“It will be great in a few years”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Pros
Location near to business district and convention centre, not too far from Old Market.
Reception amazing, the lady who checked us in could not have been sweeter. Grey trouser suit, originally from Colorado, sorry I forgot to get her name, value her Marriott.
Shuttle to the Old Market is very useful - note reception person also drives the shuttle and you can call for them to come back when you are ready.

We walked back though and it was very pleasant. About 15 blocks or so.

Elevator, ice, free breakfast, free parking, all good.
Decor good in room and communal areas, clean.

Cons
AC VERY noisy
A few more pillows would be an idea on a king size bed as standard especially as they are so soft.

Pool and Exercise area
Pros
Good size towels but... see below
The pool was lovely and cool and the hot tub was HOT.

Cons
Almost no towels (2 left) when pool opened which we took and and still none brought in an hour later for additional pool users.
Discarded pop bottles littered around the area, chairs kind of haphazard, it had the feeling that no one bothered to check. Makes you wonder if they check the chemical levels at all?
Discarded wet towels on floor of patio and pool area.
Looked like the cement and paint was flaking, or worn away in the hot tub.
Most of all, get someone to clean the windows between the pool and patio. Those smears of grime do the hotel no favours when it comes to a general feeling about housekeeping.

Fitness Room
It had obviously not been cleaned.
As we left housekeeping showed up to vacuum. Power cord trailed across from door to entire area through to fitness room. Are there not power outlets in the fitness room that she could use?

Overall a good hotel. It is in a construction zone and yes, that brings issues but it is well placed and in a few years will be an ideally positioned hotel for both business and sports/recreation venues in down town Omaha.

Room Tip: High floors always seem to work better, at least for us.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jamie S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and tell us about your experience while you were here in Omaha.
We appreciate your kind words and look forward to what our area will become in a few years as well.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

First, I received an email from Marriott, as I do every Monday, advertising a discounted room at your hotel starting 7/3 for $89. I clicked on it to reserve a room for Thursday night with Fairfield Inn but it kept coming up as $109. I called and asked the front desk and they didn't know anything about a discounted rate and told me to call somebody the next day. I would think the front desk would know about a special rate being offered for the holiday weekend.

Second, I booked a room that was able to have a rollaway bed, according to the website. After I checked in I requested the rollaway bed and was told, by the woman at the front desk, I was not able to have it because of the room I was in. After showing her the website and her seeing that it allowed one rollaway, she wanted to argue with me about fire codes and keeping my children safe instead of trying to fix the problem. I was offended by this because she was almost implying that I was not worried about the safety of my children. I understand fire codes, but I also understand customer service. If the website says it allows a rollaway and I booked on that knowledge, you try to fix the problem, you do not argue with the customer. Sleeping was very uncomfortable that night, as my three children had to sleep together in a double bed.

Great location, breakfast was wonderful, room was clean.

Also, I emailed the general manager about this issue but never got a response, but I do see he responds to trip advisor reviews.

Stayed: July 2014
OMAFD, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Fairfield Inn Omaha. After I read your review, I found your email in our company spam file and responded back to you in a separate email. I apologize for the inconvenience my staff caused during your stay here in Omaha. I have used your experience to retrain our staff on proper procedures for rollaway and proper etiquette when working with customers and requests. We are also making sure our staff is aware of all special promotions that we are offering to make sure our customers get the best offers we have available.

Once again, I apologize for not responding a timely manner and also for the inconvenience you experienced.

We hope to see you again the future, so we can truly demonstrate the service I know our staff can offer your family and you.

Thanks again,

Christopher Johnson G.M.
Fairfield Inn and Suites Downtown Omaha

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were in town for a show at the Slowdown, and were looking for something reasonable within walking distance. We also walked to the Old Market (~1 mile) for lunch (I believe they also have a shuttle van?), followed by a walk down the Missouri Riverfront - so the great location was much appreciated! Neither of us felt unsafe at any point in our 2 night stay. The breakfast was better than average, with a good variety of cereals/breads/fruits/eggs/etc., even biscuits and gravy one morning (with delicious gravy!). Very clean and modern looking hotel, including lobby, breakfast area, and rooms. There is also a "market" with various snacks/drinks near the front desk, and the prices were very reasonable and the selection was good. Upon arrival, we noticed quite a bit of construction, and train tracks that ran very close to our window, but we were never bothered by the noise from either of these. Overall, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Omaha and we hope to see you again!
The location is undergoing some revitalization and we look forward to the end result and no more construction and blocked roads.
Please let us know if we can accomodate you again!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Hotel is pretty new. Close to everything downtown. Accommodations are as expected for a Fairfield. Breakfast was great, clean, and well maintained. Gentleman at front desk was less than happy.

My only complaint was you could hear everything! People outside my window down a few floors were loud until 1am. Everyone walking down the hall sounded like they were in my room. Every sound from the room next door could be heard. TIP: keep your AC fan on HIGH all the time for a good nights sleep to drown out the noise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Jamie S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

I am sorry to hear that there was some noise distrubances during your stay. We did get a group in that was very loud and did not know how to use indoor voices. We did inform them to be quiet several times but unfortunately they don't always listen once we are not around. We do our best to ensure that our guests get a good night sleep while they are here and when we take groups we warn them ahead of time of our party and noise policy and we do our best to enforce it. I know in our log book we did have a couple complaints about noise during your stay and we did talk to the individuals that were making the noise and we did not hear any further complaints. So sometimes everything can not be perfect and you don't always get the nice quiet groups and at the end of the day you just hope that everything works out. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Omaha and you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The entire place is EXCEPTIONALY CLEAN. We loved it . The breakfast was excellent. I will say, it was hard to find, but that is minor. We truly enjoyed our stay. It was so nice to return to a room that was fresh and clean and a comfortable bed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jamie S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Without driving around this hotel, you would not realize that this hotel is in a very shading area.

Due to road construction, we made a wrong turn and end up behind the hotel. Located just one block away is a shelter with more than twenty people camping in the yard. The police were at the property with lights flashing. Directly behind the hotel is a vacant railroad or warehouse property with overgrown vegetation. The hotel is very new but the lot did not appear to be secure compared to the area. The overall location will be great one day, given the proximity to the new college World Series stadium but for now I didn't feel safe having my family stay here.

We notified Marriott of our concerns and they rebooked us in a new location. We did not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christopher S

Thank you for your concerns, but we have not had any issues with security or safety. There is a shelter that is 4 blocks away and the city of Omaha built that after we were already opened. By having that shelter it at least keeps them off the streets and out of our hotel lobby. The police cars were here assisting a guest that had a problem with the security system on their car that night. I am sorry if the lights were on and alarmed you. There is some construction on the corner by our hotel, they are tearing down an old building and going to make an apartment building. The construction should not have bothered anyone because they do not work before 8am or after 5pm and we have 3 enterances that you can use, there was only one that was closed due to road construction and on our website it does let guests know that there is other enterances. I am sorry that you could not stay with us and experience my wonderful staff and service that we provide.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very comfortable and convenient. Staff is Super nice. Christine is THE BEST and just an AWESOME representative. We stayed here from the CWS and had a great time. I can't select the actual dates we stayed because it wont let me go that far back. I'm new to writing reviews and i just wanted to make a statement about how happy I was at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your response and I am glad that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay with us. I encourage you to review hotels when you stay at them on this site because it is a great tool for us to recognize those that are giving outstanding service and also ways to improve your stay for next time.