“Disappointed”

Holiday Inn Express Omaha West-90th Street
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stay frequently at Holiday Inn Express's and I think this is the only one I have stayed in that I wish I stayed somewhere else. The property is in a busy location that is hard to get in and out of due to the major street and to get to the property you have to navigate through one-way streets to get in the right direction to enter in the one driveway. The staff seems unhappy and not as friendly. When we arrived we were told that we would have to change the type of room we had due to an unexpected stay over from the previous guest. We understood the circumstances but they wanted to put 4 adult in a room with a king bed and sofa pull-out. When I objected to the pull-out the person got the manager on-duty. He was a little testy with me, I did not appreciate the attitude. He did find us a room with 2 queen beds. The hotel lobby was noisy and full of people who I gather from the shirts they were wearing were in town for a family reunion which was great but, no one else at the hotel could even get into the area. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The ice machine on our floor was not working. The TV takes about 5 minutes to warm up and about 2 minutes to change channels. For the most part it was quiet. Some of the family reunion was on our floor and had noisy children in the hall but not after 9 pm. The breakfast area was mediocre food and once again, full, spilling out into the lobby with this family reunion. Very noisy. The jaccuzzi didn't work, and the pool was full of young children most of the time. The laundry room only has 2 washers and dryers there is competition for the machines.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo Ann R
Traveler1Nebraska, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Omaha West-90th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. We always welcome feedback good and bad. We are always open to suggestions. I am sorry that you did not find our location convenient. I am also disappointed that you didn't think our staff was friendly. I apologize that I appeared to have an "attitude" with you. I was under the impression that you were happy you received the room type you originally wanted (double queen) with a significant rate reduction. I will definitely change my approach when interacting with future guests. All of our public areas are for all guests. The family reunion was OK with this and they did welcome other guests into the areas. I am sorry you were not able to enjoy those areas.We did get our ice machine fixed. We are also in the process of installing new HDTV's in our rooms. This will eliminate the long "warm up" time of the TV's in the rooms now. The Jacuzzi didn't work because someone pushed the "emergency stop" button. When this happens, there is a 24 hour recycle time before the jets will work again.

I hope I was able to answer some of your concerns your family experienced while staying here. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Our two night day at this property was way below what we come to expect at HIE. For some background this HIE converted from the Comfort Inn chain so it is not a built from the ground up HIE. Check in was reasonable, but not a strong welcoming greeting. My wife and I checked in, the clerk was dressed more for maintenance that front desk, asked if he could offer us a bottle of water. We assumed that meant a bottle for each of us but apparently a bottle of water is just that, only one. Our reservation was for a "king leisure" room which generally is larger than the "king standard". We were in room 419 at the end of the hall. Granted it was clean but talk about small and dark! I had to ask the clerk again is this was a leisure and not a standard and was advised it was. Here are some of the low points: no wash cloths in the room either day (towels yes, wash cloths no), a tile floor that looked clean but seemed sticky when wearing slippers, a slow tub drain, and a TV remote (the "clean" TV remote) that worked only if you aimed it at the right spot. The ice machine was out on our floor. The table clock in the room was set incorrectly. I have to come back to how dark and small this room was. Three lamps and you had to wait for the ceiling fixture to brighten up to use the 2nd sink. Also, the bathroom door opened into the room, not into the bath. Awkward. The room's only chair was an ergonomic work chair, no room chair of sofa. Some hall noise but only in the morning. Breakfast even on the weekend only went until 9:30 so we didn't try it..
The good? The common area were clean and far brighter than the room, The bed was comfortable, The pool area was nice and it was pretty easy to hook up wifi, even on an IPod Touch.
Even when leaving the front desk did not ask how our stay was. You'll never convince me this was a king leisure room. We might try it again for location but certainly not in room 419.
All in all very disappointing

Room Tip: 419 was an end of hall room. I assume 219, 319, 519, etc are also, They are really small. Stay away...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Traveler1Nebraska, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Omaha West-90th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review of our property. Reviews good and bad assist us in providing a great experience.

While I am disappointed that you didn't find our hotel to be up to your standards, I did want to hit on a few points:

1.) The Front Desk Agent that checked you in is a very valuable asset to our hotel as he assists in maintenance as well as the front desk. He saw that you were checking in and didn't want to keep you waiting. He wanted to provide you a quick and efficient check in experience so you didn't have to wait.

2.) All IHG Rewards Members are entitled to 1 bottle of water at check in. If a guest requests more than one, we are always happy to accommodate that request!

3.) I apologize about the confusion with the "King Leisure" and "King Standard" rooms. They are both the same room type. Moving forward, we will streamline our communication to either "King Standard" or "King Leisure" so there is no more confusion.

4.) I am now overseeing the housekeeping department. I will ensure all rooms are stocked with the appropriate number of wash clothes.

5.) I'm guessing my room attendant used too much floor cleaner on your room. When that happens, it does get sticky. Our housekeeping supervisor will ensure this doesn't happen again.

6.) We changed the batteries for the remote in your room. It now works a lot better!

7.) All of our ice machines are now functioning.

8.) The clock in your room is now set correctly.

9.) If you want a chair or couch in your room, you can always ask for an upgrade to a suite. The cost of this runs anywhere between $10-$50/night.

10.) We are committed to preserving the environment. We are using energy efficient light bulbs in our rooms. It only takes 10-20 seconds for them to warm up the entire way.

11.) I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our public areas, pool, and wi-fi!

