“Comfort, kindness, convenience”

Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
New York
“Comfort, kindness, convenience”
Reviewed 23 July 2008

This hotel was much more than I expected. It is clean, comfortable, and very conveniently located in downtown Anchorage. They have free shuttles to/from the airport, and a delicious breakfast included.
There is lots of shopping, dining, walking, and touristy things nearby, without feeling like you are in a total tourist pit. The Alaskan ULU factory is right next door, too, which was kind of cool. It is right across from the train station (which might bother some while sleeping. . .so ask for a river - facing room. The river is so awesome! There were lots of people fishing, catching huge salmon. . .we even saw the salmon as they made their ways upstream.
The staff was very kind and helpful, and I would DEFINITELY stay again.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank wedchic33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Cincinnati
Reviewed 3 June 2008

We stayed here and found the room to be average. We liked the closeness to the main Downtown Anchorage. Call the hotel for directions if you are driving. All on line map services left us driving in circles.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 31 May 2008

I stayed at this hotel in conjunction with a trip I had booked with the Alaska Railroad, and by far it was one of the best hotel stays I have ever had. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure everything was just the way I wanted it. I would definetly stay at this location again, and recommend it to others visiting Anchorage.

• Liked — Location, Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank jcf70816
TX
Reviewed 14 May 2008

This hotel was okay. It wasn't worth the money we payed for, though. We got better service at Fairfield Inn for less. The location is horrible. It is located next to the Ship Creek, and the Alaska Railroad Depot. You feel like you're located in the middle of a junkyard, and it made me feel uncomfortable.
The business center was located in a small, locked room that was so hot it felt like a sauna. The computer was outdated and so slow that I gave up trying to access my email account (I couldn't access my yahoo account).
I wouldn't stay there again.

• Liked — Pool was okay.
  • Disliked — business center -outdated, and slow computer in an extremely hot, closed room
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Palm Beach FL
Reviewed 18 April 2008

We booked the hotel directly although we quoted other website prices...which they beat. With AAA we paid a very fair price. You can request a creek-side room and a non-smoking room. The complimentary shuttle ride from the airport was great also. There was a wonderful seafood restaurant within walking distance. We watched many people doing some fly fishing in the creek. The hotel also had a complimentary deluxe breakfast. The rooms were very clean.
We chose this hotel because it was within walking distance to the Alaska Railroad Station. We had tickets to take the Alaska Railroad Scenic Rail Day Tour to Fox Island. Check in for the train was at 6:00am so we did that, walked back to the Comfort Inn for breakfast and returned to the depot for a 6:45 am departure.

• Liked — Location & Price
  • Disliked — I heard 1 train horn once, but no one else heard it.
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
austin texas 78701
Reviewed 25 March 2008

The best part of the whole trip. I have never stayed at any hotel that did every thing to make our stay perfect. No! It is not 5 star but the service was. For the price It is the best experience I have ever had. I hate to be a name dropper but Melody and Felix must have a bad back from bending over backwards for us. I read several shady reviews before I booked but since I had the points for a free stay I decided to bit the bullet and stay with them. We made sure to stay there as we came back before leaving Alaska. I will stay there any time I am up that way. The rooms with the really deep single jet tubs are just what I needed after a 12 hour travel nightmare.
PS: I do love 5 star hotels

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank G000travler
Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 6 March 2008

When we arrived at the Comfort Inn at 1:30am on Thursday, they only had one of our two rooms left. They "accidentally" sold one prior to our arrival and all other hotels in Anchorage were full because the start of the Iditarod was Saturday. We weren't real happy, but what could we do? Thank goodness the room had two beds or a couple of us would be sleeping in the lobby. The four of us are good friends and we were exhausted from flying all day so we piled in and zonked out. They discounted our rooms for the rest of the three nights about double what the second room would have cost us the first night to try to make us happy. In this day of computers I'm not exactly sure how you "accidentally" sell someone's room that had been reserved and guaranteed for 6 months. I'm willing to bet that if we hadn't showed up, we still would have been charged for two rooms.
The hotel was very convenient to the Alaska Railroad deport (walking distance), downtown Anchorage and the start of the Iditarod and the Fur Rondy (walking distance or hotel shuttle) and the snow sculpture competition was right across the street. They also had a shuttle to and from the airport. There were plenty of dining establishments nearby. It was an easy 1.5 hour drive to the official start of the Iditarod in Willow with moose viewing along the way.
The motel itself was your standard Comfort Inn with the standard waffles and bagels breakfast. The front desk, housekeepers and breakfast attendants were friendly and very appologetic when addressing our problem. Had it not been for the room problem, the Comfort Inn would have received an AVERAGE rating.

• Liked — Location and shuttle service
  • Disliked — Selling our room before we got there
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends