“Caveat Emptor, Wheelchair bound guest beware.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau de Pizay

Chateau de Pizay
geneva
“Caveat Emptor, Wheelchair bound guest beware.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

Please note my review is written as a handicapped person stuck in a wheelchair. The Chateau de Pizay, is a member of the Chateaux Demeures Hotels et Grandes Etapes des Vignobles and, as such, displays in the Groups's annual booklet a series of symbols showing the facilties on offer by the various entries. Among them is the international sign for a Wheelchair. As a side issue I have 3 times written to Tripadvisor suggesting that they have a separate section for places with Handicap facilities. I have never had a reply. To make things easier for them, I would suggest that like all the Hotels in the above Guide, the Tripadvisor simply adds the traditional wheelchair logo for any relevant comments by Tripadvisor members.
Because the description of the Chateau de Pizay contained the wheelchair logo, I decided to pay a visit with my wife. As a precaution I phoned well in advance to check the facility and made a booking.
After quite a bit of confusion about availability that changed with each of 3 ladies I spoker to, it was done.
The beginning of ther trip was not a good augury as the directions were misleading and Pizay was not originally mentioned. When I remarked on this at Reception they admitted several guasts had had similar problems. Next a young girl took us to our room. When my wife went in she said I would have a problem with the toilet entrance. She tried it out with my wheelchair and the closet was extremely narrow. I could get in but it was a squeeze keeping one's arms away from the walls especially near the WC's toilet roll. The next morning compounded the access difficulty. The bathroom had obviously never been planned for a wheelchair.user. The wash basin and its surrounds were extended ending with a drop down shelf (like the letter "L"). Net result there was no room for a wheelchair to fit under the apron. Without telescopic arms I could not shave And was only able to do my essential ablutions by sitting sideways with a towel on my lap. Most unsatifactory.

As a result of a series of little niggles I felt even more discomforted. First of all, despite the current publicity, the Chateau is no longer a Hotel du Silence as it now caters largely for corporate bookings for the new conferece facilities, This had a commensurate effect on the speed of bar and waiter service. The restaurant was not as luxurious as its menu indicated. More peculiar, like an old-fashioned sex discrimination, each time my wife was presented with a menu that did not show the actual prices. Which could well cause some embarrassment on occasion. It understandly irritated my professional working wife. Next, in order tio try it out, I ordered the local house produced wine called: Red Beaujolais. At the end when presented with the bill, I noticed I had been charged for a different higher priced wine. When I remonstrated, the waiter calmly said "well for 4 Euros more etc, you got a much better wine!" Finall insult, to use the modest Spa for up to 2 hours you had to pay 42 Euros. My wife refused and chse our large bath, Despite being a 4 Star luxury category, there was no regular Internet service despite its promise in the brochure..

In short a most disappointing experience. Ther so-called Handicap faciolities would not have passed muster with any Inspector from the UK's Trade Description Act. As I wrote Caveat Emptor especially when in a wheelchair otherwise you risk having an awkward physical occurrence!

Room Tip: For the best rooms choose one in the courtyard in front of the Chateau's entrance. The remainin...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nibor14Geneva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stayed two nights at the Ch de Pizay to celebrate my wife's birthday. We arrive on Saturday afternoon and had to wait a while for our room to be ready. When we asked to make a reservation for dinner, we were told the restaurant was full and handed a list of local restaurants. I asked to speak to the manager, who took 30 minutes to appear. I explained as patiently as I could (not very!) that in a hotel of this quality one does not expect to have to make advance reservations to eat and b) that this was not made clear on the booking confirmation. After a certain amount of grief, she said, would we mind eating early, at say 19.30. No problem, we said (given that we were intending to eat at 8 anyway). Our room was very comfortable (in the converted buildings by the drive on the way to the hotel). We dined, and had an excellent meal in the restaurant, where they made quite a fuss of us, including a special birthday desert for my wife. But the curious thing was, when we left the restaurant at about 21.15, there were several empy tables, where no-one had showed up. What's going on? Anyway, we had booked to dine the following evening, and I had said to my wife that on the basis of the previous evening's meal, I was surprised they hadn't got a Michelin star. We found out why on Sunday evening. Starters were fine, but the mains a disaster. My wife had monkfish steamed and wrapped in an envelope of very finely sliced courgette. Lovely; but it was sitting in a huge puddle of squid ink, which completely overpowered the dish. Similarly my very nicely cooked piece of venison was sitting in a lake of horribly over-acidulated sauce. We gave up and skipped desert.

So.. the Chateau is beautifully situated amidst vineyards (and the vendange was just starting when we were there, so it was very atmospheric), and there is a well thought our short trail through then vines with English and French boards along the way explaining in a very entertaining way how the life of a vineyard works. And there is a delightfully maintained topiary garden with lush herbaceous borders.

But the restaurant is up and down at best, and the whole thing about restaurant reservations seems designed to hack people off who have probably made the Chateau a special destination (as we did) - and are paying top whack for the rooms. A mystery.

As an aside, we spent the weekend tootling around the Beaujolais, and saw quite a few jolly looking hotels in places like Julienas - so there are alternatives! Unless you're happy to eat elsewhere or take pot luck in the restaurant, I couldn't honestly recommend the Chateau.

Room Tip: Ask for the converted building at the front of the Chateau, by the drive, or a room in the old build...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank food_enthusiast666
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

A jaw dropping approach to a lovely main building set amongst its own vineyards and a large formal garden. My room was a large duplex with patio doors opening onto an area leading to a swimming and tennis courts. I had booked around lunchtime on the day I arrived and took a demi-pension package for 207 euros, which included wine and coffee. The menu for the package was more limited but excellent. WiFi was quite ineffective in the room and main hotel areas during the evening but recovered in the morning. The receptionist was very helpful in allowing use of hotel computers for me to make onward bookings. So a little pricey but very good.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed two days.. Beautiful setting good for quiet getaway. Gorgeous chateau, unfortunately we were relegated to some 70's looking outbuilding, not worth $1,000 night we paid for 2 dated looking rooms that were too hot. Showed up after 6 hour drive from Cannes, told we needed dinner reservations - we booked 6 months in advance and they did not accommodate us. A true disappointment.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Chateau a couple of weeks ago to partake in a family celebration. We arrived early (about 11am) and no room was available yet - no problem we said, didn't expect differently and with the assurance there will be a room at 2pm we went for a nice walk in the surrounding countryside (vineyards as far as the eye reaches). So far so good. Unfortunately the room was not available at 2pm and we had to get ready for the celebrations in a family member's room. We returned much later and were handed the keys to our room which, to our disappointment, was not located in the main building, where rooms are full of character and charm but located in the 'modern' outhouse which lacks both.
So if you stay, make sure you request a room in the chateau itself and be prepared to pay a lot for the room and any little extra. not worth the trip and in no way in relation to the cost of the room.

Room Tip: go for the main building and steer clear of the 'modern' extension
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Do not stay at this hotel.

The pictures look lovely, but the wonderful castle that you see has not a single bedroom inside. It is instead full of conference facilities, with the bedrooms situated in a modern cinderblock bungalow next door. This was the first sign that the owners of Pizay must be crazy.

We stayed with a large group of approximately 40 people, taking over a large proportion of the hotel. We ordered at great cost a banquet outside in the courtyard with roast suckling pigs to be prepared on an open fire. What we got was boiled pork served from the kitchen. Their excuse, that they thought it woudl rain. In fact, there had not been a cloud in the sky all day, and i believe they never had any intention of delivering what we had paid for. Vegetarians in our party were also brought asparagus wrapped in bacon.

The staff were inattentive and incompetant, with one English speaker in the entire place. For a group of this size, perhaps they might have changed the rota accordingly. The final straw was when the hotel took an anauthorised four figure payment from my account to cover "extras" before sending me the invoice. I have brought this to the attention of the bank who are recovering the funds with the help of my lawyer.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Topher_Thompson
Lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Have stayed here three times now, first two was passing through heading south but the most recent a deliberate trip to stay there for a few nights

The location is stunning in the middle of the burgandy and beujolais vineyards, this is a working chateau producing magnificent morgon and beajolais. The main bulding is grand and very well kept with stunning grounds and the wing to the rear has rooms which comprise a lounge area with bedroom mezzanine above, with pool to the rear

The restaurant is very typically french and very good indeed.....the biggest cheese trolly I have ever seen, and the wine list is as you would expect

The place has a great feel to it and is worth stopping off or making a special journey to see

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Jean-d'Ardieres
Georges Blanc Parc & Spa
Auberge du Paradis
Auberge du Paradis
#1 of 1 in Saint-Amour-Bellevue
Carrion Cuisine Hotel and Spa

Been to Chateau de Pizay? Share your experiences!