“Jekyll and Hyde Experience”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha
Ranked #31 of 81 Hotels in Omaha
Hattiesburg, MS
“Jekyll and Hyde Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Our AmericInn visit occurred during a major event weekend-- the Berkshire-Hathaway annual meeting. We were prepared for higher room prices but not prepared for some negative lodging experiences. This was our Jekyll and Hyde experience. Even so, the good points outweighed the bad ones.

The property is an older one. Even with some refurbishing, its age is beginning to show. The AmericInn brand appears to be at least the third name associated with the property. It has also been known as Hampton Inn and Westroads Inn. Lodging properties, unfortunately have a tendency to decline as they change from one brand to another. I have rarely encountered a situation where a “new brand” is actually better than the original brand.

The inn’s greatest strength lies in its location near Westroads Mall. With the exception of one event site at Century Link Center, we were close to our other event sites.(Even the trip from the inn to downtown Omaha was relatively convenient and easy to navigate). I also give good marks to the friendliness and helpfulness of the front desk and other employees. The complimentary breakfast was acceptable, but the dining area was just a bit quirky in layout. The availability of 24-hour coffee was a real plus. Same goes for the free Internet service in the lobby.

The first three days of our stay were in the Jekyll mode; the last day was definitely of the Hyde variety. Upon our return from a Sunday brunch, we found two situations that basically cancelled any further afternoon plans. First, the elevator quit working entirely. We were required to make an immediate unplanned move from 4th floor to ground floor. The inn did provide two employees to help with the packing and re-location.

Second, and adding insult to injury, the heating/air conditioning unit was not working properly in the second room. More time was lost in waiting for the necessary repairs to be made. All in all we lost valuable time having to be subjected to the problems of lodging maintenance. I will say that the front desk personnel did their best to mitigate our negative experiences.

I was disappointed that no comment/apology for our inconvenience was even mentioned at checkout. I had expected something in the way of an apology and possibly a modest discount on the final night’s room rate, but neither was forthcoming.

I would not totally rule out a return visit to AmericInn, but I would approach another visit with some concern. The property continues to age, and based upon my observations and overheard conversations, I have the feeling that the property is deferring maintenance across the board. I don’t have a lot of confidence that things would go smoothly in a subsequent visit. But, who knows. I may give them a second chance.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Marsha F, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
We'd love to have you return when our new indoor pool and hot tub are up and running! We'll make your stay worthwhile, I promise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

We booked our stay for a quick family trip, late arrival early departure plan. We arrived 8 hours ahead of schedule and the staff just smiled and set us up with our room. After traveling 8 States as part of my job, I got used to checking in and out of hotels and barely being acknowledged. The staff here wasn't like that, they were excellent. Always smiling and helpful. At breakfast, my daughter noticed that the cherry Danish spot was empty, the lady working in the breakfast area not only refilled it promptly but also brought one to our table and offered it to our daughter. The beds are very comfortable even though they are double beds. We had absolutely NO COMPLAINTS about our stay and will book this hotel every time we are in the area. Thank you for making a quick trip feel like a vacation.

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room, it is set back off the highway enough to be quiet but still...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Glad you loved it - we loved having you. The cherry danish are awaiting your return!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed here and were extremely pleased with everyone and evertything. The staff was extremely professional. During the might we were called due to a tornado warning in Omaha. Fortunately there was no tornado, but the situation was handled extremely well. Our room was whistle clean. The bed was very comfortable, and the pillows were out of this world excellent. We go to Omaha frequently and this will be "our" hotel from now on.

• Stayed May 2013
Marsha F, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
What a night, huh? Glad you love the pillows and hope to see you here soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We had a great stay at Americinn. Everyone was friendly as can be. Maddie made awesome cookies and did outstanding work. I would return to this hotel if she was always there at our times of need. The breakfast was also great. Overall great hotel and great staff!

• Stayed May 2013
Good to hear you had a great time. Staff is terrific, aren't they!
Montgomery, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

These people were super nice. Almost every hotel in Omaha was booked for some track meet. We were so glad this hotel could squeeze us in. The place was crawling with high school kids but we barely heard them because they put us far enough away from the pack. Ice was an issue but then the place was packed. Parking was too. The room was nice and cozy, the beds were so comfy and the place was nice ad clean. My only complaint was you could not put 2 people in the bathroom at the same time. But that is minor.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Marsha F, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
We're so glad that you stayed with us! It was a busy few nights with the State Track Meet and all. Hope you come back when our pool and hot tub are completed early summer.
cleveland,ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at the DoubleTree when I'm in Omaha but, due to a very large convention we were put in this MOTEL.
When we pulled up to the hotel we noticed there were a group of guys in their room, with a case of beer siting in the window sill.
I checked into my first room but, there was no heat (its 40 degrees outside). I called down to the front desk and the young lady said she's coming up to check (this mean no maintance). She comes up and unplugged the the heater and plugged it back in. It started up but I forgot to check to see if it was heat. Of course it wasn't heat but nice COLD air. I called back down and the same young lady said she was coming back.
I waited 15 minutes and I went to her. Both ladies looked surprised. They gave me a room on the first floor but it has heat. On my way to my room was very scary as you can see in the photos. The room smelled like smoke but, I always carry room spray with me.

• Stayed May 2013
Marsha F, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
We're glad you stayed with us. I'm sure you toured the hotel and saw that it was only that very small corridor where we are adding our wonderful indoor pool and hot tub for our guests. The hotel was full that night so we were happy to have a room for you. Please come back again when our renovations are complete!
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I was in Omaha to visit a friend. She lived nearby and recommended this property based on her family visits. I had never heard of this change but reckoned it was worth a try. I was not disappointed. The staff is exceptionally friendly. The room was very nice, though a bit "spartan." And I was one night away from a new mattress; the third and fourth floors were changed out and they came to deliver mine on the second the morning of checkout. The workout room was small but the aerobic equipment was fine (no weights). The breakfast was very competent--I didn't try the hot stuff (eggs, waffles, and sausage) but they looked fine. My first room was by an elevator--I went back down to the clerk and she gave me new room down the hall one floor down without batting an eyelash. The clientele appears to be more family than business. You are within walking distance from a mall with theaters and restaurants. All in, you are getting a very competent, clean hotel experience with breakfast for a reasonable price. I would go back on a return trip.

Room Tip: Based on a remark from the night clerk who signed me in, you can find rooms away from the elevator a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Marsha F, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
We certainly would love to have you come back and experience our new beds, fresh paint and brand new indoor pool and hot tub opening in June. We're very excited about the renovations and we know you will be too!