“Very Impressed”

Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Bellingham, WA
“Very Impressed”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I had an afternoon meeting in Anchorage and stayed at the Rodeway Inn (previously known as "The Voyager Hotel". This is/was a small boutique hotel in the middle of the downtown, just minutes away (walking distance) from the convention center, and all of the eccentric downtown locations that Anchrage is known for. I've stayed here before it changed its name to the Rodeway inn and was very pleased to see that all of the nice features of this small hotel have remained intact. The rooms are very quiet from street noise and neighbor noise. The 15'x40' rooms are well laid out and have a comfortable king bed, large flatscreen TV, nice bathroom fixtures, small fridge, sink, microwave, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and coffee maker. Everything was CLEAN!! What a joy to find. No dust, no hairs, no stains, no smells. Room 109 was in immaculate order. The rooms have free wireless internet and a good working desk with outlets and good lighting. The room temperature was comfortable and everything mechanical (fridge only) was very quiet. The staff is friendly. The hotel also offers free shuttle service from the airport, something the old hotel did not offer. Overnight parking is free, but 24-hour parking costs $10. The only negative I would have to report is the "free breakfast" consists of convenience store quality sweet rolls and bagels with small tubs of packaged jams, coffee and juice and the "breakfast room" is barely large enough for 4 people to sit/stand. Step across the street to the Captain Cook hotel and buy a good breakfast. However, dispite this disappointment, i would certainly come back here and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: I've stayed in several of their rooms and all were good.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rick_On_The_Road

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here during a work trip and was definitely surprised with the cleanliness. From the pictures it does not look like a very appealing place, but it was actually quite nice. It's a very short walk to the Mall and to restraunts and the price was just right. The only issue I had was the at night, the room was really hot. I was there in the dead of winter and had my balcony door cracked open almost every night. My coworker had the same problem with her room and she stayed on a different floor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kim B
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

I visited Anchorage for a conference, and stayed at this hotel because of its location and price. It is easy walking distance to everything, including the Conference Center. Room was fine, not fancy, and always clean. Service staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is tiny, and there's no restaurant in the hotel; so be prepared to walk down 5th street a couple blocks for your meals. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank DancesWithTrout
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in May, could not ask for a better place to stay. The whole staff was very professional and went the extra mile to make sure everything was good.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank sullivan1972
Valdez, Alaska
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I always stay at the Voyager Inn when we drive in from Valdez. The location is great....close to downtown shopping, and the Alaska rate is very affordable. However, on the last night of our recent stay, we had a horrible experience. The people in the room next to us were obviously inebriated and extremely loud. At around midnight, my husband called the front desk to ask for help with the noise level. The night manager spoke to the guests and they became quiet for awhile. However, at 3:00 a.m. my husband had to call the front desk again since the yelling of obscenities had escalated and was getting louder. Despite being yelled at and called names, the night manager, Bo, attempted to subdue the guests. He finally had to resort to calling the police; the people in the room were not even registered for the room and had been dropped off their by relatives. Bo handled the situation in a very calm professional manner and should be commended for his assistance in resolving the problem.
My husband and I got very little sleep during the night and were faced with a long drive home the next day. When checking out, I discussed the situation with the Assistant Manager and inquired about the possibility of not being charged for the previous night's stay. He didn't even acknowledge my request and didn't express any concern about our negative experience. The only positive of aspect of our stay was Bo the night manager, otherwise it was the worst night's stay we have ever had in a hotel. Not sure if we will give this place another try even though we have stayed here many times before.

Room Tip: If you are an Alaska resident, always asked for the Alaska rate...usually around $78.00. Only offere...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kubina
Ft. Collins, CO
Reviewed 1 May 2012

During the first of many business travels to Anchorage that will last a week each, I planned carefully. I was offered a corporate rate at some hotels out by the airport, as low as $83/night, which is great for Alaska. Their reviews were typical: loud, dirty, poor customer service. So I opted to stay in downtown Anchorage, albeit a few miles away from my work location, but I regret nothing. Rodeway surprised me with exceptional customer service over the phone (and again in person). They gave me a rate near $100 (very competitive, for Alaska) and a large suite with kitchenette and full opening balcony doors (albeit no balcony). I was able to walk to a number of destination restaurants, including The Brewhouse, Snow Goose, and an excellent Thai Restaurant. I easily accessed the highway south to the airport and my office, as well as the highway north to The Valley (Palmer, Wasilla). Beware parking on the street costs money. Rodeway will give you a free nightly overnight pass, but between 9 and 5 you have to pay to park. Or they'll sell you a pass for 24 hour service. As I was working the entire week, the free pass was perfectly suitable.

My bathroom was clean and functional, carpet and bedding was clean, suitable, but not plush. Room was fresh, comfortable. Ask for a 3rd floor room for a decent view.

Directly across from the Rodeway, I paid $7 to use the outstanding gym at the Captain Cook Hotel, which was replete with a stunning array of tanning facilities, saunas, weights & cardio, and a shaving bar (no kidding, a row of sinks equipped w/shave gels, aftershaves, grooming products, complimentary).

I couldn't be happier with Rodeway, although I would suggest they improve their continental breakfast...it was pretty sparse, and the coffee was swill. But I was thrilled to learn the Rodeway is a Native owned business. I will eagerly book this hotel again (if I can afford it during the tourist season).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Edgetheow
Haverhill, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Very highly recommended. The location is excellent for events in downtown Anchorage. The room (109) was large, flat screen TV, lots of channels, fridge, microwave, comfortable beds, NO bed bugs, a very good bargain. The only negative for me was that the Continental Breakfast (complimentary) was lame. No big deal though, because you are a block or two from the Snow City Restaurant. We will definitely stay here again when we go back to Anchorage.

Room Tip: I was in 109. First floor. Close to the lobby. It was quiet and large.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple