“Nice park system”
Review of Anchorage

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Denver, Colorado
34 helpful votes
“Nice park system”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We did not spend a great deal of time in Anchorage except before and after our flights. The city has a nice park system along Cook Inlet and several attractions to visit such as the Alaska Native Culture Center. Finding things was somewhat difficult and we were not impressed with the restaurants we tried. Anchorage is a good place to jump off from for a visit to the Kenai Peninsula which we highly recommend.

San Diego, California
2 helpful votes
“Good times in Anchorage”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Really liked the town. Lots of flowers and Lake Hood air museum was pretty cool as was the largest seaplane airport. Stayed at the Doubletree and thought it was a good hotel for the area. Had trouble with a tour operator, Alaska Bush Safari Company. I would not recommend this operator and if you do utilize, make sure you book with a credit card so if you have any problems, you can get your money back. This was the worst part of the trip.

Downtown area has a lot of nice shops and resturants. We had a great time hanging out at night/day really. Overall had a great time except for our encounter with the tour operator. If you are headed to Seward, Paul with the magic bus company is the only way to go!

2 Thank alindiabeach
Orange County, CA
112 helpful votes
“Alaska Bush Safari Company...Buyer beware!”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We gave Alaska Bush Safari a $875 deposit for a 10 hour trip and they never showed up. Now, they will not return our deposit. The owner Joe claims that the weather was a factor. There was no weather and we ended up having to spend the morning looking for another operator because all of the planes at the lake were out flying...bad weather...don't think so.

We ended up finding another operator to take us out to a fishing camp for the day. Not what we expected or paid for. Very slick website but we got taken and still cannot get our deposit back. Buyer beware.

Kevin

4 Thank travelerOrangeCounty
Ireland
32 helpful votes
“Anchorage - gateway to adventure”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

The small float plane passed almost directly overhead, then banked round in a circle as the pilot turned to get a better look at us, before landing on the river in front of our camp. He taxied to shore about 50 yards upstream. Climbing out of the cockpit carrying an anchor and length of rope, he secured his Super Cub to the river bank. He was wearing a gun on his hip and a badge on his chest. This was a visit from the law - Alaskan style.
You expect to, and do see, bears, bald eagles, caribou, moose and beaver out here in the empty vastness of this great North American wilderness. What you don't expect to see is not a laughing, nor sleeping, but flying policeman. But then Alaska is like that - full of surprises and totally unpredictable.
The State Trooper wanted to see our fishing licences. We produced the paperwork and he wrote down the details in his notebook.
This particular member of the flying squad is employed full-time looking after fish and game. He spends hours in the air patrolling what must surely be one of the biggest, remotest and most staggeringly beautiful beats in the world of law enforcement.
Anglers, he admitted, rarely give him any trouble. Even the meanest of them doesn't begrudge the paltry $80 licence fee to indulge in the best sport fishing on the planet.
Having checked our documents the law officer stood up and headed for his plane. It would take him 80 minutes to fly back home to Bethel, where he would join his wife and their two sons, one a baby less than a week old, in time for tea. As the Super Cub rose into a sunny, blue sky we all agreed that this State Trooper had probably the best job in the world.
The ripples from the float plane's take off had barely disappeared before we were back on the river bank, fishing rods in hand, casting our flies at the shoals of passing salmon. Within minutes the Indians and their problems were forgotten as we lost ourselves in battle with chum, pink and silver salmon. That is why we had travelled half way around the world. For us that was what it was all about.
This was my fourth fishing expedition to Alaska and my second to the Kanektok. It was the same river as two years ago, but completely different. It still rose at Kagati Lake but in winter the Kanektok freezes over and is buried under up to 20 feet of snow. In early May the thaw sends a growling monster of a glacier down the river valley. It sweeps all before it, scything down trees and gouging a new course for itself through rock, mud and gravel.
We had arrived in Anchorage on the evening of July 11, and after shopping for the food that would keep us going over the next 12 days we boarded a jet for the town of Dillingham on Bristol Bay. This is red salmon central. The rivers here are home to tens of millions of them, returning to their native streams to complete their destiny by spawning and dying.
Many never complete their amazing life cycle. They are intercepted by fishermen's nets, taken to the large cannery in Dillingham, put in tins, wrapped in a John West label and transported to Europe where they are stacked high on supermarket shelves.
Like the salmon we were simply passing through Dillingham. We chartered a Beaver float plane from the reliable Tikchick Airventrues and loaded two rafts, camping equipment, food, clothes and as much beer as the 1,200 pound payload would allow. Then we scrambled onboard for the 45 minute flight to Kagati Lake. There we disembarked, unloaded our gear, inflated our rubber rafts and set off on the 92 mile journey downstream to Quinahagk. We camped on the bank by night, floated gently along the river by day and enjoyed some of the most varied and exciting game fishing on earth.
Water levels in the Kanektok were low; much lower than on my previous visit. We were told the lack of winter snow was to blame. No-one could tell us where the blame lay for the lack of red salmon. We caught a few dozen between the four of us during our trip but in a good year I have landed that number myself in just one day. We kept one salmon to eat. The remainder we released gently back into the water alive to continue their spawning migration
The red is just one of five species of salmon running the Kanektok in mid-July. We caught dozens of pinks, the occasional silver and fought pugnacious chums until are arms ached. And as we drifted down river graceful grayling, colourful char, willing dolly varden and wild, acrobatic rainbow trout provided thrilling sport.
I had one brief encounter with a mighty king, the largest species of Pacific salmon, but my light fly-rod was no match for him as the line burned off my reel before snapping at the hook. We learned that one angler fishing out of one of several lodges on the lower river had landed a king weighing 56 pounds!
The superb fishing is the principal reason why most people come out here and brave the weather and the mosquitoes but there is much more to a float trip down the Kanektok than landing salmon after salmon. The scenery is awe inspiring and the wildlife, especially the bears, fascinating. It is also not without an element of danger. Most people are accompanied by professional guides but we choose to go it alone, having learned the rudiments of rafting and been made aware of the risks through our experiences on previous trips. The Kanektok is not a difficult river to raft, there is no white water as such, but it moves swiftly along and you never know what might lie around the next bend. It is all too easy for a raft to get sucked under one of the fallen trees that litter the river or impaled on a large rock in the shallows. The rafts are not easy to manoeuvre so it requires constant vigilance from the man at the oars to spot the dangers well in advance, pick his course and take evasive action where necessary.
Alaska's climate is changing. The Kanektok did not get its normal winter snow fall and the summer temperatures were unusually high. The once dependable salmon runs have become wildly unpredictable. While the Kanektok got a much smaller number of reds than usual this year the Kenai, 120 miles south of Anchorage, was over-run by 3,000,000 of them.
If you want to savour the best trout and salmon fishing in the world, to step into a wildlife adventure in one of the last great wildernesses on earth, then my advice is to go now, before its too late. The clock may also be ticking for the other inhabitants of this great land that is Alaska.

California
11 helpful votes
“ABC motorhomes rents JUNK!”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Aug 2010, my family and I rented a motorhome from ABC, The trip itself was a fantastic experience, I recommend seeing Alaska in a motorhome. JUST DON"T USE ABC!!!!!

Customer service is horrible! They say they have total satisfaction and it's guaranteed. That's not true!

During my 8 day trip, I had a a full septic/black water tank upon pick up. The fresh water holding tank leak to the outside and created a puddle by the entry/exit door to step in each time. If the motorhome was on a grade or slant, it leaked into the motorhome and onto the floor from under the cabinets. Had the clean up water on the floor once. The roof leaked in at least two places. One of the leaks soaked all of our clean towels and sweatshirts which were stored in the cabinets above the rear bed. The other leak was a major leak in the roof of the bathroom. It soaked our towels hanging on the shower curtain bar and drained into the tub(Thank goodness) and filled our holding tank as it drained from the tub.

The MAJOR problem was the heater, which stopped working after the 2nd night! My wife and two small children were cold during the nights!!!!!!!!!! I called reference all these problems and spoke with technician. reference the heater not working, he gave me a number to call for repair. The repairman was unable to repair my motorhome until the next day. AND he wanted me to drive over 80 miles to him for the repair. That would have been a 160 mile turnaround and a loss of 2 days of my vacation!!!!!!!! I am sorry but I was not going to do that!

There were some other problems also, but these were the major problems I encounter with the equipment.

It may seem like I was nitpicking, but I really am not a complainer, but this was over the top.

CUSTOMER SERVICE - HORRIBLE!

When I returned the RV, I spoke with the representative who met me at the return area. I told him about the issues and he told me to go speak with the manager inside. So, I did! She didn't listen to me and cut me off as I was explaining the problems to her. She stopped me and asked if I had told the representative outside all the problems. I told her I had and she said, "ok is there anything else I can do for you?" She turned and walked away after giving me my receipt.

I walked out of there kind of dumb founded.

I did not even get "I am sorry" from her.

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Learn from my issues and rent from another company. There are many to choose from.

REMEMBER! You get what you pay for!

With the motorhome problems aside. The trip was FANTASTIC! Beautiful country!

9 Thank Poidog1969

Been to Anchorage? Share your experiences!