“Just your average airport hotel”

Courtyard Anchorage Airport
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Nashville, Tennessee
“Just your average airport hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My family and I spent one night, July 3, at the Courtyard Marriott Anchorage Airport at the beginning of our 10-day tour of Alaska. There were 7 of us in our group and this hotel fit our needs for a place to stay the afternoon of our arrival in Alaska.

The rooms were clean and well-furnished. The service was friendly and efficient. There are no sights to see near this hotel, nor many dining options other than a couple of fast food places. With a free airport shuttle, staying here is convenient for arrival from or departure to the airport, but otherwise doesn’t have much to offer for vacationers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were a group of four with two rooms reserved independently at the Courtyard Anchorage Airport for the night of July 4th with a late arrival credit card guarantee.

We arrived at about 12 midnight and were greeted by Ruth. I was informed that my reservation had been canceled and I no longer had reservations. My friends were also told that there were no rooms left.

I asked for clarification and was told that a party of five had checked in under my name and that a second reservation under my name was canceled. I asked who canceled the reservation and was told that a Marriott desk person by the name of Maria had done so at 900PM. i replied that this made no sense since I was in the air on a plane at that time.

Finally, the desk clerk relented and gave us two rooms. Strange since there were no rooms only minutes before. Seems like they enjoy taunting their customers.

My theory is simply that the hotel resold reservations at a higher rate instead of honoring reservations. This does not bode well for people making reservations at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lawrence C
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at Courtyard Anchorage Airport, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Hello –
I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our inventory management missed the mark on that day. Please accept my sincere apology.

I’m checking with the hotel manager now to see if there are any additional details on the double booking and cancellation of your reservation in order to sort that out.

As far as rooms becoming instantly available, during the busy summer months all hotels slightly overbook to accommodate for the usual last-minute cancellations. On rare occasions when everyone who booked a room shows up, we all have to walk guests to alternate nearby hotels. That is most likely what was planned to free up two rooms for you. I can assure you that we do not cancel reservations to re-book rooms at a higher rate.

