“Yummy Bentos!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I admit I am no sushi connoisseur, but I have enjoyed what I have tried. They can be pricy for some of the items (though high quality I'm sure), though we usually stick to the specials. A little boring, but you can't go wrong with California Rolls and Chicken Teriyaki! The service is usually pretty good too. We mistakenly walked in pretty close to when they close for their lunch break, but they were super nice about it and we didn't feel rushed.

There are newer reviews for Sakura Bana

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Sakura bana is one of the oldest sushi restaurants in town and still one of the best. Other sushi places maybe more trendy, but this is more traditional. No need to be so flashy as other swank places when the food here is top notch. I feel it is the best sushi and best Japanese food in town. The service is always fast. The wait staff is always bubbly and nice. They have an extensive menu and many kid friendly non-raw fish options. Prices are average for a sushi restaurant. Fairly good desserts too. The standard in sushi for Omaha. The owner is from Japan and is a classically trained sushi chef, not just someone who had a few cooking classes. Get there early for some happy hour sushi specials before 6 PM.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Didn't get to sample as many items as I'd like on my first trip, but I enjoyed what I tasted and will definitely return. The restaurant has a very inviting air and seems like it is family-run. The waitresses are very kind and make you feel much at home. Large TV's everywhere give the place the impression of being a sports bar, not so much to my taste, but likely well suited to most others visiting the place. The agedashi tofu was tasty but very straightforward and could have been more elaborate and suffused with umami. The sunomono was also simple and needed a bit "more." The selection of appetizers is appealingly broad and future sampling is in order. The sashimi was very fresh (tuna not quite so) and I was impressed that the sea urchin had a pleasantly sweet flavor. My timing was good! The presentation was also nicely done. Next time, when the wife joins me, rolls will be sampled.

2  Thank mingfatsai
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We went there with my family of five and it was awesome!!!! I had the chicken teryaki and it was so tender. The carrots on the side tasted like candy, and the miso soup was the best. They served us hot towels before ordering, along with perfectly season edamame.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have been eating at this restaurant regularly for nearly 20 years. I've had just about everything on the expansive menu. I've never had a mediocre meal or experience in all these years. Most of the time, my experience has been excellent, but I'll admit there have been a few times it's been just nearly-excellent.

On my most recent encounter, I ordered take-out. I had the Maki Roll combination ($14/lunch, $17 dinner). You can choose 4 rolls from about 10 choices. I prefer mine ice-cream cone style, but you can also order them cut. I ordered the yellowtail and scallions, spicy tuny, special California, and Shrimp special. I was promised my order would be ready in 20 minutes. 19 minutes later, I arrived at the restaurant, and exactly 20 minutes after I ordered, my order was ready. Even in a Styrofoam container, the presentation was nice. All my food was fresh and tasty. The nori was high quality, subtly salty, and the sushi rice is perfectly subtly sweet, tender, and tangy. None of these qualities are difficult to achieve (I make my own sushi frequently), but it takes attention and concern that aren't found everywhere. The spicy tuna isn't stupidly spicy. It's flavorfully spicy. It's not macho. It's a quick hit of heat that dissolves in perfect time for the rich taste of the tuna to permeate the palate. The mayo on the shrimp special and California roll is heavenly. The yellowtail was divine. All the portions were ample. You can find cheaper sushi, but after eating at Sakura Bana, you'll find that it's not worth it.

2  Thank Melissa N