“Great Gift Shop!”

Ranked #1 of 58 Coffee & Tea in Anchorage
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

From the moment we stepped into The Kobuk - Cafe and Old Fashioned Gift Emporium our senses were filled with sweet, spicy, exotic fragrance of their Samovar Tea. When I finally was able to move beyond the allure of the tea, I found a wonderful and unique gift shop with something for everyone. The building is one of the oldest buildings in Anchorage - was originally a family owned mercantile and is still full of the historic remnants of earlier times. There is a cafe/bakery in the back which used to be part of the living quarters of the original owning family. I felt like I was in a museum as much as in a gift shop. I would go back again and again. Hope you enjoy too!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Kobuk Coffee Company smells incredible! Even if you have no interest in Coffee or (their delicious) tea, you should stop by to see all the quirky souvenirs. It also has a wide range of foreign candy for adults and children.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our family has a weakness for old-fashioned donuts and this recommended visit did not disappoint us! The coffee and tea was excellent, the gift shop was worth an hour of fun browsing time and the clientele was interesting. This is an Anchorage classic with lots of character. I am so glad we finally stopped after many walks past. The only problem is the late hour of opening (10 am). I NEED my coffee fix before this and that makes it inconvenient. If you can wait for your fix or are looking for a second cup, don't miss this unique spot!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Every trip I make to Anchorage finds me in this shop. I love the Samovar tea, the coffee and tea selections and the shelves of jars of bulk candy. It reminds me of a simpler time. The coffee/pastry shoppe in the back has some very tasty selections I recommend trying one (or 3) and the staff is always friendly and helpful. The selection of merchandise and souviners are lovely as well. I love browsing here over the other massive shops in town for souvenirs plus you get a much different selection of items than you see in every other shop in town. If you'd like a charming experience while in Anchorage, you must stop in.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Everyone is right, the samovar tea ROCKS! Free samples at the front of the store. Lots of unique candy - had only read of violet pastilles in old books - found them here! (Yes, tastes as weird as you'd think, but not unpleasant.) Ate lunch in their small dining room twice, as their sandwiches are quite reasonably priced for Anchorage in summer, and extremely tasty. I was less impressed with the scone I ordered. It was more like a slightly sweet biscuit than a scone. Lots of beautiful tea and coffee paraphanalia that is about as pricey as you would expect from a souvenir shop, and prettier than I've seen in most tea stores. If you prefer Victorian to Asian style, you will love this place.