“Nicely Refurbished, But Still Somewhat Disappointing”

Sheraton Omaha Hotel
Ranked #22 of 81 Hotels in Omaha
GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Nicely Refurbished, But Still Somewhat Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Her Ladyship and I decided, at the last minute, to take a "road trip" to the Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholders' meeting in Omaha. And, being a "road trip," we decided to take our two dogs.

I read in the Omaha newspaper that this meeting brings the largest influx of tourists to the Omaha area, so we were fortunate to get a hotel room at the last second -- and in a hotel that welcomed (more or less) dogs. American Express handled the reservation for us, and explained that the hotel had a policy of one dog per room. We therefore had to rent two connecting rooms -- at a cost of $400 per night for the two.

I was pleased to see that the hotel manager, Dan Toman, actively responds to all online reviews -- whether they are good or bad. And it looks like Dan has had to deal with his share of unfavorable reviews as the hotel underwent its recent metamorphosis from a Crowne Plaza to a Sheraton (at a cost of $4 million, according to Hotel Business Review). We contacted Dan by e-mail prior to our arrival, and he responded promptly. He arranged for the connecting rooms, and did his best -- during a very busy period -- to find someone to "babysit" our dogs while we were at the meeting. The kennel Dan suggested needed 10 days notice: the Amex Concierge was able to find a kennel that could assist.

On check-in we were told that our two rooms had been refurbished, and that we would be the first people to stay in them. The rooms did look fresh and new, but they still had the layout of a 1970's Holiday Inn. This was most evident in the bathrooms, with old-fashioned shower/tub combinations, and a toilet that was so close to the newly-installed cabinet that you needed to sit on it at a 90 degree angle (see photograph). The bed was very comfortable, the linen nice, the WiFi fast and free, but the "view" out of our ground-floor room was of a couple of large shipping containers.

When I walked around the parking lot with the dogs, I was surprised at all of the cracks -- many of them seemed to have slimy water bubbling up. The outside "deck" of the swimming pool was particularly uninviting: adjacent to the same shipping containers, cracked concrete, and a view of -- well, of trees and the parking lot.

We found the hotel staff generally attentive: Her Ladyship likes to have water bottles frozen at night, and they were able to do this cheerfully and without problems. We had dinner in the hotel both nights, and the food was tasty and inexpensive. Our waitress both nights was incredibly cheerful and efficient.

I couldn't help but reflect on our own experience remodeling part of our house. We decided to stick with the existing foundation, which (in retrospect) meant we were circumscribed by what we could do. The hotel owners would certainly have achieved a better result, and would have produced a much nicer hotel, if they tore the building down and started from scratch. But they couldn't have done that for $4 million.

This hotel would be fine for businessmen visiting Omaha, but we found it somewhat disappointing (particularly at the price charged --- understandable considering the demand for hotel rooms during the BRK meeting). When we return to Omaha, I think I'd like to try someplace else. I hate to say this because Dan tried so hard, but I doubt he had much (or any) say in the design of the bathrooms, etc.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are truly that -- you look out into the dumpsters, or the parking lot. I would as...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Spent 6 nights and although the hotel is in the final stage of remodeling, we had not issues. The bed is without a doubt the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in. Bottom line: If you’re looking for an SPG property in West Omaha, enjoy your stay. Also, big shout out to Izane and the incredible level of service he provided in the Starwood Club. If I was thinking coffee…he was pouring. Simply outstanding service. The ONLY negative (for me personally) is the road noise from Dodge Street during rush hour. Other than that...I'll be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Deventer
Dan_Toman, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Deventer, thanks for taking the time to post a review!

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to complete a review here on Tripadvisor. We review all postings from Tripadvisor and from our Sheraton/Starwood surveys during our weekly staff meetings, so rest assured that your time was well spent and any suggestions will be considered among our management team. As well, Ihsane is a great team member and we are happy to have him! I'm so pleased that he contributed to your experience here. Our newly renovated Sheraton Club on the sixth floor is now open as well to our Platinum SPG Guests as well as those guests who choose to upgrade to Club! The West Dodge expressway is nearby, however, we are more than happy to do our best to accommodate requests for East-facing rooms at checkin which some guests may find to be slightly quieter (though I think the West-view is far superior!).

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Safe Travels to you...

Wichita, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I had booked this hotel on Priceline. After reading some of the reviews below, I was a little apprehensive about this hotel. But I have had very good luck with Priceline and had faith that this would be another positive experience. This turned out to be another one of those experiences. We stayed at this hotel on a night that the midwest was under seige by tornadoes (well over 100 tornadoes in 4 states on this day alone). About an hour outside of Omaha, we came thru a town that had been flattened, and semis strewn on the interstate. Needless to say, by the time we reached the hotel, we were ready to crash. Unfortunately when we arrived about 8:30 that evening, the storm had knocked out the electicity to that area. The staff of this hotel took what was a bad situation (they had a retirement banquet going on, as well as a lobby full of people) and went above and beyond to make it a very pleasant experience. The people gathered in the lobby were relaxed and having a good time. There was no complaining and the children were amazingly very well behaved. I truly believe this is because of the way the staff handled the situation. They were professional, but friendly and very accomodating. Because their computer systems were down, we were unable to check into our room. They explained that we were welcome to cancel our reservation (they would authorize Priceline to refund our money) and suggested some other hotels closeby. They appologized several times for the situation, even it was in no way their fault. We chose to go get something to eat (they suggested several restaurants nearby). About 30 minutes after we returned to the hotel, the electricity finally came back on. Boy, was I glad we chose to stay and wait it out. We were given a remodeled room on the 4th floor. It was wonderful!!! It was beautifully decorated and the beds were AMAZING!!!!! I have never slept in a hotel bed so comfortable.....heck, my bed at home isn't even that comfortable! I will definitely make this my home away from home if/when I am ever in Omaha again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KansasBrownEyedGirl
I am SO HAPPY that you enjoyed your time with us! We are here to serve! A hotel is just a building, it is the people inside that make it happen! The weather that evening through the region was absolutely crazy, however, we chose to make the best of it and I'm glad you made it here! Our renovation has wrapped up at this point and we are just completing our outdoor landscaping project to enhance our curb appeal!

Yours in the spirit of service...

Brentwood, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a week over the holidays due to a death in the family. We brought the pooch and took a pet friendly room. That means we got one of the more tired rooms on the first floor, but we knew that going in 'cause that is what we asked for. Understand they only set aside so many rooms where they will tolerate a dog. Butnthenroom was big and roomy, always kept up, and the room service was always fast, good, and served with a smile. When we got in, the room was stinky with old smoke, and we were moved right away. It's under rehab and I think they were doing a floor at a time. Fine place, will stay again especially if we bring the hound.

Stayed December 2011
Thanks for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor!

As you state, we do welcome dogs up to 40 lbs in our Pet Friendly accommodations which are located on the first floor for obvious reasons. All of our rooms have had the renovation work completed at this point, including the Pet Friendly rooms. Our pet fee is a non-refundable $50.00 cleaning fee that is posted at time of check-in and the Pet Policy details have always been listed on our website in the "announcements" section at www.sheraton.com/omaha. Your business is valued at Starwood/Sheraton Hotels and we are pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and the accommodations warm and welcoming.

Thanks again and Safe Travels to you!

Wyndmere, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed here after a week on the road. It was the best hotel we stayed at the whole trip. New rooms, great beds and staff. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hello!

I am absolutely ecstatic that you enjoyed the hotel and our team members!

Safe Travels to you!

Ventura, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I got this room for 45.00 through Priceline and when we checked in the hotel gave us a newly remodeled room on the 4th floor. THEE best bed, room service (yes...room service in a 45.00 hotel room!!!) and we seriously had the best night's sleep we had had in a week of travels. Thank you Priceline and Sheraton Omaha on 108th street!!!

Room Tip: ask for a newly remodeled room...you will NOT be disappointed! book through Priceline if possible...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Teri O
Hello and thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor!

That is awesome that you were able to take advantage of a great deal on Priceline! During low demand periods we certainly throw out some enticing rates! Our renovation is pretty well wrapped up at this point except for the exterior landscaping project which is in the works as I type this message! As you state, the feedback from the overwhelming majority of all of our guests has been extremely positive regarding all the work we have completed over the past couple months!

Safe Travels and we look forward to serving you again soon!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

If you've ever seen the movie "Cedar Rapids", you'll think you've arrived on the movie set as you drive up to the hotel. They've done a good job updating the lobby, but this is still a tired old hotel. It's currently being renovated, so it will undoubtedly improve. But beware of the construction now for sure.....And there's not much they can do to improve ceiling height, which has to be the lowest of any hotel I've ever been in. Walking the hallways sober makes me claustrophobic....I can't imagine doing it with a buzz.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian M
Dan_Toman, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Brian... Thanks so much for your review here on Tripadvisor! We are absolutely excited about what our renovation has in store for our return guests and future guests! I'm sure you are talking about our first floor guest corridor hallway from the lobby to the elevators, as the ceiling height is a bit low. The other five floors of guestrooms and all public areas have ceiling heights much more what one would expect. The construction of the building unfortunately does not permit us "opening up" the ceiling on the first floor, however, the plans for the renovation do include some enhancements to portions of the ceiling in the first floor corridor which we feel will make the area less constricting. We have just finished installing a new guestroom door lock system throughout the entire hotel and all public access points. This system is truly an industry first in that guests do not even insert the key into a slot in the door, they simply wave the key in front of the lock. Additionally, the new keys do not contain a magnetic strip, so Credit cards/cell phones/other magnetic devices have ZERO effect on the reliability of the key. The system has only been in place for a week and we can already see the instant change in the reliability of the system for the ease and convenience of the guests as well as overall security. - - - The swimming pool and fitness center area are still out of order for a much-needed facelift. We know that guests will truly enjoy the pool and entire area once completed. We have the largest indoor pool at a hotel in West Omaha, and our guests will now find the area welcoming, fresh, clean and comfortable once again. The fitness center has been expanded as well, and is receiving all new workout equipment which meets all standards of the Sheraton brand. Guestroom renovations are ongoing, and the first floor of new rooms should be revealed to guests in mid-February. Our reworked corridors and guestrooms will be a true delight! Come see us again soon!!! - - - Dan Toman, Manager