“Disappointing!”

Ranked #27 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here in September and was very disappointed. From the airport shuttle van's poor condition to the inattentiveness of staff, to the condition of the room and the property in general, this hotel did not live up to my expectations for this brand. As a platinum priority club member, I responded to the email solicitation to review the hotel by laying out the facts of my stay. Here's what IHG sent me back, "We are unable to post your review at this time due to irrelevant or inappropriate content. We would be glad to post your review once it has been revised to meet our guidelines. Click here to go directly to the hotel details page where you will be able to re-submit your amended review for approval." Needless to say, this provided further disappointment in that IHG didn't want to publish an honest account of this property's shortcomings.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank captainroberto
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Hello CaptainRoberto,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property not only on TripAdvisor, but also your attempt to submit a review to our brand website. I apologize that your review for our brand website was not published due to vulgar or inappropriate comments however you were given the opportunity to edit the language and still get your message across.

I apologize for the condition of our shuttle van during your stay in September, we were operating an older van when you picked you up from the airport as our regular van was under repair and we didn't want to interrupt this complimentary service.

I am running into difficulties trying to locate your reservation as these reviews are fairly anonymous, but I appreciate you bringing the inconveniences you experienced to my attention. I would have liked to have remedied the situation during you stay but was not given the chance as this is the first I've know of your issues,

Guest satisfaction is our ultimate goal. I invite you to contact me directly so that I can better understand the challenges you ran into and work with my crew to prevent future occurrences. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property and for your loyalty to the brand. I hope to hear from you soon.

tlewis@thehotelgroup.com
907-248-8848

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Anchorage

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our 18-day Alaska vacation. This is a nice clean hotel with all the amenities. They have self serve laundry facilities so I was able to pack all clean clothes for my flight home which was nice. I was able to get the government rate which made the price a little more reasonable. There are several restaurants and the Harley Davidson store within walking distance. All hotel employees were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KRB21
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our properties amenities and features. I will make sure to share your comments with the staff.

Thank you for staying with us during your Alaskan adventure. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Holiday Inn Express

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Husband and 2 kids stayed here for a recent sporting event as the room came up the best value on a bidding site. They reported the room clean,check in was easy and the staff friendly, the pool nice, and the breakfast was good- kids liked that pancake machine. Location provided easy access to main roads. Would stay again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JLH090
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Anchorage for your Anchorage accommodations. We appreciate your business and for reviewing our property on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that your family had an enjoyable experience during their recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Didn't expect anything special but was very pleasantly surprised. Service was very friendly -- I asked for early check-in and they made it happen no problem. Many hotels won't. The hotel and the room were clean and quiet and comfortable, everything worked and was in good condition. Had free internet, free breakfast and free parking, which are three things I look for in every hotel, because if they aren't free you end up paying a lot more. Close to airport. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are very happy that your stay was enjoyable and look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We booked this hotel on a website that only lists Star rating and price. We had stayed here in the past and were happy before.

We checked in at midnight, and unfortunately had to wait for another guest to check in and ask many, many, questions about the hotel and different services (strange since she was leaving at 4 AM that morning anyway, but I digress).

I think that the rooms have been renovated since we last stayed here and we were vey happy with the comfortable sitting chairs, the duvet and the HD TV. The only problem with our room was that one of the corner protectors on the wall had fallen off and was leaning in the closet. Not a problem, but just something that should have been fixed with a bit of glue.

Like I said above, we got in late from the airport late and were planning to leave early to shop before returning home to Seward after a trip 'outside'. When we checked in, it was late and we were glad to be put in room 210, the first room you pass after leaving the front desk - since it meant a short walk. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that this meant that everyone leaving the hotel would pass our door on their way out.

We started getting woken up by loud talking in the hall at 3:45 AM, and then about every 15-25 minutes thereafter until we finally got out of bed around 8 AM - not very rested. People weren't being obnoxious, but they were talking in a normal voice as they were walking out to the lobby at 0' Dark thirty in the early morning when they should have been more considerate. We heard people talking about their flights, their relatives, and even the government shutdown causing them to worry about their house payments! I don't think they were trying to be loud, but the door has a gap at the bottom and isn't very tight, so we could hear everything.

Like I said, the hotel is nice, but room 210 is inappropriate for normal use due to the noise. If we had to stay here again we would, just not in this room - we needed sleep and we got some, but not what we expected or really needed.

The breakfast bar was great and well stocked - I especially liked the pancake machine - never seen one of those before.

Keep up the good work, and if you need a storage room or an office for the Assistant Hotel Manager, just use room 210 and don't give it to guests unless every other room in the hotel is full!

Room Tip: Ask to be put at the end of the hall - it is worth the walk!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SewardAK
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very grateful that you were able to stay with us again on your journey home from "outside". I do apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay and will discuss ways of improving the experience for our future guests who stay in room 210.

Thank you again for sharing your comments. I look forward to your next visit!

Holiday Inn Express

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our plan was only to stay here for two nights before a bush flight to go fishing, but bad weather caused a lot of turmoil with our bush flight and we ended up staying another night unexpectedly. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly; they extended our stay on short notice, even keeping us in the same room so we didn't have to repack. The next day they extended our checkout time, put a reservation in the system to hold a room in case our flight was cancelled, and then pulled that reservation mid-afternoon when the weather cleared without penalty. It would have been entirely understandable if they had stuck strictly to checkout times and reservation policies, but their flexibility and customer service was outstanding. On the back end of our trip we ended up coming out early because of more bad weather moving into the area, and we ended up having to stay in a different hotel because they were full the first night; while they weren't able to refund the pre-paid reservation I'd made, they were able to credit it to another IHG property nearby, which was appreciated.

The property itself isn't the fanciest HIE I've ever stayed in, but it gets more than six months if year of what we'd call winter in the lower 48 so I wasn't expecting fancy. It also had the key amenities (WiFi, free breakfast, pool/hot tub), so we found the property to be fine overall.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am grateful that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be accommodating. I will make sure to share your comments with the team. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Easy access from airport with on site shuttle. Hotel was a little rugged, not the usual upscale that HIE's are known for...the manager was very gracious to find us a carton of milk at the late hour of check in. IIt reminded me of a college dorm somehow. Our room was ok, clean but the window looked out onto a neighbor's carport so kept the secure drapes pulled all the time. There were exit signs but we could not find an exit as we wanted to eat the first meal we'd had all day at the nearby Village Inn. The price was just so out of line with the product. I was disappointed in this hotel. Although I will reiterate the night clerks/manager was very helpful to arrange cab transport to the train station in the early am.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the upper floors to get away from having to pull the drapes to be comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SrTravelers3
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

I'm sorry to hear that your stay was less than perfect. I must apologize for the look of our airport shuttle van, our regular van is under repair at the moment so we are operating our old "back up" van until it is fixed. I will make sure to share your comments with the staff. Thank you for sharinig your experience. Its first hand guest experiences and comments from our guests that help us improve our operation. Thanks again!