I stayed here for 5 nights in April. They run a 24 hour courtesy bus to/from the airport, which saves you getting a taxi, but you may have to wait 30 minutes after calling them for it to arrive.
The room I had was clean and comfortable, with a nice large flat screen TV and plenty of space including a desk chair for working on.
Breakfast is a simple buffet affair, with pre-packaged cerals, milk, yoghurt etc, plus some bagels and muffins, shiny green apples and bananas. There were two hot food options every day, but this always comprised scrambled eggs with something lese (usually pork sausage). There was also a waffle machine. It was disappointing to use plastic cutlery and paper plates, but understand the reasons why these are used.
There is a very small swimming pool which you can view from the reception area. It looks more the size of a splash pool, and anyone expecting to be able to swim lengths to keep fit might be disappointed, but it is perfect for familes and children.
Be aware that there is no restaurant or room service with this hotel, so you have to venture out to get food. There are some vending machines in reception serving both drinks and pre-packaged snacks. There are a few places nearby including an Outback steakhouse which was fine, but there are better places to eat in Anchorage.
The location is good for a midtown property (100 yards to the office I was working in), and easy to find and get to from most directions. Be aware that A street is one way, so use C street if heading south from the downtown area to get back to the hotel. Being close to the road, meant there was a bit of noise from the traffic at nights, but generally it was quiet enough to enjoy a great nights sleep. There is a cinema complex next door, though I didn't have time to explore it.
Although they advertise free internet access, I encountered many problems with it. First time connection is generally fine - you simply enter your name and press OK to accept the terms and conditions. However, the speed most of the time is very slow to the point of being frustrating. It is generally acceptable for webmail access, but most other interactive websites often take minutes to respond. Downloading a 5Mb presentation took almost 30 minutes, and this was at 4am (the joys of jet lag!) when mostly everyone else was asleep. Streaming content such as youtube would be painfully slow. Most of the problems are encountered when you have to renew the access when it expires after 24 hours. It doesn't automatically take you back to the login screen, and you have to connect/disconnect/re-connect a few times before it appears. After the 2nd day, I bookmarked the login screen in my browser which made much quicker. I wasn't the only one that encountered internet problems, as I heard a few people talking about it over breakfast.
The room also benefits from a microwave oven, sink, kettle and a filter coffee maker, which means that eaiting in would be a viable option for families.
Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, giving excellent advice on where to go in and around the city for shopping, eating out etc
The room was serviced every day to a high standard with fresh towels - no complaints at all.
The only other negative was that there always seemed to be at least one or two people (often staff) smokling at the entrance door, and you could get a lungful of smoke as you went in and out.
Overall, it's a decent enough place to stay at a reasonable price. It's not perfect, but you aren't paying 5 star prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a different kind of hotel with style and space, beautifully priced.Located in midtown, walking distance to shopping and entertainment. Featuring separate areas for sleeping, eating and working, SpringHill Suites provides guests with a microwave, mini-fridge, desk and pull-out sofa bed. Enjoy complimentary continental breakfast and airport shuttle, as well as pool, whirlpool, exercise room and wireless. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Anchorage Midtown Hotel Anchorage
- Anchorage Springhill Suites
- SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown Alaska