“A great value,friendly staff, and modern”

Residence Inn Anchorage Midtown
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A great value,friendly staff, and modern”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I've been to many a hotel, but this one is super nice. It's been updated. The exterior landscaping is beautiful, the rooms are very very nice. You get free breakfast, a cookie snack later in the day and an evening meal which varies day to day from fajitas, to baked potato night to tacos plus wine or beer for adults (yay!) The pool is great too. It's a savings unless you want to eat 3 meals out each day. We are here for 4 nights and enjoy it. We highly recommend especially for families.

Room Tip: We had the 2 bedroom room.gives some privacy for mom and dad. Both have their own bathrooms..major b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband, two teenagers, and I stayed at the Residence Inn Anchorage Midtown for 4 nights in June 2013. We used Marriott Rewards points for a two bedroom suite. The hotel was conveniently located and had free parking, complimentary Wi-Fi, and complimentary continental breakfast. The suite had two bedrooms with queen size beds, a pull-out sofa in the living room, and two bathrooms. With two teenagers, I loved having two bathrooms!

The complimentary continental breakfast was good consisting of the usual items: yogurts, cereals, assorted pastries, fruits, coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate, juice, etc.

I know the hotel offers evening social stuff, but we were too busy with sightseeing and other activities to take advantage of it. Overall, we had a nice stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were upgraded from studio to 1 bedroom. The hotel was completely full. It is in a neighborhood so not a lot of restauants very close. They did serve a light dinner free on Mon-Thurs. nights. Served sloppy joes, salad and fries with 2 alcoholic drinks on the night we were there. We opted to drive our rental car to a restaurant but many took advantage and seemed pleased. Our room was great. Clean and everything seemed new. The bed was comfortable. They do have an airport shuttle. I would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2013

the Staff was very nice to me and to my family. Customer service was excellent, every question and request we had was answered. When We got to our room it smelled clean and fresh and the rooms are well organized, it looks great. I spot I enjoyed the most is the pool.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The room was clean. The front desk staff was aloof and they were not sure who their manager was or who was in charge to speak with about safety concerns.The pool hand rail is a hazzard, there was black something dripping from above into the pool. Despite the posted open hours, the pool is closed each morning for maintenance, however they did not address the pool issues. The breakfast area had more staff in the lines than guests. I left after one night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Residence Inn Anchorage Midtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Hello –
I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to provide great service, but we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

We are in the process of updating all of our permanent pool signs for more accuracy, and the maintenance crew has addressed the ceiling drip and taken a look at the hand rail.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not satisfying. I don’t like to hear that a guest felt like a front desk associate was aloof or wasn’t sure if the general manager or the operations manager was in charge at the time, so we’ll be addressing that at once.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 7 July 2013

As noted by other reviewers, this is a property that has a good location but there does seem to be something that is not quite up to the usual Marriott standards. I stayed there for a week and the longer i stayed there the more low quality it appeared. The entrances were dirty, cigarette butts and trash was overflowing from the garbages. To see it on one day would indicate that perhaps there is a small issue you are willing to overlook but to see it repeatedly, you know that the staff just don't appear to care. The pool was closed for two days during the time period, as I was there with my kids, that just was not ok. Again, the excuse of it needing maintenance on one day is understandable, but twice or more and you have to wonder. A mystery to me is how they can close it for two days but completely miss the broken handrail...

Overall the rooms are to Marriott standards but the cleanliness left much to be desired. I made the mistake of looking behind a couch for my cell and found all kinds of things that housekeeping apparently didn't find worthy of picking up.

Another "odd" thing was what occurred on a holiday. The breakfast service was "limited". A note was put under the door full of broken english and misspelled words explaining that service would be limited due to the holiday. The rate was not reduced, just the service and meal service. This was not explained upon check in and the note didn't include anything approximating an apology.

On the positive side, the beds were very comfortable and the room was nice. The pool when open is nice.

This property is not one I can recommend. The management appears more interested in excuses to not perform than in actually living up to the expectations one would have for a Marriott property

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators... the elevators are not very logically located with some room...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WIAKtravaler
Hello –

First I would like to thank you for the feedback, and second please accept my sincere apology for those items that were just not right during your stay. I’ll be talking with the general manager right away regarding each item on your list. Our goal is to provide great service for our guests, and in your case that just didn’t happen.

Thanks again for your input; we’ll incorporate it into our training program.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I love the location. It's in the middle of everything, and the Moose's Tooth is less nearby. However, I was not satisfied with a few things at this hotel. I had a reservation for four days at this hotel at the government rate. My first two nights I stayed in a one bedroom suite at the government rate. I was told when I checked in that after two days I have to change rooms to a studio at the same government rate, and it is impossible for me to stay in the same room. In three years I have stayed at numerous Marriott Locations for over 100 times. This is the first time this has ever happened. Unfortunately, all of the good hotels in town were booked solid so I had no choice. It is a real inconvenience to change rooms, especially when your business meeting is at 8 am. and you can't check into your new room until 3 P.M. Subsequently, I had to pack up all of my belongings, and ask the hotel to store my suitcases in there utility closet. Also, when I received my bill for the first two nights, mysteriously 2 soft drinks appeared on my bill. This will be the first and last time I stay at this hotel. I will make it a point to stay at the Marriott downtown, where their customer service is first rate.

Room Tip: Double check your bill for accuracy
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TopekaTony
Hello –

Thank you for the feedback, and please accept my sincere apology. That certainly sounds like a lot of switching around and hassle that is not normal for guests of Residence Inn, so I’ll pass your comments on to the general manager so she can address it.