“Icky hotel, bad customer service”

Ranked #44 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
“Icky hotel, bad customer service”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel before and it had been fine, but we haven't been in two years. Since our last stay it has gone downhill considerably. The whole place smelled bad (combo of mold and cigarette smoke). The two queen bed room was really tiny, the table and dresser were grimy and in bad condition, and the air conditioner smelled musty. I will say that the in-room carpet and bedding were new. In addition, the side doors to the hotel malfunctioned as we were bringing our luggage in and key-cards wouldn't work, making us have to go around to the front door and then back down the hall to the stairway several times. You should also know there is no elevator to the second floor, so a second floor room means hauling everything upstairs. In addition, the neighborhood, never very nice, seemed worse than we remembered. After being there for an hour, we decided we didn't want to stay another night, and found a room at the same price at a much better hotel in the Old Market area for the next night - still within a few minutes of the zoo. We called down to the front desk and told them we would be checking out early, and was told that was fine. We hauled all of our stuff back down the stairs and checked out in person the next morning, and everything seemed routine, other than the front desk clerk complaining to person ahead of us in line that she didn't like working days because at night she can watch Netflix, and another customer coming (while I was still waiting) to inform the front desk that the towels in their room were unacceptable and that there were cups full of cigarette butts in the courtyard.

After getting home, I noticed that Hotels.com, which we used to book the reservation, had charged us the full amount. I called Hotels.com to inform them that we didn't use the second night of our reservation, and was put on hold while they contacted the Comfort Inn. When they came back on, I was told that the manager had refused the refund. I called the manager directly, and was told that because I had booked through a third party, I was responsible for the full charge. After a great deal of back and back and forth, the manager finally agreed to refund half the price of the second night's stay, which I still feel is ridiculous, since we didn't use the second night, informed them the day before we would be checking out, checked out in person, and was never told of any non-refund policy.

As a side note, the Choice Hotels customer service representative I talked to was very unhelpful, and said that the Choice Hotels main office actually works for the individual hotels and has no control over how they conduct their business. An interesting customer service perspective.

I wouldn't stay here again, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor - no elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hkw4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Can't say enough about the staff at the Comfort Inn at the Zoo in Omaha. Was in town for my father's funeral and selected the Comfort Inn due to location and price. The property is a bit rough around the edges, but for the price charged the defects were tolerable. All in all, the rooms were clean and everything was in working condition. The staff, however, were outstanding and more helpful than we have experienced at more expensive hotels. This included accommodating the need for my aunt to be on the lower level, making sure my mother and aunt had something to eat even though they came in after the designated breakfast time, and offering to take pictures so that everyone in the family could be included. The staff at the Comfort Inn definitely showed that they take pride in what they do.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill S
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Bill,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. Thank you for allowing us to accommodate you during this very rough time in your life. Thank you for all of your feedback about the staff. We will make sure to pass this feedback on to our staff. It helps us make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

lincoln,ne
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

The property seems to be going through renovations which is always a good thing. The room is nice but lacking in certain areas, for instance it is missing a trash can and I found a few hairs in the restroom. During the next renovation you should upgrade the windows, its currently 3am and the outside noise of police sirens and bass from stereos is keeping me awake. All in all a decent property.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rossamo
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear rossamo,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your feedback about the hotel. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied. We value all guest feedback. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We value guest feedback because it allows us to make changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stay clear away from this place. Booked this hotel for New Years Eve 2014 through HotWire. Got a great rate of $65. As customary, upon check in the front desk clerk needed a credit/debit card to place a $ 25 hold for incidentals that according to the clerk would be refunded 24 hours after checking out of the hotel on the Jan.1, 2014. Lo and behold, 5 days later I still see the pending transaction for $28.75 (not the $25 as stated by the front desk clerk) on my online debit card activity statement. I contacted the clerk at the front desk who had placed the original pending charge on my debit card on the 31st. I made her aware of the situation. She said she would call my debit card company and have the hold removed. 3 hours later I reviewed my statement again. Nothing. I called my debit card company and I asked had they received any call from Comfort Inn. They said no call had been received from Comfort Inn. I called back Comfort Inn and asked for the manager , the same front desk clerk who initiated the original transaction now states she's the Assistant Manager and stated she didn't call the debit card company she called her merchant processor and they informed her there was no hold and insinuated I was making the whole thing up. Totally nonplussed after receiving her response, I hung up and filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. A mere $28.75 pending transaction turned what would have been a mediocre stay in a generic motel brand into an awful experience. Moral of the story, pay those predators with cash if you should have the misfortune of staying there. As far as the rooms....they're ok. It's the Comfort Inn not The Peninsula.You kind of know what you're gonna get. The one star is for the breakfast in the morning and the proximity of the hotel to the Doorly Zoo. Everything else about this hotel , specifically the front desk clerks and management, leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MookieGoldstein

Travellers are raving about these Omaha hotels

Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed with my daughter at Comfort Inn while visiting Creighton University. It's a few miles out of downtown, but we got a great rate by paying in advance. The neighborhood strikes me as a bit dodgy, but not scary at all. The reception at the front desk was quick and friendly, and our room, with two queen beds was very acceptable - a little small, but what do you want at the price? The free breakfast was what the free breakfasts always are, perfectly acceptable for the price. I think I would try to stay closer to downtown if we come back, but I was quite happy with our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear SpringsTS,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. We value all guest feedback. We hope that you and your daughter enjoyed the visit to Creighton. We are glad that you enjoyed all that we have to offer. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean,safe, and comfortable place to stay.Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This hotel has a great location if you are staying at the zoo or wanting to be downtown. It is just minutes away from both. The room was very nice and the continential breakfast was wonderful. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 150redheadone
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Comfort Inn at the Zoo, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear 150redheadone,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We value all guest feedback. We hope that you and your family enjoyed your stay in Omaha. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are so glad that you enjoyed our breakfast service. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Comfort Inn Omaha at the Zoo.
Saint Libory, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was the worst hotel stay ever. I had two requirements, adjoining rooms and a swimming pool. Had to change rooms because they didn't see the adjoining rooms requirement, so we had to move from one floor to another. After having six kids in swimming suit and ready for the pool, we were informed that the pool broke down that morning and wont be fixed until the next (which it wasn't). After dealing with six disappointed kids, I needed a diet coke and all the vending machines were either empty or broke down. The lobby could have used a good dusting and when we went to eat breakfast the next morning, my husband looked down at the floor and in the corner by the waffle maker was a lot ants. We wont be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends