Comfort Inn Ship Creek
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Econo Inn(Anchorage)
View Hotel
All reviewsulu factorytrain stationalaska railroadulu knifesalmon fishingbridge restaurantfree trolleyshuttle servicedowntown anchoragewithin walking distancethe breakfast areawalking pathyogurthotel shuttlecomplimentary breakfastmake your own wafflesnice breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We were booked into this hotel as part of our Alaska Railroad package. We booked and additional two days prior to that thinking that it would be more convenient to stay in a single hotel than changing hotels before our trip. The hotel looks fine from the outside and from the lobby but the rooms are really starting to get old.
We had a one bedroom suite on the side facing the front of the hotel. The room had a strong smell of cleaner when we checked in. After we opened the windows and aired it out we could begin to sense an unpleasant odour in the main living area of the room.
The walls were dinged up and the light switches were flithy with black stains all around the switch. A piece of plastic protective corner bead on one wall fell off when I lightly bumped it.
The room was clean...but old. The breakfasts was par at best with scrambled eggs and cold sausages. Some staff were good, others acted like you were distrubing them.
The hotel is located under a busy overpass. Trains run all day/night and blow there horns directly in front of the hotel.
They do bake some nice cookies every evening and put them out in the lobby.
We had booked and additional two nights at the end of our trip but cancelled them and stayed at another hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the side facing the creek.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you did not spend your additional two nights at our property but completely understand the reasoning. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future after our full property remodel in January 2013.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was completely taken back by how old the rooms were and the smell of room deodorizer they used was over powering. I initially thought I was getting a jacuzzi room after spending 30minutes trying to check into the room, but found I was booked into a regular room. I returned to the front desk and was given a room across the hall on the first floor. The room was hot & I had went to open the window, noticing the air conditioning next to the window I shut the window. The window did not lock & being a single woman on the first floor, I was scared. I then returned to the front desk & she placed me in a room on the 3rd floor. The smell of the room & the fact there was no place to order food after a late hour, I returned to the front desk & said I no longer want to stay at the hotel & would like a refund. I only stayed 30minutes and was told I was not going to be given a refund. I will never ever stay at a Choice Hotel again. The manager Catherine Bly was completely non accommodating & should probably rethink her choice of careers, she lack the skill it needed to be a Guest Service Manager...

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I would love to discuss these issues with you further and attempt to resolve the issues that you faced when staying at our hotel. I would ask that you please contact the hotel directly and ask for the General Manager and I would be happy to assist you. I greatly apologize for the inconveniences that you faced while at the Comfort Inn and hope that you will give us another chance to make it right. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Staff was friendly, and was the best part of the stay. Room was clean, but small. It is situated between 2 railroad tracks (passenger trains in front and freight behind). Train noise heard through the night. We had to call maintenance for a few issues (leaking toilet, sink stopcock broken, tripped circuit breaker when 2 family members used hair dryers at one time). These were taken care of promptly. A/C unit very noisy ( we had to turn it off to sleep). Breakfast included (adequate).

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We really appriciate you taking the time to leave feedback about our hotel as good or bad, it can always help us improve! I am glad to here that our staff took care of you while you were here and we hope that you can come visit us again after our full remodel this winter! Thank you!

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed on two separate occasions in July. The second stay was in a slightly nicer room on the third floor looking out over the creek. Both rooms were clean, roomy and pleasant, although the first had a residual cigarette smoke smell. We thought the complimentary breakfast was very good. Good location for walks along the creek and great restaurant next door (Riverside?). Short walk up-hill into downtown. Some railway noise. Used shuttle once and it was a bit slow but acceptable. All staff were pleasant.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We really appriciate you taking the time to leave feedback about our hotel and hope that we can have you as our guest again in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Made 2 reservations,one at the beginning of our vacation (1 night) and one at end(2nights).We were picked up promptly at airport.Was dropped off at car rental next morning.A couple staff weren't overly friendly ,but majority were.Breakfast was good.Rooms clean.Nice walk to shops and restuarants.Or we took Ulu shuttle to visitor center(up the hill),free ,just tip,and walked back down.Close to Anchorage weekend market,great entertainment watching the salmon fishermen in Ship creek right behind hotel,also nice trail behind hotel.Did not have any trouble getting back to airport with there shuttle.Train station across the road,never awakened by trains .Would definitely stay at or recommend this hotel.Price comparable to Alaska prices.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Comfort Inn and we hope to see you again in the future!