“Excellent ! Convenient and comfortable”

Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 21 August 2014

A special shout out to Erica at the reception for being super accommodating and professional to our requests late at night !! We asked for a room change twice because it faced the parking lot and she complied without any hesitation.
We stayed at this hotel twice (1 night inbound and 1 night outbound) during our trip to Anchorage. In between, we stayed at the fancy Captain Cook for a conference but the HIE beat out Captain Cook hands down in every area except for its history, downtown location and views. The HIE hotel is a no fuss everything you would need is provided, kind of hotel. The location is super convenient. We arrived past midnight and got to the hotel in a rental car from the airport in less than 10 minutes. The rooms looked new and are very well designed and spacious. We liked the fact that there was a microwave and fridge in the room. The wifi . Parking is convenient. Breakfast hours are very convenient and the breakfast was satisfying. Some rooms face the parking lot at floor level which was an issue for us. Also, like everything else in Alaska during the tourist season, it is priced higher than we would have liked to pay. But to be fair, it was no more expensive than other comparable hotels. But other than that, what's not to like about this place ? Would definitely stay here again !!!

Room Tip: Room 146 is a good room that does not face a parking lot and has easy access to the exit if you have...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Hello MJwantstotravel,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed both your stays with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage. Its very rewarding to know that you found our staff services and accommodations comfortable and "fantastic". I'm sure Erika will be thrilled to learn that she made your stay that much more memorable.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express! We look forward to welcoming you the next time your adventures bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I like the HIExpress brand and am rarely disappointed. The location was perfect for an early morning flight from the city. All amenities, including a business center to print boarding passes. Friendly and courteous staff!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hello Geographer08,

I thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express for your Anchorage accommodations as well as sharing your recent experience with the world. I am very happy to hear that you had a "restful stay"!

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is typical HI-Express, which is exactly why we selected to stay here. Staff are friendly, accommodating. Cookies and milk in the evening! Close to the airport, shuttle for pick ups or drop offs at the airport and/or train station. Internet is slow...that is Alaska..all over. Google it..for real, slowest state by far!

Room Tip: You will hear airplanes. Keep the windows closed.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KLMMadison
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello KLMMadison,

Thank you so much for sharing your review of our property on TripAdvisor. My staff and I appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to see you again, the next time your travel plans bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here on two occasions and the overall service was great. The front desk persons were very helpful with directions, transportation help, recommendations of restaurants and attractions. On our second stay we had 80 pounds of frozen fish that that helped keep frozen until our plane left for home. Without this we could have lost it all with the delays. One last item, their breakfast each day was to die for. I have never stayed at any other Holiday Inn that had the selections and service that these folks did. Thank you for a memorable visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cmichaeld1
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hello Cmichaeld1,

80 lbs of fish! Wow! That's incredible. I happy to hear that we could keep it frozen while you enjoyed your last days in Alaska. Thank you for sharing your comments with us on Tripadvisor. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to my staff!

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express, we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your adventures bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We actually booked into another hotel, but due to some problems there, moved our reservations to the Holiday Inn Express on Spenard. I am So glad we did.

The location was close to rental car agencies, very close to the airport, and offered free shuttle service to both the rental car company and the hotel. From the moment we arrived we experienced friendly, efficient and professional service. The facility was clean, safe and comfortable, though parking got a bit crowded on 4th of July weekend.

The complimentary breakfast was above average hotel fare and the dining area was clean and comfortable.

Housekeeping left us alone when we didn't want to be disturbed or didn't wish to have the room serviced, and was very good when we wanted it cleaned. They were also very friendly - a nice plus.

The laundry facilities were minimal 2 washers, 2 dryers (1 out of service while were there). I would Strongly encourage adding another stack as there were 4 guests vying for the facilities.

All in all, a great stay, and I would absolutely stay here again on future visits.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TheDocIsOut

Hello TheDocIsOut,

I am happy to hear that your recent stay was memorable. I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us on Tripadvisor. I'll make sure to pass on your kind words to the staff.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express, we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed one night at this Holiday Inn Express. Nice room with a King size bed and a good workable desk. The internet was a bit slow but we adapted. The location makes for very easy travel from this hotel to the airport via the hotels shuttle. No issues of any kind and we very much enjoyed the breakfast. The breakfast staff was first rate.

Room Tip: Sign up for the shuttle early to insure you have a spot.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tim K
Hie A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello Tim K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to share your comments with my staff, especially our "first rate" breakfast hostesses!

Thank you again!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have always wanted to drive to Alaska, and finally did so this month. I decided to stay three nights at the HI Express Anchorage. I had actually arrived a few hours early at around 10:30 AM. I asked Larissa at the desk if I could check in early. She wasn't sure if there was a room available that early, but after looking in the system, she found one. After two plus days of driving from Seattle, it was very nice of her to make sure I had a room.

Before I explain the room, I must say this is the most awkwardly designed HI Express I have stayed in. The hotel is built in a hill, so the main entrance and lobby is actually on the second floor. The dining area is just to the left, the business center is in a room to a side, with two computers. This room is very well decorated, like a ski or hunting lodge, a good fit for the area. Anchorage starts to get rural and scenic not far from the hotel. It can and has been used for a small meeting area, since I don't believe there are conference rooms for rent.

The main elevator is in the hall, but the only problem is it seems to be wedged in here. There is no extra area for people waiting, luggage, etc. I can see how this can cause a problem with the flow of traffic, but I never had an issue. There is also another elevator near the end of the long hall. Rooms are on three floors spread across a long and snaking hallway, something I usually see in hotels built in the 1970s. The pool and exercise room are on the first floor, far different than most hotels which hold them on the same floor as the lobby.

The room itself is very spacious, typical of the suites I have been renting recently. The fridge is in an odd area, below the TV in a cabinet. The bathroom door is very cramped, right next to the room door. In fact, if you aren't careful, you could smack the doors together, not a good thing. Bathroom itself is fine though.

TV is adequate, as well as bed. The room window actually opens, something I rarely see these days. That's a great feature since it was in the high 60s-low 70s during the day and 50s at night. Too warm for heat, but usually too cold for AC.

I had to fly to Barrow for the night right after I checked out, and asked if I could store my car for a day and take the shuttle to the airport. They had no problem with this. Still had to take a cab to get back, but far cheaper than airport parking, I appreciate that, especially since I wasn't a guest anymore.

Price seemed a bit high even for Anchorage, but I dealt with it. It is much cheaper in winter, when fewer people travel.

Overall, despite all of the quirks, this is a great hotel in beautiful Anchorage. I would stay again of my travels ever take me back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Keith B

Hello Keith B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am very impressed with all the detail you put into your comments and thank you for your candid feedback! I will make sure to share your comments with my staff especially, Larissa- I'm sure she will be proud to know that she made your stay that much more comfortable.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Anchorage! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your adventures bring you to Anchorage.