we arrived. Our window looked out over a grave yard. The only reason we stayed here was because of price. Only accepted because of price. Not a very well run property.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. I would like to learn more. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss further.

General manger
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

When I critique something I like to have a good basis of comparison. Writing this review is a bit more challenging than most because I really have no experience with other properties in Anchorage -this being my first time there. I will have to say that my experience with this Sheraton is different than any of my other stays with this chain.

I'll get my complaints out of the way first. Our room based on the size and amenities was overpriced. I can get a nice Ocean Front Room in Hawaii cheaper that what I paid here. But, if $400 /night is the going price for a decent room in this area of the world, then this must be taken into consideration. Too, I most often have my request honored at all SPG Hotels. My one big request was a quiet room which I did not receive.

I realize that quietness is perceived differently from one person to another. I have a real problem with most any type of noise when trying to sleep. Not so much the outside sounds like traffic, but rather guest loudly talking while moving down the halls or the proximity to the elevators where people tend to gather. Thank goodness that most of the guest were older and not quite as noisy as it could get at a beach resort or somewhere like Las Vegas. Yep - I got a room as close as you can get to the elevators (mini suite)...and, there was a phone table just outside my door. Although it wasn't unbearable, it probably would have been much better in a small room at the end of the hall -with little foot traffic.

The other negative I have is the lack of vending machines, stores, or fast food anywhere close by -to get a quick snack if coming in later in the evening. There is a small area behind the front desk with a very limited variety of food and drink items for sale .

That behind us and realizing that this could be the best bet in Anchorage -I really don't know! The staff was pleasant, service was good, the rooms were clean and comfortable. These are the type of things I have become to expect with a Sheraton. I will have to give thanks to housekeeping and a special mention to the Jade Steak and Seafood Restaurant for some very nice service. Although we did not really have a chance to try the dinner menu, Dave went out of his way to take care of us late in the evening a couple of times, and Gina was very gracious to us in the morning.

Anchorage does not seem to be a destination itself like many other places my wife and I have visited, but it was nice and glad we came. We pretty much saw everything we wanted to see in one day. But, I know that I may be missing something. There does appear to be much more to do if you take the train north or south, or do some "flightseeing".

Overall, it was a good trip, but just not quite what we expected.

Room Tip: All "Mini Suites" appear to be very close to the elevators. Although a little extra room...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I am so sorry that your room was not up to your expectations. We take the thoughts and comments of our SPG Member very seriously. We do our very best to accommodate all of our guest request when it comes to rooms being close together, higher or lower floors, view etc I am sorry that your room was not in a good location for you. I hope that if you are in Anchorage again you will give us another try. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your experience with us

Kirtland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Anchorage is a very cool place to visit. Lots to see & do. So the Sheraton matched our expectations. Clean rooms and good location However, the laundry was broken down when we arrived. Staff was not aware of it and they were not helpful with other suggestions. It was another traveler who tipped us off to a close Laundromat that we could walk to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Todd C, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Wow! We are delighted to get this feedback. Comments like that are exactly what we work for and hope for. That is the experience we hope all of our guest have. Thanks you for letting us know.
We look forward to seeing you on your next Adventure.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our second year staying here to jumpstart an Alaskan vacation. We used SPG points and were able to get a room with water views. Parking was comped due to our SPG status. The room was clean and well-appointed. We ordered room service on Friday as we were tired from 10 hours of traveling and the food was surprisingly good for hotel room service, especially the halibut bites. We'll return again next time we're in Alaska!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the water rather than the cemetery.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Todd C, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
The input from our SPG Members is very important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am delighted to know that our rooms and room service met with your approval. We can’t wait to have you back with us when next you are in Anchorage.

Pisa, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in Alaska high season. The price was tuned to high season in a comfortable hotel. The hotel was not tuned... the present status is disappointing, but the price is truly too high. Furniture, comfort level, noise level, all WRONG and not in line with the stiff rate. It is time to renovate or to drop the Sheraton label!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fgrabbits
Thank you for taking to let us know your impression of our property. You will be happy to know that that , this fall we are planning some wonderful renovations to our rooms. Including new chairs and new TVs.
I hope that you will give us the chance to show you our fresh new rooms next time you are in Anchorage

General Manger

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Valletta, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

When we arrived at the hotel at 9am we were told that check in was at 3 pm. That was acceptable ofcourse. When at 3:25 our rooms were not yet given to us and my husband was at the reception desk almost begging for our rooms as we had been traveling since 6 am, I decided to go to the desk to see what seemed to be the problem. I asked the girl behind the desk why couldn't she give us the keys to the 3 rooms that had been booked over three months prior to our arrival. Her name tag showed her name 'AMBER ' , she arrogantly replied " the rooms are not clean or do you expect me to clean rooms too !" I just could not believe my ears, neither did my husband and friend. I bluntly told Amber that she had an attitude. Well we ended up getting the 3 rooms at 3:40pm, my kids who were supposed to be be on the same floor ended up on the 7th floor whilst our room was on the 12th. Couldn't argue more as I was worn out. I'm still at the hotel and glad to be leaving tomorrow. I'll surely come back to anchorage but I'll never go to sheraton hotels again. I would never employ someone like Amber period, let alone in a reception desk !

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Todd C, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
First of all I want to apologize that you had a bad experience with us. There is no excuse whatsoever for rudeness from our staff. I hope that you know that we take your comments very seriously. I have spoken with my Management Team and this matter will be addressed. I understand that it is a very long flight to Anchorage from almost anywhere and that is a long time to wait to get to your room and relax.
Regarding your party being on separate floor, we try our very best to accommodate all guest requests, such as floor number, being close to each other, a specific view etc., but I am sure that you understand that we cannot not always accommodate every request.
I hope that in future trips to Anchorage you will give us the opportunity to make this right for you. I would love it if you would take the time to discuss this matter with me. Please feel free to contact the hotel and let me know what I can do for you.