Again, thank you for your valuable insight. We have made the necessary corrections so another guest doesn't experience the problems you encountered. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is my second trip to Omaha, and let me tell you, this place is so nice. Yes, it's not the ritz or anything, but I feel more at home here than anywhere else. Only down is how to get into the hotel...dodge street is traffic central! Special shout out to Chris at the front, the poor guy was swamped with people calling but he was very patient and helpful with all my requests, he even brought me breakfast to my room since I had a 4am departure out of the hotel, which was ABOVE my expectations for a Holiday Inn Express. Keep up the good work! I'll see you all again soon!

Room Tip: Don't get a single queen, also if you need anything, ask guest services. They really go out of t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cliff B
Traveler1Nebraska, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Omaha West-90th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so humbled to hear how our hotel is a "second home" to you. I am also so proud of my staff. They do a great job of taking care of our guests. I will pass along your kind words to Chris. We are looking forward to your next stay with us!

Best,

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Where to begin? I am usually not the kind to diss a property, it takes a lot to make me unhappy. That said, this Holiday Inn Express managed. We checked in okay, although usually when I check in as a Priority Club member, they have the key precoded, quick signature, and we're on our way to our room. Took a bit longer here. Got to our room - it was supposed to be two queens, but if so, these were the smallest queen beds I've ever been in. Got worse when we went to bed, about 10:30. I note one reviewer liked the dog-friendly approach - well, we had other guests on our floor who are the type to stay in the hallway till 2 in the morning, with their barking chihuahua and screaming kids. I realize that inconsiderate guests are not really the hotel's fault, but it seems to me an occasional sweep through a relatively small hotel like this one would identify these issues. Moreover, the doors and walls do nothing to attenuate noise. Usually I turn the AC fan up high to drown out noise like this, couldn't do it with these AC units without turning off the AC, and it was 98 degrees outside. Bottom line, we didn't get much sleep, and when 6am rolled around, we were ready to grab the complementary breakfast and get out. No such luck - at 6:45 (we were told breakfast started at 6) there was no sign of any breakfast service at all. Nothing was out, and there was no one in sight at the front desk. We cut our losses and went to McDonalds, but I'm out $18 that I would have saved if breakfast had been there as advertised.

On this road trip, we stayed at three Holiday Inn properties because I felt that Holiday Inn should be a reliable choice. Two of the three were fine, this one was decidedly not. If you're reading this, I understand most reviewers are rating this property fairly well - make your choice if you want to take the chance. I will never visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SpringsTS
Traveler1Nebraska, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Omaha West-90th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am always very appreciative of positive and negative feedback so we can continually review our policies and procedures to ensure a great stay.

I am very sorry for the issues that you experienced while you stayed with us. The noise from the dogs and the kids in the hallway is definitely unacceptable. We do have pet friendly rooms, however, we have strict policies the dog owners must abide by. We also have a noise policy in place. In this case, we didn't enforce the policies like we should have. I will immediately re-visit our policies and procedures in place regarding noise complaints and our pet friendly rooms.

I am also very sorry that our breakfast wasn't out on time. There is no excuse for our breakfast to be 45 minutes late. I will immediately correct this issue so it doesn't happen again.

If you have the time, I would like to speak with you about these issues you've encountered. I can be reached at 402.343.1000.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I would love the chance to take care of you in a better fashion next time.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

This is a great property! Check in was extremely smooth. Front desk staff was friendly and personal. The room was basically spotless. Breakfast was amazing as it always is with Holiday Inn Express. I am planning to stay here again when I go back next year!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Trvl4wrk2
Traveler1Nebraska, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Omaha West-90th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing review of our hotel! It is always a great feeling knowing that my staff is taking good care of our most valued guests. We can't wait to welcome you back to Omaha!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I called the day before our stay and spoke to Chris to ask if this hotel was actually "dog friendly". Chris had such outstanding customer service (way above and beyond what I had ever experienced)! This inspired me to take the time to send an e-mail to the general manager about the great employee they have trained. I booked the hotel and the next day I inquired about upgrading to a whirlpool suite, because my husband is a high school baseball coach and has been suffering with back problems. I thought it would be a nice surprise for him on this rare weekend off. This time I spoke with Amber who was fabulous. She even told us the room was ready right away and we could check in. Arianna also helped us with a smooth check in. Room was perfect and breakfast was in my top 3 of all time. Very dog friendly, too!

Room Tip: Best dog friendly hotel I've stayed in, so far! Whirlpool suite on 5th floor is beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TAGteacher

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that our staff could "wow" you with our service! Our staff realizes that YOU are the most important person on our property. We will always go above and beyond to deliver wonderful service to our guests. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I can't wait to meet you the next time your travels bring you to the Omaha area!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel was very clean and the two employees working the desk throughout our stay were super friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was more than cereal and pastries. It included sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy, juices, pancakes and bagels. Indoor pool was clean and the hot tub was a nice bonus. The room was nice and adequate in size for the two of us. We don't require much space though. Bathroom was also clean. Location is about one mile East of 680 and also near the Children's Hospital.

Room Tip: I went through Hotwire and was pleased with mt result. We paid $50 versus other sites at $80.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottGault

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! I love hearing feedback from our guests perspective. I will pass on kudos to our entire staff. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the clean rooms, location, breakfast, and pool/hot tub. Please ask for me the next time your travels bring you to Omaha. I would love to thank you in person for being our guest.

Best,