“The little hotel that couldn't”

SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 3 September 2014

This Springhill Suites location reminds me of the little train that could... but in this case, ultimately, couldn't.

The two great things this place has going for it are the employees and the location. Those are it! Anything I asked for/about, the staff was more than happy to help, and to go above what was required. The location is in walking distance to a Walmart where you can pick up forgotten items or get groceries or food. Oh yes... this location has free parking.

The room was ready when arrived. The air conditioning unit rattled incessantly; the toliet would not flush/drain. Thinking maybe this area doesn't have the water pressure I am used to, I didn't inform anyone. I decided to take a shower; the tub wasn't clean, but I just turned on the water and let the dirtiness go down the drain. Following this, I then hopped on the internet. The wireless seemed awfully slow, so I decided to use a wired connection. That didn't work-- following the wire, I found that the Ethernet cable had frayed and unconnected wires. I called down to the desk to request a new one, and promptly received one.

I then tried the internet. It was like a throwback to dial-up days. I couldn't believe it at all, so I took a screenshot (attached). I called the front desk agent again; when I explained the issue, she sighed and said it happens 'all the time'. Without even asking, she offered to take a certain amount off the bill.

For a hotel that usually charges 200.00 + per night, per room, I would expect things to be a bit more on top of things.

2  Thank cx20009
Lenora_Moses, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear CX20009,

First, thank-you for including SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown in your travel plans we certainly appreciate your patronage. Thank-you as well for reviewing our hotel, we are pleased you took the time.

I am sorry you had such a difficult time with the internet, it is frustrating when you are ready to sit down and relax (or work) and you find yourself more frustrated, it doesn't make for a pleasant evening. We have been working on improving our internet service for quite some time now, we are hoping they are able to repair what needs repairing sooner rather than later.

I also apologize for the state of your tub and am a little surprised as well. We have an excellent housekeeping staff, but, clearly dropped the ball on this one.

I am pleased to hear that our staff was accommodating, thank-you for mentioning them, they will be pleased to hear such positive comments.

Once again, I apologize for the problems you had with your stay, this is certainly not the way we would like to be remembered. I hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Great Stay. the breakfast was all we needed. Staff was very helpful. When we arrive and wanted a quick meal, they recommended an Outback across the street and end had a coupon for us to use. We had frozen fish and the staff allowed us to store the fish in their freezer which really helped keep our catch frozen until we flew home the next day.

Room Tip: Moose tooth is a good pizza place near the hotel. We also ate twice downtown at Humpy's and rea...
Reviewed 3 September 2014

Warm welcome to hotel and very helpful, courteous, friendly staff. Stayed one night. Comfortable room with great breakfast. Really enjoyed the stay. Staff did a scan for me. Used internet in lobby and printed what I needed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Our three night "pre-cruise" stay was very enjoyable. The front desk was always attentive, informative and responsive to all our questions about the area. Our two non-smoking rooms were clean and feels fresh. Comfortable bedding and linens. Breakfast was excellent. Our grandkids enjoyed the various menu choices as did the adults. The grandkids used the indoor pool. Again, clean and inviting. There was always hot coffee and hot chocolate available by the front desk and lollipops for the young-at-heart. Nearby is shopping, supermarket and even a multi-screen movie theater.

Would I stay there again? - Definitely.

1  Thank BCofOC
NMS-Lodging, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

Dear BCinLA,

Thank-you very much for the gracious review you left for SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown, we certainly appreciate all the kind words you offered to the staff.

I am very happy to see all of your family enjoyed different aspects of our hotel, we are pleased to learn you were able to keep everyone entertained both in the hotel and at all of the attractions we are within walking distance. We are at an ideal location if you have family with you.

Once again, thank-you for choosing our hotel, we are happy you enjoyed yourself.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

My family visited this property on August 14th, 2014. We arrived late after a very long trip from New York state. The staff was very helpful, especially getting us our breakfast ready for a very early departure in the morning. We loved the room, it was very comfortable! It was a wonderful first impression of Alaska!!!!!!

1  Thank KMKelly35

Dear KMKelly35,

Thank-you so much for your wonderful comments regarding my staff, they are pretty excellent aren't they.

I read your comments about them in a staff meeting we had recently, and they were so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and that you mentioned they prepared breakfast for you during your early departure. Thank-you, you made that particular meeting very positive for the staff.

Please accept my thanks to you for choosing SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown for your stay, we certainly appreciate your business, and we hope you choose our hotel again whenever you are in town.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

It was a typical and great Marriott experience. Check-in was very fast. room was large, clean and quiet. Somehow, the layout of the room was awkward - the TV stand was on one side of two beds, instead of the normal middle position. the breakfast was great. And again, the layout of the breakfast area was awkward - the area to fetch the food and the area eating was seperated by a tall wall and it looked over-crowd than it actual was. I am deducting one star simply because this layout problem.

1  Thank BlueHero

Dear Blue Hero,

First, allow me to thank-you for including SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown in your travel plans, we do appreciate your business very much. Second, thank-you for rating our hotel, it gives us a very good idea where our guest services can be improved, so we appreciate you taking the time.

We do have a bit of a layout problem here that we do our best to make the best of. Our SpringHill Suites is a former Fairfield Inn, so the rooms are not the typical SpringHill Suite. I am however happy that you did choose our hotel for your travels, and I hope the customer service you received met your expectations.

Thank-you again for choosing SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We spent one night here before driving down to Seward to board our Cruise ship, this hotel is very clean and very bright and open, lovely furnishings, great bed, very helpful staff, especially the lady who drives you to the airport or downtown!! very good location a large supermarket across the road and a huge cinema complex next door, bathroom plenty of room wifi is fast and easy, all in all i would go back again.

Room Tip: we had a room on the ground floor ( 127 ) close to laundry and back door for easy access to shops ac...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple