“Only deep dish I know of in Omaha”
Review of Pudgy's Pizzeria

Pudgy's Pizzeria
Ranked #260 of 1,395 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Heard about the place via a newspaper article. I didn't know there was a joint that served deep dish in town.

We felt service was good. We got a deep dish pizza, half the works and half veggie and they warned us it would take a little time. It might have been about 30 minutes. We ordered cheese bread which was tasty. The young lady waiting on us did a good job considering I misread the menu. You have to grab your glass for the soft drinks by the cash register so it is mostly serve yourself. They just bring the food out.

The owner did come and visit with us which lent a friendly atmosphere.

I really liked the deep dish pizza. It wasn't quite as good as the deep dish we've had in Chicago but mighty close. There were a lot of toppings and generous sauce. Crust cooked well. They held the olives as requested.

A bonus was running into a colleague from work.

Pudgy's is a long way from our house so it's not practical to go often. I'd like to try another variety of deep dish again. Maybe pick one up to go after calling ahead, then take it to Chalco hills or schramm park to enjoy when the weather is nicer!

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have to share what happened to me last night. I love Pudgy's pizza and found a coupon in the entertainment book so we decided to go there for dinner . I should have just kept on going when I pulled in and found three Sarpy County Sheriff cruisers in the lot. When I walked into Pudgy's there had been some kind of altercation with an employee over some unpaid wages and I heard the owner's wife say that she was going to send them a check for the amount owed. Despite the weirdness in the air, I ordered the Chicago Style "Heat Treat" which has Jalapeños on it. We get half Jalapeños (for me) and one side without for my wife. It takes about 45 minutes for that pizza so we bought some cheese bread in addition while we waited. They bring the pizza to the table and I can't see any jalapeños so I ask which side has them. The guy picks up the spatula that is in the pan and starts scooping the cheese to the side, and digging through the pizza. Obviously they forgot the Jalapeños and he apologizes. The owner's wife is sitting next to us and says "what can we do to make this up to you?" I say, how about just give me the coupon back and I'll come back and order another pizza. The guy sitting with the owner begins nodding in approval to this solution, but she (the owner) says "I don't think that's worth all that over some Jalapeños". She then offers to have the cook sauté some Jalapeños and we can sprinkle them on top. I replied "I just don't think it would be the same". So we say "don't worry about it". She then says "we will give you a gift certificate" and I agree that would be fine. So twenty minutes goes by and we are finished eating and we ask for a "to go" box. The kid who served us comes over and boxes up the pizza. I then politely said "she said something about a gift certificate". He says just a minute and walks over to the female owner who proceeds to openly complain about the gift certificate (and me) right in front of me. I then hear her say "he already paid" and "over some missing jalapeños". I then stood up and decided to just leave as I had enough. As I'm walking to the door the kid says "she's writing that up for you right now". I told him "keep it, she is standing there complaining about it right in front of me". He then says "oh, she's talking about someone else". I just kept walking and said "keep it" and left. I have one thing to say... there are plenty of pizza places in town and that is one that has been eternally crossed off my list. The "new" management is gonna run this place into the ground. Maybe it's their business exit strategy.

Sent from my iPhone

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This is basically a simple pick up shop, with a very small seating area if you wanted to eat in. I can't think of any reason to do so since there is no atmosphere outside that of a tiny cafeteria. My wife and I live a few minutes from this place so we'll occasionally order take out. The problem is with the service, as has been detailed in a number of other reviews. They simply are not efficient so I usually end up waiting longer than I should for the pie. The pizza is always quite good so not complaints there, it just depends on your patience level on getting your order.
Oh by the way, another pizza place opened up recently across the street from here so the comment from an earlier review is no longer true. We've been going there and their pizza is pretty good to. With much better service.

1  Thank JAS1858
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Closest thing to Chicago thin crust pizza since I left years ago. Still miss the real thing but this is fairly close.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Based on previous experience, my wife arrived 5 minutes late and was told it would still be 8 more minutes. She paid, then after waiting 15 minutes found out they lost the order. 20 minutes later she got our pizzas. These people have no clue how to run a business. Lucky for them, they don't have competition close by or they would be out of business. It will be a long time before we consider going back again. Their deep dish is good, you just need to decide for yourself if the wait is worth it.