“As expected from comments”

Quality Suites Historic Downtown
Ranked #38 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel is well located in city center with easy walk to restaurants, etc. Rooms are comfortable and cleaned as well as promptly attended to. Breakfast has bacon and eggs, waffles and more; great for the Alaska cool days. Will be an easy return choice.

Room Tip: Ground floors have people walking past windows.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Golfhiker
QualitySuitesManager, Front Office Manager at Quality Suites Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed in Anchorage for 2 nights before going to Denali Park in September 2012. The hotel is downmarket and not great. Dated, in need of refurbishment and seemed to be hosting a significant number of social housing 'guests'. The rooms were large and clean enough so on that basis, for a couple of nights we put up with it, but it is a long way from being a good hotel or part of a luxury holiday package - which the rest of our trip to Alaska from the UK certainly was. Breakfast continued to make us feel that we were staying in a hostel. The food choice was poor, polystyrene cups and astonishingly, a few people mysteriously filling carrier bags and disappearing through rear doors! Anchorage isn't a large place and other hotels would be a better option.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy W

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights while on business in Anchorage. We found the front desk personnel friendly enough and the room was clean and large. However, this isn't the hotel for you if you're on your once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska. Overall, its decor is dated. The breakfast room is just plain sad, and there wasn't a single fresh item on the buffet the days I checked. Two of the three machines in the exercise room worked. The sign on the door between the exercise room and the indoor pool said the pool should have been open by mid-July but the note on the main door suggested the renovations wouldn't be complete until the end of July. There is no lounge, though it is easy enough to walk to restaurants and shopping in downtown Anchorage. My biggest complaint is that for this very average experience we paid over $200 a night. I know Anchorage is expensive, but you can find better for that price. If you are looking for a memorable time, by all means, visit Alaska. Just don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front may be quieter than the one we had in the back. On Friday night, I couldn't...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Scout1960

It was great of you to point out the positives you experienced while staying at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the things that were not to your liking during your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have stayed here a few times, its an ok hotel. we likeD it because we are a family of 5 and we could get 2 beds plus a pullout couch for our oldest..perfect...
But in a recent trip to Anchorage we went straight there, to check in as usual...only to be greeted by THE RUDEST young lady I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Let me try to list this in a way that you can understand my frustration...
1st of all they were charging more than I have EVER seen them charge, and I've come here in all seasons.
2nd, I have ALWAYS received an Alaska resident discount, its not a huge savings, but it makes me feel better about their prices.
3rd she tells me that the pool is out of service and there will be no adjustment to the price or anything for the inconvenience.
-At this point I made some calls to see if I could find a comparable hotel....I didn't....so I returned to the front desk to carry on with check in though I was thoroughly unhappy already.-
She then goes on to tell me that the only room she can ( or will at least) offer me is at the far end of the building and asks if that will be alright. I (confused) asked what difference that made besides a little longer walk to the room. She then proceeds to tell me that it is butted up to a bar and that people have been known to not get any sleep until the bar closes around 2-3 AM!!!!
Needless to say I left at this point...and will not return... There was also what appeared to be a manager nearby who did NOTHING to try to make me feel better about the situation but didn't have any trouble mumbling under his breath about me to the front desk worker when I was walking out. This is no way to keep customers, especially one that has been staying at your hotel 3-6 times a year....every year for nearly 8 years! Oh well, I'm happy to choose one of the other SEVERAL nice hotels in town that want my money and my business.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ak_sarah_style
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

At first my family and I loved the hotel. The person that checked us in cause a little distant and rude. She gave a bad vibe. When we entered the room it was nice, and we loved it. But then next day we left at 7am and returned at 12pm to find that our room was not clean and our air conditioner was busted. Of course we told the person at the main counter and they told us they'd get on it so we left and returned again at 5pm. Once again, our room was filthy & the air conditioner was not fixed so we asked them again to please fix it. We left until 8:30pm and when we returned to our room it was still not cleaned (thank god the air conditioner was fixed). So we called and they said that all the cleaners were not here and we asked if we could at least get clean towels. We were tired& wanted to watch a movie so we looked through our options. The menu they had was cheap & there was no option to buy the movie. So we called and they said they would call back. We never received towels, we never received a clean room, and we never recieved service. This please is terrible and I recommend it to no one. Save your money people.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Kimmy12352
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Having missed out on the lodge experience when we took our Princess cruise of Alaska, we went back recently and concentrated on just that. When not at the lodges, we stayed here. It was a VERY nice hotel. Rooms were quiet, the staff was especially helpful. Breakfast was good, and very comprehensive. We had had problems with our flight, and eventually lost an entire day of travel. Our agent rebooked us, but we had lost that better rate for booking so far ahead. However, when
we checked in, I spoke with the desk staff just to see if they were running
any specials that we might qualify for anyway. She asked to see our original booking, and then immediately honored it at a cost much lower
than we had been looking at paying. That flight (on United--beware of using them!!), was one of the most dysfunctional travel experiences we have ever had, and that made this all the nicer, as it was a good person helping out people who had really suffered due to someone else's disfunctionality. Truthfully, in some ways, this much more modern facility with its microwave and fridge and universally well-trained staff was
almost preferable as a hotel to the Princess Wilderness lodge-as-hotel was, although of course, staying by Denali is its own reward, ha ha!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LiveToTravelVI

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

The rooms were great. Lots of room. Good location. The breakfast had a nice selection. The pool was down for repairs but offered shuttle to another hotel pool.

The only problem was they billed us an extra night and when we tried to fix it they billed us again. The final amount that hit our account was staggering. It has taken several days to fix. It would have been nice to get an apology.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Traveling_DLo
QualitySuitesManager, Front Office Manager at Quality Suites Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.I hope you can accept my apology for the huge inconvenience you experienced regarding your billing. We would be honored if you gave us another chance on your next visit!