“Service, Convenience and Good Value”
Review of The Voyager Inn

The Voyager Inn
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I was traveling with an 80 year old who needed extra help and understanding. The desk staff were helpful and good humored. Don't judge the hotel by the carpet in the lobby area (a bit tired) the rooms good sized, clean, modern and comfortable. They had a fridge/kitchenette. There is a laundry and the luggage scale was very useful for us. Aiport shuttle service for prompt and excellent. The breakfast provided was rather minimal but "Snow City Cafe" is 200yds away if you want more. Location is good and convenient to walk downtown. Seeing generally favorable reviews of this hotel and hearing poor reviews of others, I chose this hotel and I am glad I did. This hotel deserves your custom.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank whitefields

Reviewed 7 March 2010

This hotel is excellent for the traveler who is looking for comfortable, quiet, CLEAN (take this from someone who inspects the mattress before unpacking) and basic accommodations (not for the luxury seeker). The hotel is small (only four levels) and has an intimate inn-type feel to it, with a very friendly staff that was genuinely interested in the quality of our stay.

Our room included a kitchenette (microwave, sink and fridge). The staff provided a complimentary set of kitchenware (plates, silverware, cups, dish washing liquid, etc.) upon request (actually, we didn't even have to ask). Other features included free wireless with the password, a new memory foam top mattress, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. Our room was non-smoking and truly was non-smoking - there was absolutely no stale smokey residue. I love that the television was still an "old time" tube TV - saving landfills from piling up with perfectly working televisions and I especially love that the window/patio door did open.

The location is very convenient for walking to downtown restaurants, shops, galleries, the museum and the performing arts center (there are LOTS of great restaurants within short walking distance).

The lobby includes a very handy scale to weigh baggage, for those who are traveling by air. This will save you from repacking everything at the airport. Brilliant!

The only downside is parking. The only parking available is metered or pay-to-park lots. Be sure to ask about parking rates and budget that into your expenses. We were able to manage without paying for parking during our three day stay and received a complimentary parking pass from the hotel.

However, even considering the parking situation, I plan on staying at this hotel every time that I return to Anchorage, and I do visit about 2-4 times a year. I am an extreme fanatic about cleanliness and I was able to relax and enjoy myself with no worries.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Craftmobile
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Having stayed at this hotel over several years I was worried when it was purchased by Roadway Inns. I was worried that it would no longer be the hotel I came to love. So far that has not happened. Basically everything has remained the same. That may be because Megan is still at the desk and on the phone. She always make me feel like I am calling home. The hotel has remained friendly, comfortable and a good value. The location is so good in the heart of downtown Anchorage. Will continue to use it as my home away from home

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Valdez1
Reviewed 5 September 2009

To say this hotel is unpretentious is an understatement. The outside, the lobby and reception area are all plain Jane.

Then, you meet Meagan. She could not be more welcoming, more friendly nor more helpful. Anything we needed, she took care of it. Excellent restaurant recommendations.

The room is not fancy, but I've rarely seen a room (and bathroom) so clean. Spotless. Given other reviews, I looked for a smudge or spot or something. Nothing.

We had a room (410) overlooking a drab parking lot, but that made it very quiet. Within walking distance of everyplace in downtown.

My only criticism is the wireless never worked. Not in the room, not in the lobby.

If you are looking for a very clean, quiet stay with amazing personal attention, look no further.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VenturaTraveler13
Reviewed 23 August 2009

In this economy, I found myself really judging the Voyager with my pocket book than anything else. It is situated across the street from the prestigious Captain Cook Hotel and about half a mile from the Hilton. The Hilton, by the way, much closer than the Voyager to the train station if you have booked tickets on the Alaska rail. My qualms about the hotel really stem from the fact that it charges rates which are comparable with the other higher-end properties which offer more in terms of location, service and amenities. Yes, the hotel rooms are comfortable and clean. The bed with its memory foam matress was very comfy after a long day of sightseeing. It's just funny that we look at cleanliness and comfort as a "plus" with a hotel and not something which should already be a given. The "continental breakfast" offered at Voyager really is nonexistent. It consists of coffee sitting on a warmer in a corner of the lobby with a tray of sad-looking pastries. The narrow, dimly lit hallways have a damp, musty smell. These issues could be overlooked if the Voyager wasn't charging over $200 a night, but at these rates, there's nothing stopping me from exploring Anchorage's more luxurious options on another trip, or going for less expensive hotels which fall into the same 2 to 3 star category as Voyager.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OCKevin
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Stayed one night following a cruise. Hotel is relatively centrally located, staff was friendly and helpful. Room was pretty average at best. Another reviewer called it tired, which I think is a good descriptor. Super expensive for what it is, but that seems to be the going rate in Anchorage. Adequate, we were happy enough, but I would choose this mostly for price, not anything else. Seemed very accessible for wheelchairs, but we didn't actually need that.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank kjkToronto
Reviewed 15 November 2008

We stayed here on two separate occasions. You can walk to most downtown attractions and restaurants from this conveniently located 40 room hotel. Rooms are decent size, and most came with a kitchenette (frig., microwave, cups and sink). We were told that not all room has wireless internet access but the lobby does.

One of the rooms we stayed in has a sitting area where the couch could be pull out as an extra bed. Another room we stayed in was the ground floor handicapped room next to the coin-op Laundromat. It was fine. Noise level was much lower than expected. Because of the handicapped access, this room did not consist of a kitchenette nor an extra bed. However, we still got a sofa and a frig. Both beds in the rooms were comfortable enough for a decent night’s sleep.

Don’t count on their free breakfast, it is pathetic. Tea and coffee is okay but that is it. When you are in the room, keep the dead bolt on because one of their staff seems to be confused about which room is occupied and which is vacant. Don’t get us wrong, they are nice people and there’s no problem with theft but …

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TwoIdiots