“Pro: close to train station, Con: close to train station”

Comfort Inn Ship Creek
Ranked #30 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I realize that at times it's difficult to 'have your cake and eat it too'. We stayed for 2 nights, nice room, good breakfast and perfect location for those leaving early on train. Ship Creek is an interesting location, we got to experience the local tent market which featured many hand made crafts and some amazing wildlife photos from locals. My only caveat would be noise from train horns...all night. Friday night was bad but seemed to subside on Saturday night. One final thought, someone could probably make a good living opening a small 'all night' diner next door. We arrived late and the only convenient place to eat is a $45 buffet at The Bridge. We finished our travel snacks and called it a night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thank you for your compliments on Tripadvisor! We at Comfort Inn are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us even though you had a rough time with the noise from the train. I hope that even though there were passing trains in the night, you will think to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 10 June 2012

We started our land trip out and ended it in Anchorage and we chose Comfort Inn, Ship Creek for our stays there. Although it was not a five star resort, we found it to be very comfortable and convenient to the train station that we would need to get on to go to our ship embarkation in Whittier. We enjoyed the very ample breakfast that they provided each morning, saving us money from not having to eat out. They had an indoor pool and workout room and we loved coming back to the hotel in the evenings and having the smell of freshly baked, warm cookies greet us. Although it was early in the salmon season when we went, they do provide fishing poles for anyone wishing to try their hand at fishing on Ship Creek which is right in back of the hotel. Our room had a coffee maker, mini-frig and microwave also. We never noticed the trains at night and slept like babies and Aaron at the front desk was a big help in finding a pack-and- ship place for us and giving us good directions to get there as well as directions to some restaurants. Thank you! We definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for your generous comments on Tripadvisor! We here at Comfort Inn are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you had an amazing trip here in Alaska. We hope that you stay with us again sometime in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We started and ended our spring trip to Alaska at the Comfort Inn. One of the reasons we chose this hotel is its proximity to the Alaska Railroad, which we rode northbound and back, and it's also close to the weekend market. The service was very good-- we received helpful advice from hotel staff about top restaurants and dependable shuttle service to town and the airport. On a night when we were too tired to dine out, we consulted the hotel's list of restaurants for delivery and received a recommendation from the front desk. Compared to three other hotels we stayed in, this was the only hotel that had a pool and fitness room. The complimentary breakfast was handy and we appreciated its long service, 5-9 am. Overall, we found our stay at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank m3Chicago
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Thank you very much for you kind compliments about the Comfort Inn Ship Creek. The team here at Comfort works very hard to give the greatest service to our guests possible and we are very glad that you enjoyed yoursleft. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I agree with some others have said about this hotel.. It may be convenient to the rail terminal but I was here during the winter on busoness and the hotel is not close to anything. it is at the bottom is a hill and at times I was not sure the rental car was going to make it on the snow/ice.
The front desk folks are so uninterested in their jobs I could not believe it.
The internet had to be the worse...not just in the room, where i gave up, bu it was just as bad at the "business" termianl located in the lobby. Every web site was an "internet timeout" "could not retrieve the page". I waited until I got to a Starbucks to do any work.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank peter b
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Room was okay. Nothing special, nothing awful.

The location might be fine when the weather's better, but during the winter, being down at the bottom of a hill wasn't so fun with the snow-packed roads. I never got stuck, but it was a near thing.

And the internet was bad, not at all reliable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jane G
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that our guest internet was not working for you during your stay. We did receive more complaints about the efficiency about our internet system and since have upgraded to a much faster, more efficient system. We want to make sure that we do everything possible to make our guests have a pleasant stay with us. I do apologize about the road conditions though and unfortunately those are out of my control. Thank you again for your feedback as it can only help us improve.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

I came in on a late flight and was given an unbearably smelly room, room 106. Couldn't sleep and requested a room change at 3am. I moved across the hall and slept a few hours. Next morning I discovered that my coat, car keys and cell phone were gone, stolen from the first room while I slept. I had to call Hertz for replacement keys and nearly missed my interview that morning. The following morning there was no internet service and so I left to find another hotel in town. But I left my pillow in the room and called them at noon to see if they had it. Nope, it is also gone. I have replaced my coat, rental car, cell phone and bought a trac-phone while my new phone ships to my job site. I have not yet replaced my pillow, I still can't get over that fact that someone stole that. But it seems to indicate that the thief is an employee of the hotel. Management has taken no responsibility at all. I do not know who owns this hotel or I would write this letter to them.

Room Tip: Internet does not work, they may rob you blind, or like me, cause you to waste an additional day in...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Heather Y
Catherine B, Guest Services Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. I deeply apologize that your stay at this hotel was terrible and about all of the situations that had happen to you. I understand how frustrating this is and I would like to talk to you further about the situation. I apologize again for your negative experience and I hope you do not judge the entire company by this experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. I would like to resolve this situation. Thank you for your time and your feedback.

Catherine Bly
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I would hate for a first timer to stay here and have a bad FIRST TIME EXPERIENCE. People sneak their dogs in the rooms, dog hair was all over the top bed covers, sink was clogged, black mold was present in the restroom, in its beginning stages ( not to serious but enough to make it feel cheap, and uncomfortable) No light switches, just lamps, and my biggest pet peeve, was the walls and floors are paper thin, I could hear individuals on the third floor walking around as if they were having a river dance competition, and then the neighbor next to me could be heard all night on his phone. All these ingredients just creeped me out, I felt that this would be somebody would take a prostitue too. I have pictures of these issues and plan on turning them in, the one that put the icing on the cake was the awesome art work of nasal mucus that was put on the wall, and dried up. This room was purchased for a holiday party that I attended so i did not have to drive home, and I was still disgusted with this place. I would not pay 5 dollars to ever rent a room from this location. Please do not be fooled by the pictures that are posted on the websites, yes they are amazing but what really matters is your room. Good luck , and to any new visitors please do you research before a place like this ruines your Trip of a lifetime. Good Day !!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Joshua V

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. I am terribly embarrassed and deeply apologize for the horrific stay that you had at our property. The housekeeping issues especially have no excuses. It is because of these comments and comments from others that we have gotten a new Executive Housekeeper that is making great strides in correcting these problems and making sure that they never occur in the future. I can guarentee you that the issues that you encountered during your stay is not how we want to run this property and is not how we want to portray ourselves to incoming guests. We would love to discuss this further with you compensate you in some way as no guest should pay for what you encountered. Please call Catherine Bly the Guest Services Manager at the hotel and we would be happy to discuss this matter with you. Again I am terribly sorry for what you had to go through and thank you for your feedback as it can only help us improve how we operate the hotel.