“Long on Promise, Short on Delivery - Stay somewhere else”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Boston, Massachusetts
“Long on Promise, Short on Delivery - Stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

Many of the reviews love this hotel. I can not understand why. I travel for work and have stayed in 100s of hotels, and this one lands near the bottom of my list.

The hotel has a lot of "potential" but never lives up to it. It's dirty, run down, and not well maintained. Stains on the furniture, flies in the dining room, shower and sink that back up when using them, rooms that need to be painted and recarpeted, broken wheels on the desk chair in my room, 1st floor doors that don't open to the patio, a bed that nearly tipped over when sitting on the edge, no hangars in the closet - the list goes on and on.

This was probably a great hotel in its day, however, the day passed years ago.

I read the on-line reviews and got a recommendation from a local colleague of mine to stay here. The room rate was 50% more than other comparable rates at the Hilton and the Marriott. In many cases, when a local boutique hotel charges more money, they usually have higher standards and the experience matches the price point. In this case, it is not true. (P.S. - A standard for a world class boutique hotel would be the Driskill Hotel www.driskillhotel.com in Austin TX - a fabulous hotel and one that the Magnolia could live up to if they chose to.)

I would not stay here again and would not recommend anyone else to either.

On a positive note, I will say that the hotel did have one thing going for them - perhaps the best hotel staff - front desk, valet, bartenders, waitstaff. They were all first class. It's just a shame that the facilities themselves don't match their standards.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Travels4workalot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

My husband booked us the romance package for our honeymoon. He arranged for rose petals to be spread around the room, and champagne, chocolate-covered straberries, and a dozens roses to be waiting when we arrived. Note that he intended these as a surprise. When we got to our room it was empty. My husband went downstairs to notify them and was told that there must have been a miscommunication, and that they would take care of it immediately. So, my we went to the lounge for the cookies and milk hour. When we returned to our room it was STILL empty. My husand returned to the lobby to complain, meanwhile guest services showed up at our room. We waited in the hallway for the "romance package." Needless to say, this experience was very disappointing. We were celebrating our first anniversary and no matter how you look at it, the surprise factor was gone. HOWEVER, the staff at the Magnolia was very friendly. When we checked-out the next morning I spoke with the manager and he was very kind. In fact, he compensated us for our entire stay. His attitude and actions made all the difference!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

The hotel was delightful in every way. The staff and hospitality extended couldn't have been better. Room was very clean and decorated tastefully. Can't beat the downtown location...everything you want to see and do is within walking distance. The hotel offers a shuttle service to and from the airport and even gave us a ride over to a museum six blocks away when it was raining out. The room was decorated very tastefully and was very clean. Loved the extra perks...evening cocktail reception was very nice and allowed us to sit in the lounge and visit with other guests. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious..the evening cookies and milk were a wonderful end to our day. Would recommend the Magnolia to all visiting Omaha...you can't beat the hospitality.

Kansas City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

I was EXTREMELY disappointed with this hotel. I went for an anniverery and was looking for a memorable stay in a nice suite. I had the loft suite, which is one of the top $ suites available. We walk in the door and the carpet is old, there is an old tube TV, old furniture, the stairs up to the bed were old and squeaky. Honestly, it reminded me of an old worn out downtown apartment.

After complaining about it, they moved us to a normal room that was 1/3 of the cost. This room was actually nicer than the suite, but still only average. Still old carpet, and old TV, but the bathroom was remodeled.

The breakfast was horrible as well. Eggs were cold, toaster was broken, and they couldn't keep enough glasses out to get drinks. We get our food and sit down... the table could barely stand it was wobbling around so much.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

We got a great rate for this hotel so it was okay for the money we paid but I wouldn't stay there for full price. Check in is stated as 3pm. We arrived at 3:30 and were told our room wasn't ready. We were given vouchers for a free drink each (draft beer or house wine) neither of us really cared for the beer or the wine. I would have preferred to be able to choose a drink of my own choosing. We then sat in the club for an hour and a half. We were not able to check in until 5. Then we found a wedding taking place literally outside our windows. We were on the ground floor so there were people sitting in chairs right in front of us. Shortly after we got into our room we were interrupted by another couple that was given the same room as us. It was a bit unsettling having people walk into our room. Luckily we weren't doing anything embarrassing. There was also a used bar of soap in the bathtub and the walls were very thin. I could hear when the other guests used their bathroom and when the valet drivers left the hotel to bring cars around at midnight the banging of the door was very loud. The couple in the room next to ours got room service early in the morning and it sounded as though the man was knocking on our door and yelling room service. The staff was very friendly but a little overwhelmed. The pastry chef was checking people into the hotel! In the end for what we paid it was worth it. It is a nice hotel with a lot of character and charm.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

I stayed in the Magnolia for 4 nights while attending a conference. The room was clean and comfortable. There was lots of counter space in the bathroom. When I couldn't get connected to the internet in my room, the front desk sent someone up to help very quickly. Our conference used the hotel for a catered evening reception and the food was good with lots of variety. The shuttle drivers were polite and helpful. One afternoon, they weren't too busy and drove us to a location outside their usual zone. My only complaint--and caution to potential guests--is that their exercise room was closed during my visit and I had been looking forward to using it. Had I known in advance, I would have chosen another hotel offering conference rates.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

This is pretty much what you'd expect from a renovated downtown building turned into a 'hip' local hotel. On the plus side it has a cool vibe and you get to feel local. On the down side staff are not as well trained as in the chains and there are lots of quirks. Some people find quirks charming but I'm a business traveler so unless they are done very well (think the Heathman in Portland, OR) I'd rather go for solid, comfortable efficiency.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business