Shelley
Director of Marketing
Chino, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We just stayed overnight between flights. We were put in a ground floor facing the parking lot, just off the front desk. The mattress was EXTREMELY hard. The coffee cups were demitasse size (extremely small). I like to stay at Marriott's and am a Silver Card holder. I was really disappointed. I won't be back to this Marriott.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I've visited the Last Frontier during the blistering winters, the vibrant springs and the Courtyard was always received us in a warmly manner. The lounge area has a beautiful fireplace and the shuttle service staff went the extra mile to drop us off at some great eats only found in Anchorage. I highly recommend a window seat reservation at Simon and Seafort's- a magnificent panoramic view awaits you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed here on two separate stays during our Alaska vacation. The airport shuttle came promptly both times. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable. The bistro was a pleasant surprise. They have many healthy food selections and the food was good quality. We ate there for breakfast and dinner on both stays. The menu is somewhat limited but they do have additional items that are not on the posted menus for some reason. We also used the laundry facilities with no problems. Enjoyed the nice garden outside our first floor window. The price seems high, but when you compare it to other hotels in Anchorage, the price is pretty good. Alaska is expensive! I would definitely stay here again if I find myself in Anchorage again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gardnermanker
Rancho Cordova, California
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This hotel looks very nice. The interiors have been recently updated, and our room was generously sized, clean, and appealing to the eye. I'd requested all foam bedding beforehand, and I only found one feather pillow in the bedding when we arrived, which is pretty good.
However, this was probably the worst service I've ever received at a hotel. As it was happening, I kept on trying to look on the bright side and ignore it because we had our two little kiddos with us and a long day of travel ahead of us, but once we were home it started to sink in that this was a *seriously terrible* hotel experience.
At check in, we planned to ask the front desk staff for restaurant suggestions. But the man who checked us in was terse (although not rude) and practically shooed us away as he handed us our room key. I tried to cut in to ask about restaurants, but he'd moved on to the next customer. Not a huge deal, but surprising for an upper-level hotel.
At about 10:30pm, I woke up to the smell of burned popcorn in our room. Moments later, the fire alarm went off. My husband and I quickly grabbed our two small (and screaming) children and hurried to the stairway. We were near the middle of the 3rd (top) floor. Exiting our room the smell of smoke was strong, and by the time we'd turned the corner to the last stretch before the stairs, the smoke was visible as well. My theory about burned popcorn disappeared because it seemed way too smoky for that. It got thicker as we went down the stairs, and by the last stretch I was wishing I'd brought a towel to put over my daughter's face. The group of us that exited there into the parking lot assumed that a hotel employee would come tell us what to do. After 5 or 10 minutes, we gave up and walked the long walk around to the front entrance. There the front desk staff laughed it off and said was just burned popcorn and that we could go back to our rooms. I was carrying a 40-lb 4-year-old (we hadn't taken the time to get her shoes, for obvious reasons), and my husband was holding our crying and confused two-year-old, and they neither apologized nor gave any real reassurance that there were no problems. Thankfully, the firefighters in the hall did assure is that it was safe to return to our room (I knew that at least they would feel responsible for our well being even if the front desk staff didn't seem concerned). The firefighters brought in some sort of fan to help air the smoke out, but it was still very smoky at least in our side of the hotel--we'd had our fan and a/c and heat off, but when we got back to our room it was too smoky to be able to fall asleep. Eventually, with the window open and a towel shoved along the bottom of the door to keep the smoke from the hallway from coming in as readily, it lessened enough for us to go to sleep.
The next morning, I realized that since we'd had to use a towel under the door, we were short a towel for bathing. I called housekeeping and got a voicemail message (which I thought strange). I left a message explaining that we'd like another towel, but no towel arrived, and even 4 hours after that message was left we'd still not gotten either a call back or a towel. Our kids are small, and we were able to have them share one, but we *should* have been able to get a towel.
Due to the somewhat sleepless night and towel-delay (at first we just waited for half an hour, before giving up), we decided to bail on our breakfast plans and eat at the hotel restaurant. TERRIBLE DECISION. The overhead menu said to ask for a children's menu, so we did, but the gal behind the counter didn't know where to find it and had to find the chef (?) for help. Then she didn't know how to place orders from the kids menu, so we had to wait for help again. Then she didn't include the strawberries I'd said we wanted to order at least 5 times during the ordering process. And the receipt they give out is not itemized, so there was no way to know that it had not been included until they didn't arrive. My husband had to go back up, wait in line again, and have her look up the transaction to determine that they hadn't been ordered. At this point, many restaurants would have given them to us for free, but that wasn't offered. Just a few minutes after we'd gotten our order problem cleared up, I heard the table next to us have the same sort of problem with something having been left off their order. The food was fairly expensive, and fairly terrible. If you must eat there, I strongly recommend you avoid the scrambled eggs. I didn't expect them to be good, but they were inedible. The toast was also inedible, which I don't think I've experienced before. My husband had fried eggs, which looked more normal, and one of our kids had the french toast, which looked a lot like the school cafeteria stuff but at least it was edible. The strawberries were by far the best thing ($5 for a container, and better than anything else we had).
So, as I said in the title--the design and furnishings were really nice, but the quality of the staff was really, really unfortunate. I would not recommend staying there unless you are *very* low maintenance and I would not recommend eating there under any circumstances.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JF_in_Cali
Hello –

I recently received a copy of your review. Our goal is to provide great rooms AND service, but we fell short on the latter during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

Thank you for your detailed feedback; it makes it easy to incorporate it into our training program.

Shelley
Director of Marketing
Alva, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here because I got it at no cost using airline frequent flier miles--if I had to pay their price, I would have stayed elsewhere. The airport shuttle was prompt for our late-night arrival, the room was clean and well prepared, the staff was friendly and helpful. At the prices they charge, I expected breakfast to be included but no deal. This is Alaska so I expected everything to be expensive and in that respect, the food at breakfast was pricey. (There is an excellent Mexican food place right next door at the end of the parking lot}. We stayed two nights and then headed for the cruise terminal in Whittier.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple