“I should have checked trip advisor first”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
“I should have checked trip advisor first”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am at this hotel now and let me say... sketchy is the first word that came to mind. The parking lot is tiny and I couldn't even tell it was the hotels. The elevator... let's just say I wasn't sure I would make it to the third floor. The halls are dungy and have an odor... and all of that was the best part of my experience. The room... there are holes in the walls, paint scraped off in other areas and large black smudges in other areas. They gave me a smoking room which had a top to an old glass candle jar for an ashtray. There is no clock in the room. The hair dryer is missing and they can't find me one to use. The dresser has drawers that don't match and the handles are missing. There are fruit flies in the room. When you sit on the bed it sinks toward the head of the bed.The bathroom is TINY and has cigarette burns all over the counters. The shower curtain has black mold on it. The towels have brown stains on them. The tv and the mini fridge (while all scuffed up) are the only things that worked. And their "breakfast" was a joke... bagels but no cream cheese. Cereal but no milk. The juice machine didn't work. frozen waffles that were thawed out and put in a stack. The only thing edible was the mini muffins. Not even cream for the coffee. I am supposed to stay here two more nights - that's not going to happen. I will be finding another hotel today. I chose this "hotel" because it's close to the office I am working at this week and the price was very low - that should have been my first clue. Never again will I book a hotel without checking out this site.

Room Tip: Check trip advisor first and don't come here!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Trisha J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Where to begin...

I've stayed at quite a few hotels as I travel a lot for work and pleasure. I am no stranger to dives and don't mind staying at them as they are usually a good deal.

We stayed two nights ($50/night) over Memorial Day weekend in 2013. The room was not clean and had a bad odor. The surfaces in the bathroom were crusty. There were stains in the bathroom and corners that had grime dark build up. The bathroom had a non trivial amount of other people's hair on the tile, tub and walls and the shower curtain had stains. To make matters even worse - there was a gap between the bottom of the room door and the hallway so all sorts of smells and sounds easily made their way into the room.

It would have been a decent deal for $25, not so much for $50. I should have read the reviews of this place on TripAdvisor before I booked, I would have stayed somewhere else.

It's a great location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Omaha hotels

Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

I am a road warrior and travel on business about 10 months out of the year so I stay in quite a few hotels. I have stayed in some real bad places and this one is on up there...... or down there, how ever you want to look at it. The price intrigued me for a Saturday night stay so I jumped on it. It is right downtown but not a good area of it. The property has not been kept up and the rooms are barely clean. There was no remote for the TV and considering the surroundings I figured that was just the way it was. The bed was hard as a rock and the towels were like sand paper. The TV stations barely came in clear and the elevator made me pray every time I rode it.

If you can stand the accommodations it's a great price for downtown, but that's about it.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Like others, I didn't read the reviews until it was too late. First off, when I got into my room, I found a large bug on the wall near the window. Not a good start. Then I checked out the small kitchenette and found it filthy. You would think that a hotel chain, even one with old furniture, would at least want their rooms to be as clean as they can be. Guess not. The bathroom floor was dirty and the sink was stained. The beds themselves were somewhat comfortable. Just don't check under your sheets. It looked like what appeared to be blood on the mattress on our bed. The entire appearance of the place looks okay if not somewhat worn down. And free breakfast? Hope you like your grains food group. There was no fruit, yogurt, applesauce. They have cereal and toast and some old looking wafflecakes that you are supposed to throw in the toaster. On day I checked out I thought I'd try the coffee maker. Unfortunately I too freaked out to make any, partly because of how grimey the pot was, and partly due to finding another bug crawling around the coffee maker.

Room Tip: Check your room for bugs before you pay.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndersAJ
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Bad mistake, didn't read reviews before coming there.
First, the room was not cleaned of after previous guests.
Second, all the comments before are true. Plus superuncomfortable squeaking beds.
Third - cocroaches! Sorry to hotel owners, we accidently stole one of them!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Al B
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Of 4 rooms we rented, 3 had no hair dryer, 1 had dryer that did not work, and 1 looked like a CRIME SCENE! Coffee pot was missing, and there was blood on the door and bathroom wall. The rooms were supposed to be non-smoking, but they stunk like they had been smoking and had been doused in Fabreze. The parking lot was poorly lit and had shady characters hanging around. The breakfast was so bad, we went out to eat. There was cereal, but 1/4 cup of milk in container, coffee tasted like bile, the juice machine was broken, and there were store bought muffins in the case. This place needs to be condemned.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Deborah B
antioch, CA
Reviewed 4 July 2012

OMG Where to start?? I wish I had read Tripadvisor first. This place is so filthy I'm surprised the health dept allows it to stay open. Mildew everywhere. Dirty carpet, bathroom tile. I heard two different guests tell the front desk person (who looked like a 16 yr old) that their a/c units worked but it leaked and the carpet was very soaked. He just said "ok". When I asked for a coffee pot that was missing in our room, he gave me a sm coffee pot. I said again I need the whole unit. He looked very confused. There were so many areas of past ceiling leaks everywhere in the rooms (we had two) and lobby and breakfast area. When we checked out, part of the lobby ceiling had fallen down due to moisture. You could do better at a Motel 6 and I don't usually stay at those but it's got to be better than this dump.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omaha
EVEN Hotels Omaha Downtown
Quality Inn & Suites Council Bluffs
Quality Inn & Suites Council Blu...
#18 of 24 in Council Bluffs
Hotel Deco XV
Hotel Deco XV
#18 of 82 in Omaha
Courtyard Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area
Sleep Inn, Inn & Suites Omaha
Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!