“Not Worth the Time”
Review of Anchorage

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Austin, Texas
9 helpful votes
“Not Worth the Time”
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I visited Anchorage at the end of an Alaskan cruise, at some expense and hassle compared to just having done a round trip to Vancouver or Seattle. I would not do it again. Anchorage was just, well, boring. Now, that said, if you have a few days and can get out into nature, there was some beautiful nature around the city. Here are some things to do...

- Have lunch in Girdwood. The town is about 30 miles out of Anchorage, and the drive through the mountains is gorgeous. We ate at Chair Five - the food was pretty good (nothing special) and the atmosphere was fun.

- Go to Earthquake Park and moose watch. The park is right by the airport, so you can kill some time waiting for one of the few flights back to the Lower 48.

One thing not to do is sit around the airport. It really is a boring little airport, and just enhances the depressing feel of Anchorage.

2 Thank rickyaciii
OKC
71 helpful votes
“Like Hawaii in the summer”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I spent 3 weeks in Anchorage, or some of it. Went all over AK.
Anchorage in June has flowers, flowering trees, just green everywhere. Berries growing on the sides of the mountains. The almost 24 hours of sunlight is what makes it so special as well.

The park and trail system is maybe the best in the country. Just be careful not to get between a mose and it's calf, or a momma bear and it's cub. There was a mauling to a trail biker when I was there, so beware!

There are multiple great resturants and be sure a eat the Halibut, heaven on earth. Go to Humpies DT. Don't miss the King Crab either. The food is not that expensive , I would almost call the food
a bargain in most places.

My biggest complaint is it's just so expensive. Fortunately, I had friends that put me up after the first week. Car rentals and hotels $$$

2 Thank Brian K
Chattanooga, TN
43 helpful votes
“Alaskan Leopard Comedy Shuttle”
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We took the Alaskan Leopard Comedy Shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage on August 16th. We were not sure exactly what to expect. They have gotten good reviews on this site before so we decided to try them because their price was so great. We were not disappointed at all. They stopped at the Conservation Center so we could look around there for an hour and see all of the wildlife or browse the gift shop. The driver then took most of us to the different hotels we were staying at so we didn't need to be dropped at the airport and then schlep our bags to the hotel shuttle.

Yes, the comedy is really super cheesy, but it was more fun than just getting the nature lecture by a monotone taped voice or nothing at all. It was a lot better than paying $75 per person to take the shuttle that Princess offers. He was on time and very courteous to us. I would take that shuttle again if I needed to.

1 Thank artsygirl6270
Michigan
5 helpful votes
“Breath taking views.”
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Everyone should go at least once. But that will never be enough. Enjoy this pristine land before it is too commercial. Something for everyone. Whale watches, fishing, hiking, wildlife, scenery. Too amazing to describe. Enjoy at least 1-2 weeks there.

1 Thank MichiganShelly
Praha
21 helpful votes
“Anchorage - incredible city”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

If you are planing to visit Alaska, you will arrive to the biggest city in the Alaska - Anchorage. This city is different from another big cities. This city has a special magic. The atmosphere is unforgettable. I know this city only during the summer time, when is full of tourist and is really very lovely. But during the Winter time this city has a special magic. I recommed you to visit this interesting place.

1 Thank DitaM

Been to Anchorage? Share your experiences!