“Delicious food, beautiful old chateaux but with modern bedrooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau de Pizay

Chateau de Pizay
Godstone, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, beautiful old chateaux but with modern bedrooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here for one night at the start of our holiday. The main building is lovely, an old chateaux. Our room was nice (split level) and in any other hotel we would have been really happy, but because the main building is old, a modern room just doesn't feel right. The bar area is a mix of old and new, which works really well and the dining room is split into different sections which gives it a more intimate feel. Our meal was delicious, the portions just right & very tasty and I had a wonderful soufflé to finish. The service was good but not exceptional. Breakfast is a buffet in the modern part of the hotel, I thought the buffet was extensive and well presented. The hotel has a pool, spa and tennis courts but we didn't use them. We did wander round the gardens and the vineyards which were very pleasant. We stayed the last weekend of September and the hotel appeared to be full.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Talk about curb appeal, this gorgeous property certainly has it in spades with its tree-lined driveway, topiary garden, outdoor restaurant, and setting amid the vineyards. Unfortunately the guest rooms and amenities do not live up to visuals. The bed linens, duvets, and pillows are synthetic. Our room was a split level affair with the bed upstairs but the air conditioner unit was downstairs and hence combined with the poor linens, I was relegated to sleeping on the couch downstairs. The restaurant claims to always be fully booked and yet there are empty tables as other herein have observed. The WiFi although included is pathetically slow. This property could be so much better if they paid attention to some of the details. As it is currently configured, I can't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cshackle72
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We have been using this hotel for many years, usually using it as an overnight stop over on our way from London, UK, to the South of France, and vice versa. The hotel is in beautiful countryside in the heart of Beaujolais wine country with its own vineyard. The food does justice to the reputation of Lyon as the gastronomic centre of French cuisine. The rooms are a duplex and nicely presented. We have little hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed June 2013
Nyon District, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel for its location, well kept rooms and welcoming staff. It is a great venue for exploring the Beaujolais region with a real taste of luxury in the food, spa and treatment. Lovely area for biking, walking or just wine tasting. Set in its own grounds it is a quiet spot although we went in March had a lovely duplex room that overlooked the outdoor pool which was evidently closed. Only suggestion is that a Relais du Silence and children do not go together! It is a pity that this sort of hotel does not exclude children and babies or have a minimum age e.g. over 12 or something as then it would be a Relais du Silence.

Room Tip: They appear to be all duplex rooms (stairs up) either over a quiet car parking area and rooms facing...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I spent two nights and three days at a small business meeting here in late March. The building and outside grounds are strikingly beautiful as is the surrounding area. Unfortunately my experience went downhill after going inside. First, despite the price tag dont expect anyone to help you carry your bags to your room. The staff are not willing to do that. My room was in the "modern building" adjacent to the old chateau. The room was very strangely designed with the bedroom upstairs and the bathroom downstairs. The bathroom was very outdated, the tub drain kept getting stuck and the shower was only the handheld style which continually fell off of the flimsy mount and into the bathtub. The bed was two beds pushed together with a large depression in the center. It was very uncomfortable- so much so I considered sleeping on the floor one night. The Internet connection throughout the chateau was very slow and often dropped off completely- incredibly frustrating when you are trying to keep up with emails or communicate with family back home. There is no fitness center. The breakfast hall in the "modern building" felt very much like a nursing home for the elderly- ugly and stale. Breakfast was poorly presented and mostly unappetizing. The main restaurant was average at best- especially for France. We were a group of about 14 and during many meals the majority of us were quite disappointed- often sending back main dishes and desserts largely uneaten. Finally, the prices for the bar and the minibar were very expensive. All considered, we were eager for the meeting to end so we could leave the chateau.

Room Tip: Avoid the "modern building"
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We came here for a night as a stopover and reserved one of their average rooms. The property itself is beautiful and makes you feel like you're in a classical chateau from the outside. But what waits inside slightly surprised us. The decor was very modern and cold. The furniture was uncomfortable and slightly worn down. The rooms are fairly large with loft type feeling. Again, no real sign of french country interior design but something you might find in more of a city setting. We booked a meal at their restaurant. I was impressed by the presentation of the food, however, not the quality. They give little bites in between meals that felt like too much food. We did not take advantage of the spa because we didn't have time. We also thought the price of about 40 euros/person for 2 hours was a bit much. For one night and spending 400 euros for a room and dinner, we were not as impressed as the other 4 stars we have stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
geneva
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

Please note my review is written as a handicapped person stuck in a wheelchair. The Chateau de Pizay, is a member of the Chateaux Demeures Hotels et Grandes Etapes des Vignobles and, as such, displays in the Groups's annual booklet a series of symbols showing the facilties on offer by the various entries. Among them is the international sign for a Wheelchair. As a side issue I have 3 times written to Tripadvisor suggesting that they have a separate section for places with Handicap facilities. I have never had a reply. To make things easier for them, I would suggest that like all the Hotels in the above Guide, the Tripadvisor simply adds the traditional wheelchair logo for any relevant comments by Tripadvisor members.
Because the description of the Chateau de Pizay contained the wheelchair logo, I decided to pay a visit with my wife. As a precaution I phoned well in advance to check the facility and made a booking.
After quite a bit of confusion about availability that changed with each of 3 ladies I spoker to, it was done.
The beginning of ther trip was not a good augury as the directions were misleading and Pizay was not originally mentioned. When I remarked on this at Reception they admitted several guasts had had similar problems. Next a young girl took us to our room. When my wife went in she said I would have a problem with the toilet entrance. She tried it out with my wheelchair and the closet was extremely narrow. I could get in but it was a squeeze keeping one's arms away from the walls especially near the WC's toilet roll. The next morning compounded the access difficulty. The bathroom had obviously never been planned for a wheelchair.user. The wash basin and its surrounds were extended ending with a drop down shelf (like the letter "L"). Net result there was no room for a wheelchair to fit under the apron. Without telescopic arms I could not shave And was only able to do my essential ablutions by sitting sideways with a towel on my lap. Most unsatifactory.

As a result of a series of little niggles I felt even more discomforted. First of all, despite the current publicity, the Chateau is no longer a Hotel du Silence as it now caters largely for corporate bookings for the new conferece facilities, This had a commensurate effect on the speed of bar and waiter service. The restaurant was not as luxurious as its menu indicated. More peculiar, like an old-fashioned sex discrimination, each time my wife was presented with a menu that did not show the actual prices. Which could well cause some embarrassment on occasion. It understandly irritated my professional working wife. Next, in order tio try it out, I ordered the local house produced wine called: Red Beaujolais. At the end when presented with the bill, I noticed I had been charged for a different higher priced wine. When I remonstrated, the waiter calmly said "well for 4 Euros more etc, you got a much better wine!" Finall insult, to use the modest Spa for up to 2 hours you had to pay 42 Euros. My wife refused and chse our large bath, Despite being a 4 Star luxury category, there was no regular Internet service despite its promise in the brochure..

In short a most disappointing experience. Ther so-called Handicap faciolities would not have passed muster with any Inspector from the UK's Trade Description Act. As I wrote Caveat Emptor especially when in a wheelchair otherwise you risk having an awkward physical occurrence!

Room Tip: For the best rooms choose one in the courtyard in front of the Chateau's entrance. The remainin...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nibor14Geneva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Jean-d'Ardieres
Georges Blanc Parc & Spa
Hotel Des Grands Vins
Hotel Des Grands Vins
#1 of 1 in Fleurie
Carrion Cuisine Hotel and Spa

Been to Chateau de Pizay? Share your experiences!