“Exactly what we wanted” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Anchorage

Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
“Exactly what we wanted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here after arriving on a late flight into Anchorage. The shuttle service was prompt and friendly. The front desk was efficient and nice. The beds were warm and cozy. The breakfast was fine. It was exactly what we needed before heading out to another Alaska destination.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimpbrooks
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
I am so pleased that you found your recent stay to be "exactly what you wanted!" Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and comments with us. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Holiday Inn Express Anchorage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Homer, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage before, and remember having an awesome breakfast. This was the case again. However, we stayed in the "Whirlpool Suite" on the top floor, and my husband and I were NOT impressed. To us, a whirlpool should be large enough to accommodate two people - this was definitely not. It also wasn't very well designed - there was a knob on the wall opposite the tub that you had to turn in order for the jets to work. That meant that if you wanted to be in there with jets for longer than 30 minutes, you had to get out of the tub and turn the knob again. There was no shower near the whirlpool (so you had to walk through the room to get to the bathroom), and there was no way to watch tv from the whirlpool.

Lastly, the whirlpool was not clean. The tub itself was clean, but when we turned a knob to adjust the jets, dirt came oozing out from underneath. It made me want to throw up. There was dirt under the other knob as well, which is just unappetizing.

The room itself was nothing fancy - it was hard to get the room to cool down once it got warm, but with the right jiggling of the thermostat my husband finally figured it out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy J
Hello Amy J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am glad to hear that you found our breakfast to be satisfying. I do apologize for the condition of your Jacuzzi tub. I have alerted the housekeeping staff to ensure that the jets are not overlooked again.

Thank you again for sharing your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Right now I am on the phone trying to comfort my daughter that was staying at this hotel. Hotel staff opened the door for a stranger to enter her room at 2am. My daughter was awakened from a dead sleep by somebody touching her. I don't know if there is some criminal ring operating in this location or what but the local management is treating it like its no big deal. How is someone on your staff aiding in breaking into a guest's room no big deal unless they are aware of this behavior and condone it!? Holiday Inn Express corporate is refusing to help because she booked the room through Expedia. Why should this matter? Holiday Inn still gets paid for the room. Expedia is not responsible for hotel security. There is something shady about this whole place. If you have a reservation at the Holiday Inn Anchorage, for your own safety, cancel it. If you are considering booking a room here, reconsider. Sleeping on a city bus would be preferable over spending a night at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage.

• Stayed March 2014
6 Thank Vici K
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Vici K,

I completely understand your frustration and wonder if I was in your position, if I would be as kind in my review. I assure you that we are not running a "crime ring" and that a situation of this caliber is not taken lightly.

I feel that I would be insulting you to say this was an honest mistake because when it comes down to our promise to keep your daughter safe and secure-we failed. I assure you that this situation was fully investigated and the proper disciplinary action has been taken.

As I told your daughter when I called to personally check on her and apologize, I do not want to make any excuses but would like to explain exactly how this happened. I invite you to give me a call so we can discuss in detail.

Thank you for sharing your concerns and please rest assured that the appropriate measures have been taken to prevent future occurrences.

907-248-8848
Pittsburgh
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,300 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here one night because we couldn't catch a flight to Fairbanks until the next morning. We were looking for a moderately priced hotel that was convenient to the airport. The Holiday Inn Express was exactly what we were looking for.

Transport to and from the airport worked well and check-in was quick. The room was fairly new and very clean. The breakfast buffet was also very good and had pretty good variety - four hot dishes, very good cinnamon rolls and a variety of cereals, yogurt, breads, etc. The only negative issue, which wasn't a big deal for us, was that the hallway carpets were very dirty. It looked like they hadn't been swept in a week - kind of odd considering everything else was very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff K
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. I am so glad to hear that you found our facility to be "just what you wanted".

I will address the hallway carpet issue with our housekeeping staff to ensure that it is better maintained.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Anchorage.

McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a clean, friendly place to stay near the Anchorage Airport. We stayed for three nights, and found it a comfortable place, with a good breakfast buffet. Love the cinnamon rolls. Also got a good dinner recommendation from the receptionist.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Steve L
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and share your experience from your recent stay. I'm pleased to hear that you were comfortable and enjoyed our cinnamon rolls.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Western Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I got to the hotel around midnight. I was handed keys and was helped with my luggage to "my" room. I couldn't get the keys to work so I looked at the folder the keys were in. It appeared that the room number was 117 instead of 114 which I had been told. I went to that room, inserted the key and walked in to find someone sleeping in bed!

I went back to the front desk to get the keys replaced. Went back to the room and the keys wouldn't work again. Went back to the front desk, got the keys replaced a final time and was able to get in the room...with no one already sleeping in it.

The room was stuffy and appeared old and run down. Luckily, it was just an overnight stay.

I am a Platinum IHG member and would not recommend this property! The experience was horrible!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DWAGGS
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hello DWAggs,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and share the challenges you ran in to during your recent stay. I apologize for the issues you encountered at check in, the room key mix up is absolutely unacceptable regardless of what time it was.

As a platinum member of our rewards program we thank you for your loyalty and support of our hotels. Please rest assured that the appropriate steps have been taken to prevent situations of this nature in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Lynchburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here in September and was very disappointed. From the airport shuttle van's poor condition to the inattentiveness of staff, to the condition of the room and the property in general, this hotel did not live up to my expectations for this brand. As a platinum priority club member, I responded to the email solicitation to review the hotel by laying out the facts of my stay. Here's what IHG sent me back, "We are unable to post your review at this time due to irrelevant or inappropriate content. We would be glad to post your review once it has been revised to meet our guidelines. Click here to go directly to the hotel details page where you will be able to re-submit your amended review for approval." Needless to say, this provided further disappointment in that IHG didn't want to publish an honest account of this property's shortcomings.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank captainroberto
Hello CaptainRoberto,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property not only on TripAdvisor, but also your attempt to submit a review to our brand website. I apologize that your review for our brand website was not published due to vulgar or inappropriate comments however you were given the opportunity to edit the language and still get your message across.

I apologize for the condition of our shuttle van during your stay in September, we were operating an older van when you picked you up from the airport as our regular van was under repair and we didn't want to interrupt this complimentary service.

I am running into difficulties trying to locate your reservation as these reviews are fairly anonymous, but I appreciate you bringing the inconveniences you experienced to my attention. I would have liked to have remedied the situation during you stay but was not given the chance as this is the first I've know of your issues,

Guest satisfaction is our ultimate goal. I invite you to contact me directly so that I can better understand the challenges you ran into and work with my crew to prevent future occurrences. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property and for your loyalty to the brand. I hope to hear from you soon.

tlewis@thehotelgroup.com