“Never Again!”

Ranked #1 of 58 Coffee & Tea in Anchorage
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have been buying my favorite tea at Kobuk for years since I moved downtown and had even recommended the place to others. Those days are gone.
Coming from doing my weekly TV spot at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts, I stopped into the Kobuk to use their restroom right at closing time. As I left the restroom, I was searching for the light switch to turn off the light when I noticed a large bearded man standing in the center of the room glaring at me. "Don't worry about the light," he growled and took a step toward me.
Wishing to avoid a violent confrontation with this guy, I went to front of the store to warn the shop keeper about this threatening character in the back.
She said, "Oh, he's one of the owners. He can be a little gruff."
I said, "Gruff? He was trying to pick a fight with me."
She said nothing, so I informed her that even though I had been patronizing this store and even recommending it to tourists and others, I would NEVER be back.
She still said nothing, so I take it that this was not the first time this bully had chased a customer off.
Needless to say, I now buy my tea elsewhere and warn people about the bully at the Kobuk.

3  Thank Holmstrom

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This quaint little donut & coffee shop is hidden in the back of a historic old department store -now gift shop. We enjoyed fresh cranberry scones in what had been the family living quarters.The gift shop was brimming with interesting gifts.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The drinks were amazing so matter what you chose. There is also a gift shop on one end so it makes for a nice stop. We came here every day for a drink or to relax while waiting for tours or figuring out our next plan.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Where else can a couple have a soda, a coffee and 2 old fashioned donuts for $4.00. This place is great. The donuts were amazing and fresh out of the oven. You have to walk thru a little gift shop to find the place but it is sooooo worth it.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We were only in Anchorage for three days, but I visited this bakery all three days. It's tucked away at the back of a lovely gift shop on the corner of Fifth Avenue and E Street on one of the Town Square's corners. You have to go through the gift shop to get to the bakery.

They bake everything fresh in-house and not only does the stuff taste great, the prices are wonderful. My favorite is the crueler donut with a lovely subtle glaze -- only $1. My mouth waters right now thinking about it! I ate three in a row one day.

They also have good cookies and cake. I tried the Boston Crème cake and it was so moist and yummy. I didn't try the sandwiches, but if the pastry is any indication, it must be good. I would highly recommend a visit to the Kobuk bakery. I went to one other bakery in downtown Anchorage (before I discovered Kobuk) and it was not half as good, but was lots more expensive. Don't bother going elsewhere -- go to Kobuk and eat a donut for me (:

p.s. They have really unique cute gifts inside the front part of the gift store too.