“My favorite Omaha hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Omaha Downtown / Old Market Area
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Boston
“My favorite Omaha hotel”
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I stayed four nights on a business trip to Omaha this week and had a very nice stay. I am surprised to see such low reviews for this hotels. I've stayed at many other Hilton Garden Inns before and know what they offer, and this one offers everything promised.

The staff are very dedicated to customer service. Maybe too much so. The front desk staff were always friendly and helpful, were well aware of the nearby shops and restaurants, and were always willing to help. Honestly, sometimes this help was too aggressive: there was an evening reception each weekday evening and they REALLY wanted me to have some beer or wine, or bottled water. I really just wanted to go up to my room but it was a little odd how aggressively they tried to stop me so I could socialize with them and strangers at this free reception. Occasionally at the breakfast buffet this happened too: "are you sure I can't get you anything else?" "really, I can get you more coffee" "are you really sure". Other than this excess enthusiasm for interacting with me the staff were great.

The rooms at HGI's are generally well put together, with plenty of electric outlets, a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. The rooms here were large enough for me to exercise in. One design flaw is that the bathroom door and the front door can swing into each other. The shower pressure was great, hot water came up instantly, and it did not have the filmy, hard-water issue that many hotels in Omaha have (at the Doubletree downtown, for example, the water is so hard that you cannot rinse the soap film or shaving cream completely off).

I liked the breakfast buffet but must confess that I received a free breakfast as a Hilton Platinum level traveler. Other than the occasional over-eager extra-coffee push, the service was gracious and friendly. I used the exercise room which is basically four cardio machines: it's better than nothing but it is a weakness of the hotel. They do offer discount passes to more extensive gyms in the area: I did not take them up on it.

This is my favorite Omaha hotel. I have stayed at the Doubletree, Magnolia, Courtyard, and Embassy Suites, and always try to get in here first. It can be pricy, but that's the only reason I look at the other choices.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
phoenix
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I chose to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn after looking at many other hotels for the one night I was in Omaha from Phoenix. I could only research hotels on-line, and even though pricey, I chose a King Suite with hottub at the Hilton Garden Inn. I have to be honost and say I wasn't impressed, with the hotel, the room, or the service, for the $280 I paid.
I was told upon booking the room I could get early check-in, and late check-out, which was important to me since i landed at noon and check-in wasn't until 3pm. I ended up waiting 3 hours for the room. This was the first disappointment. Upon entering the room, I was amazed at how plain and outdated the room and furniture was, how rock hard the bed was, and that the hottub was really a bathtub in the bedroom. I actually slept on the pull-out bed which was more comfortable than the bed. Also I had requested two beds, but was given one. There were two plasma tv's which may have been the highlight.
I was starving upon arrival and couldn't wait to go to Spencer's, then I found out it closes all afternoon and didn't re-open until 5pm.
The fitness center was my next adventure, which I read about online, sounded really nice, it was about a 10' x 10' room, with two treadmills, elliptical, and stationary bike, no fans.
The shuttle service is actually very prompt, both driver's I encountered were very friendly and helpful, and will take you anywhere within 4 miles, however closes at 11pm.
I was a bit shocked when I woke at 6am and had a check-out bill at my door. I proceeded to breakfest, which ranged from $8-$11, received no service by the waitress. I had to go to the waitress station and ask for a glass of water. I tipped the silverware roller, William, that got me silverware, re-filled my water, and continually checked on me.
All-in-all, I won't return or recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. Try the Marriot next door.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
new orleans
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Normal hotel with a pricey breakfast buffet. Nice bed and flat screen television. Came back after a run on the river and the maid was washing the in-room water glasses in the bathroom sink. Completely ruined the rest of my stay.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank josef70115
Oregon/Washington
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We stayed for one night at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown at the beginning of our trip.

When you drive up, there is a small unloading area, but it is not covered. The parking garage is attached to the hotel, so we drove in there. It was a bit confusing finding the parking for the hotel vs the restaurant.

Check-in was very quick and the desk clerk let us know that there was a 24 hr small store for any snacks, water or forgotten items to purchase if need be. The room key doubles as the access key for the parking garage.

Our room had 2 beds and was nicely decorated. The chair at the desk was especially nice, as it was ergonomic. Internet access was complimentary, which was much appreciated.

The bathroom was clean, but a bit boring as far as decor.

We had breakfast at the hotel in the morning which was plentiful (two of us could have shared an order) and tasty.

The location of this hotel was excellent. Just a few minutes from the airport, and right by the Old Market area.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The only negative is the confusing parking situation, but that is very minor.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank Mtngrl
Ponder, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2008

This HGI is typical of many other HGI's, but I found everything to be excellent about this property. Check-in took about two minutes and I was on my way to the room. The room itself wasn't anything different than other HGI properties, but was clean and well decorated. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly with directions and other information regarding Old Market. This is an excellent location for access to Old Market (about a 5 minute walk) which includes TONS of restaurants and shops. There is also a Spencers Steak and Chops restaurant within the hotel. I didn't eat there, but the menu looked really good! The only minus to the property is the $9 charge for parking in the garage, but that's really not a big deal as it is typical for most downtown hotels. Overall I was very pleased with this property and if my travels take me back to Omaha I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank TXBusinessTraveler
Madison
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We were in Omaha for the Olympic Swimming Trials and stayed at this hotel for eight nights. It was wonderful. The staff was delightful, very clean, beds were very comfy. The breakfast was fabulous and the location was perfect. I highly recommend this hotel and will stay there again if I am in Omaha.

• Liked — Very nice all around
  • Disliked — cannot think of a thing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank bsktmiss
Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2008

This hotel is located in a perfect area of downtown Omaha. It is just steps away from Howard Street (Old Market) and near many wonderful restaurants. The workout room is adequate- at best. If you're looking for a five star hotel- this is not it- but if you're looking for a clean hotel with helpful staff- choose this one.

• Liked — clean, close to everything downtown
  • Disliked — workout facilities
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business