“Casual southwest/american fare”
Review of Stokes Grill & Bar

Stokes Grill & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Stokes Grill & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 1,351 Restaurants in Omaha
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In 1998, feeling the creative talents of (then-Champps) Chef John Ursick were not reaching their full potential, they brainstormed the idea of Stokes Grill & Bar. Stokes is a unique southwestern concept featuring one of Omaha's best wine lists with over two hundred selections. After a very successful first decade, Stokes opened a second location in the Old Market of Omaha. In 2012, the original Stokes moved into a larger building near Boys Town on Dodge.
Asheville, North Carolina
“Casual southwest/american fare”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

lots of good options , had a quesadilla which was good, but a friend shared ricotta flatbread which I really enjoyed. One of our party had corn chowder--said he'd never seen it pureed but liked it very much. Decor and ambiance are nice too.

Visited September 2013

Des Moines, Iowa
“Good food”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I had lunch there and it was very good and very reasonable. The brisket tacos are out of this world!

Visited August 2013
Prairie Village, KS
“Won't be here long”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This should be a good restaurant, but it's not. It has a good vibe and the service was mostly good, but that's where the positive notes end. To start, every mixed drink we ordered was terrible. I don't know how that's possible, but it's true. The Aviator and Hurricane on their "Signature" menu were both bad...like cold medicine. Switched to my usual whiskey & ginger ale. It was so bad I had to ask where the ginger ale came from because something was wrong with it. I switched to a whiskey & ginger beer just so I knew it was from an unopened source and not on the soda tap. It was drinkable. Next, we ordered margaritas. The premixed house margarita is ok, but I normally prefer a better tequila so they had to "custom" make it. Hands down, there is no worse drink to ever pass my lips. It could compete for shelf space with ipecac. I dared the waitress to take it in back and try it, but I doubt she did. At this point beer seemed like the only safe bet. Earlier in the evening I went to the bar to look at the beer taps. There was one unfamiliar selection called NZ IPA. I asked where it was from and the bar tender said New Zealand. I thought "really"?? A beer on tap from New Zealand? I sort of asked jokingly if they meant New Zealand, Nebraska. Ha ha, no, she said it was from the real New Zealand. So, I asked the waitress about the IPA from New Zealand. She laughed and said it's Zipline Brewery from Lincoln, NE. They simply use New Zealand hops...thus the name NZ IPA. She couldn't believe the dumb bartender actually thought it was brewed in New Zealand.

The menu is quite expansive and offers an appealing selection. However, what the server actually brings to your table may not be in line with your expectations. I ordered the pork porterhouse special, which deserves a passing grade. We also ordered something from the "hand-held" portion of the menu which was odd...not as expected. The funniest entree was the shrimp and grouper special. It was served on a long rectangle plate with a little pile of veggies on one end and 3 or 4 shrimp and a TINY, TINY silver dollar-sized piece of grouper on the other (for almost $20). It belonged on a piece of sushi, not featured as the entree special. By this point in the evening nothing surprised us though.

We left around 8:30 on a Saturday and the place was almost cleared out. This location has the potential to be the home of a good restaurant, but it won't be Stokes. They're doomed.

• Visited July 2013
La Vista, Nebraska
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My husband and I love going on dates to Stokes downtown. The restaurant is beautiful, the atmosphere is great as well as the service, and the food is just absolutely delicious!!!

Visited February 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“Wanted to Really Like It”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I love this type of food and had a great experience at the location downtown but had dinner at the new location out west and was disappointed. My wife started off with the black bean soup which was fantastic. My mom got a Bloody Mary for $5.75 which was just OK, she has had better. The menu was kind of difficult to read and it was kind of noisy but not too bad. I got the barbeque chicken sandwich and it was kind of bland not enough flavor it was average. The hand cut fries were really tasty. The wife got Ahi tuna tacos and they had so much Wasabi on them she could not take it and really could not enjoy the meal. My mom got the tortilla soup and said it tasted different not really like tortilla soup and spicy. My oldest boy had an enchilada from the kids menu but it came with a lime green sauce on the top (which tasted fine but scares some 10 year olds) which made him nervous so I had to scrap it off and he ate his dinner and enjoyed it. I really dislike giving an establishment a 2 rating but I believe this place could be much more and enjoy their type of food. And it are going to charge higher prices which I have no problem paying, you need to prepare the food not only correctly but fantastic.

• Visited April 2013