“Nothing Spectacular in this Anchorage Marriott”

Courtyard Anchorage Airport
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Tampa, Florida
“Nothing Spectacular in this Anchorage Marriott”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

This Marriott in Anchorage was nothing spectacular, but it wasn't terrible. It was my first night in Anchorage and I still was not adjusted to the time change so, while I slept fine, I woke up at 4 in the morning. The location was fantastic in relation to the airport. I was only staying one night, and all I needed was to get to the airport, but if you plan on going into Downtown Anchorage do not stay here. Also, the breakfast sandwiches they serve are not very good. I recommend eating outside the hotel. All around, it's just an average hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nick M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Seattle
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The quality of the rooms are fair but they definately need an upgrade. You can tell they recently renovated however they seem to have missed alot of the details. The window shades leave something to be desired and the bedding/pillows are pretty hard. The television is constantly going in and out and doesn't have access to any premium channels.

It has a workout room but again nothing entertainment wise functions correctly. The TVs and workout screens all are broken or fuzzy. Aside from the running machines and bikes, they don't have any other equipment.

There is a pool, hot tub and sauna. I didn't use any of the ammenities.

The staff is poor and doesn't seem to really care what you request. On one occasion I came home from work at 4AM and asked not to be disturbed the next morning. They seemed to miss that when housekeeping came in at 8AM. I also ordered a coffee one morning and was greeted by an employee who definately didn't want to be there. On another occasion I saw the food counter open went and waited to order. As I was waiting, another employee came to the counter. The employee stopped what she was doing and responded to the other employee (not me). After having an extended conversation, the employee behind the counter turned to me and said that she wasn't open.

Overall, I wasn't impressed by this hotel. I definately wouldn't have continued my stay had my work not have been paying for it.

Room Tip: Go to the Sheraton downtown.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Brodie N
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Courtyard Anchorage Airport, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Hello -
I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to provide great service and great rooms, but we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

We have recently renovated the entire first floor (adding The Bistro, Lounge, GoBoard® and media pods) and the guest rooms are scheduled for the next renovation the fall of 2014 (a six-year cycle). New televisions are scheduled to be added to every room this summer, and our maintenance manager is on site now testing all the fitness entertainment systems for repair. The Bistro is open for breakfast and dinner. We have the hours posted in a countertop sign holder, but we are finding it’s not as visible as we need it to be. We are looking into hanging something from the ceiling. Certainly the associate should have let you know earlier that the restaurant was closed, there’s no excuse for that.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not satisfying. I don’t like to hear that a guest felt like a front desk associate didn’t care about a request, so we’ll be addressing that at once.

It is hard to get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future.

Thanks.

Shelley
Director of Marketing
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Looks like they renovated the lobby but havent gotten around to the guest rooms yet. The hotel is clean and comfortable, but the room-darkening curtain in my room (which faces west) had a whole bunch of pin-sized holes in it. So as the sun was setting at around 10:30pm local, the light was definitely filtering through and keeping me awake. Still, I think this is a perfectly adequate hotel. Water pressure in the shower was really good. Front desk staff was very friendly and offered many suggestions for places to eat. The only real cons (aside from the curtain) is extremely slow internet, and only a handful of television channels.

Stayed May 2013
New York
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed here for two nights before a cruise. The hotel is clean, spacious and includes good amenities for the price. Opting for a senior rate on the Marriott website, we receive an extremely competitive rate. In addition the rate, we decided with this hotel because of the airport shuttle services, free wifi and spacious rooms.

After getting off the plane, we used the courtesy phone at the airport for a direct line to the hotel. Within ten minutes of our request, the Marriott Courtyard shuttle appeared and whisked us to the hotel. Check in was smooth and the rooms are standard courtyard style rooms. No complaints as they are standard, and didnt expect anything. There's a coffee maker in the room, as well as a microwave and empty fridge. You can find breakfast, lunch and dinner options in the lobby "restaurant", but be mindful of the opening hours. There's also a bar with Alaskan beers on tap.

We opted to eat at the hotel one of the nights, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. The pizza and flatbreads were just not good; however, the caesar chicken wrap and the halibut was delicious. iN particular, the halibut was outstanding. Couldnt believe it. There was a very nice Filipina server who was particularly hospitable.

Be mindful that you do hear some of the morning traffic outside in the mornings if you are in an outside facing room. Courtyard facing rooms are more quiet. All in all a good stay for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderluster123
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The hotel was very nice, and the location was perfect for us to drop our rental car off at 4AM for a super early departure. There are a good number of restaurants and grocery stores nearby. The hotel staff were so helpful giving us directions for nearby businesses. Very nice and pleasant at 4 in the morning, too, as we checked out.

The room was compact, very nicely decorated, and had all the amenities. There was a small balcony door which we opened to get some brisk Alaska air in the room. The bed was so comfortable.

Our sleep quality was not so great because, unusual for the Marriott, the walls to the room were so thin that we could hear neighbors on the left and the right side laughing and talking through the walls, the baby crying, practically everything both as we tried to fall asleep and when we woke up early in the morning. I imagine that they too could hear us as our alarms went off, and we got dressed, packed, and left the room. I was very surprised to have experienced that at a Marriott brand hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Kodiak, Alaska
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stay at the Courtyard at the Anchorage airport when we have a late arrival and an early departure because it is close and we earn Marriott points. We have often been a bit frustrated by how long we have to wait for the shuttle late at night, especially when it is cold. It is not the fault of the hotel, but the waiting area for hotel shuttles at the airport is totally exposed with no shelter from the elements and no other option for waiting if you do not want to miss your hotel shuttle as it drives past. But, the last two times we have stayed at the Courtyard, we have had to call twice and wait a minimum of 30 minutes before getting a ride. On our last stay, the night desk clerk wrote down the wrong room number, and we never received our wake up call. It is difficult to understand why they use a hand written system when most hotels have something automated. Fortunately, we woke up in time and made our flight. A few other little things were amiss, but we do not want to get picky by detailing all of that. The price is reasonable during the winter time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Courtyard Anchorage Airport, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at the Courtyard Anchorage Airport. We always appreciate hearing about specific hotel experiences that don’t meet expectations, so that we can use them as part of our training program. We hope to see you in the future.

Shelley
Director of Marketing
minneapolis/saint paul
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I got on the wrong shuttle at the airport. I was pretty well convinced I was staying here but I wasn't. The staff was great at figuring it out, getting me off to my own hotel and just being cool in general. Somehow they never made me feel foolish, which is impressive. The decor was really nice and the staff was wonderful, I'd stay there next time I'm in town! It also looked like a nice place to get a drink in the evening.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family